• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Phil the Drill: The Intro

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Hello everyone! Been looking for a forum like this for a really, really long time. I found it through the National Novel Writing Month forum, which is also a great place to meet other writers of all different stripes.

I teach at a university in Japan and have held a slew of other jobs beforehand. Chicken inspector, rack salesman (the racks you put chips on in stores), hurricane relief quality assurance inspector for FEMA, administrative assistant for oil spill clean-up, commercial plumber, and library assistant. You know, "character building" jobs. I have also interned for a small press publishing company where I oversaw manuscript evaluations for about a year and a half.

One of my strangest attributes was my stint as a professional wrestler (hence my profile name.) I wrestled for 4 years on the independent scene, wrestling in bars, at fairs, high school gyms, and National Guard armories. Won several championships including NWA (National Wrestling Alliance) titles. You know, the good life.

My dream was to wrestle a bear, but I never got to do that.

I write fantasy primarily with a slant more towards the weird and or/dark. My fantasy heroes would be George R.R. Martin, Robert E. Howard, Joe Abercrombie, Steven Erikson, China Mieville, and others. I also like history (and alternate history), primarily Chinese and Japanese, although I know little of either.

Never been published, with the exception of poems about Hurricane Katrina, because I've never really tried. In about 10 years of writing fiction, I've only submitted a handful of things. That's about to change though!

In my spare time I write, read books, play video games, and post blogs about random stuff. I'm engaged to be married any day now. I love living in Japan and I am also working on a manga right now.

I like to use parentheses as much as possible (all the time).

Parqstu

Minstrel
Hiya Phill,

I like your story. Especially the professional wrestler. I'd say you can still wrestle a bear, hah.

What games do ya play?
Congratulations on the engagement! My cousin became engaged recently. What a wonderful thing.

How's living in Japan? Is it a busy place? And how are the schools there, deciplined?

I use to draw manga aswell for a year or more. I'll show you a peice sometime if i can.

And welcome :)

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Thanks Parqstu! Mostly the games I play are RPGs (Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy). Right now I'm playing Borderlands, which is like a 1st person shooter/RPG.

My friend is drawing the manga, I'm just writing it. It would be cool to see your stuff sometime.

Japan is great. I have lived here off and on for about 2 years. The area I live in isn't too busy, but it is close to Tokyo which is extremely busy all day and night. The schools are pretty good here, but I only have a handful of experiences with that so I don't know if they are all good.

I still go to wrestling shows here in Japan, but for now I am "retired." But as we say in wrestling, no one ever stays retired. So I might wrestle that bear yet.

Welcome aboard. Look forward to reading your work in the showcase. Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 are my top playing games right now on the Xbox. And after downloading the DA2, I'm ready for March 8 to swing up so I can start playing again.

Congrats on the engagement! And good luck with the bear! :)

(oh, and there's nothing wrong with parentheses.) ;)

Welcome to the forum Phil. You're the first mention of Joe Abercrombie I've seen on here (I'm frequently blind, so apologies if I missed someone else mention him). Another outstanding author who will probably end up going a long ways.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Welcome Phil!

You certainly have a unique and varied history.

Have you pre-ordered Dragon Age 2 yet? Also, do you usually play the Japanese of English versions of these games?

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Thanks, nice to meet you all! I want to get Dragon Age 2, but it costs a lot to buy in Japan. I don't read very much Japanese either so I have to get the English version. I'll probably just order it from Amazon Japan though if it is available soon. Looking forward to it big time!

Greetings, PtD! As you're a Martin fan you automatically get a pass: when the revolution comes and I start shooting anyone whose reading habits I disagree with you'll happily be spared a rather painful death (I'm no good with a musket).

Welcome to the forum and all due apologies for the lateness of my welcome - I'm old and not too observant.:D