• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Need Opinions Please.

Saigonnus

Auror
Dwarves:

Physical Aspect: Dwarves stand between 4 and 4.5 feet, and stocky; often weighing in at over 180 or 200 pounds. They generally have dark hair and light colored eyes; and since they typically reside in a very warm climate, have no capability for growing body hair. Their skin tone varies with the climate, though mostly it is a darker tan from the jungles. Their digits are generally shorter and thicker than those of kobolds, elves or humans and their facial features rounded.

Construction: In the depths of the jungle, they use earthen homes; generally mounds of earth, nicely furnished and reinforced with carved wooden columns and bracings overhead, decorated with intricate designs. They often have nice windows and doors, and plant grass over the gentle curves of their homes. Often times, they grow herbs or other plants as well. The floors are ornate tile work in colors that represent a given family and often with heraldry included in the designs. They typically include the trees around them into the design of their communities, removing only those trees that they have to for sake of transportation, food production etc.

Religion: Long ago; prior to five thousand years earlier, the Dwarven race held polytheistic beliefs, but became followers of a single god they call “Insert name here” (a manifestation of Aeshir) after a tragic series of event culminating in the decimation of the race. Those that survived slowly converted to monotheism, redecorating their old places of worship with new symbols and trappings; becoming the new religion of the Dwarven people. As a follower of “insert name here” you must attend a nightly/daily gathering that usually lasts for an hour. The ceremony includes solemn singing and a blue flame; dwarves throw in tokens that represent their problems, burning them away and bringing better fortune (hopefully).

Jess A

Archmage
I like your version.

What about their cultural behaviour? For instance, politics, leaders, role of men and women and children, army, fighting? What are the differences between the clans, what is their relationship with other races and with the land around them, what do they trade in?

Sounds good so far.

Aurelian

Scribe
I like It solid well explained. Basic hostory is well provided but I agree with Jess, what kind of Government do they practice (Oligarchy, Parliamentiary democracy, Dictatorship, Monarchy?) Tactics, and overall technology.

Great Work.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Very interesting, and I have certainly never seen jungle dwarves before! Love the details you have so far.

Just two things. You say "jungle" and little people and I immediately jump to "pygmy." Do your dwarves come from the jungle? And if not, what brought them there?

Also, I love the details in your earthen homes (does this indicate a previous subterranean existence?), but are they piles of dirt on the ground, or dug-outs? If dug-outs, you may want to look into possible water table/excessive moisture issues. Jungles by nature tend to be warm, wet, humid environments, where vegetable matter (among other things) decay rapidly, which could be an issue with your wooden support pillars. Also, insects might be a major problem in ground dwellings in a jungle environment. There are many reasons why so many creatures of the jungle make their homes in the trees, and swarms of insects - think army ants - are a big one.

Saigonnus

Auror
Just two things. You say "jungle" and little people and I immediately jump to "pygmy." Do your dwarves come from the jungle? And if not, what brought them there?

They've always lived on the island, which broke away from the continent early in the history of humanoid/human life. Like with earths' homo erectus and neanderthals they both existed for a long time togethber, but since they became isolated by the formation of their island, they thrived instead of dying out (like those on the mainland for the most part), becoming their own race of people in the world. Technologically and intellectually, they are the equal of the other race.

Also, I love the details in your earthen homes (does this indicate a previous subterranean existence?), but are they piles of dirt on the ground, or dug-outs? If dug-outs, you may want to look into possible water table/excessive moisture issues. Jungles by nature tend to be warm, wet, humid environments, where vegetable matter (among other things) decay rapidly, which could be an issue with your wooden support pillars. Also, insects might be a major problem in ground dwellings in a jungle environment. There are many reasons why so many creatures of the jungle make their homes in the trees, and swarms of insects - think army ants - are a big one.

I was thinking that they dig out the homes, but also have some way to divert the excess water (i.e a moat around each of the home lots or a canal system); they are pretty good at construction. Most of the island they come from is a couple hundred feet above sea level however, so the water level generally isn't a problem. Along the southern and western coast, the low-lying communities aren't in the jungle anymore, the trees having been cleared away (they are still in close proximity) and the buildings are indeed elevated to protect against the frequent squalls and high-tides.

You are spot on about the pillars, hadn't really considered it. Either they will treat them in some way (some naturally occuring oil) or use stone; though I really wanted to steer away from stonework. Also with the presence of magic (not super latent in Dwarves) they could easily keep bugs out of their house with wards, and protect the pillars the same way to keep the water away.

Last edited:

Saigonnus

Auror
I like It solid well explained. Basic hostory is well provided but I agree with Jess, what kind of Government do they practice (Oligarchy, Parliamentiary democracy, Dictatorship, Monarchy?) Tactics, and overall technology.

Great Work.

Thanks, I was thinking something like a parlimentary democracy; each village/community sending three leader(s) to protect their interests while in the capitol. The three part counsel elects a leader for each of the three main aspects of the kingdom; military, economy and religion. Most decisions are made by a majority vote from the counselors. The counselors themselves cannot serve more than ten years at a time, and must wait 5 years before they are eligible for reelection. Males and Females are pretty much equal and both are present in the counsel since it's the females among the dwarven race that are capable of magic; a "gift" from their manifestation of the one god (the religious counsel is all women).

Militarily, they begin training as children at the same time they are learning their normal lessons of history, speech, and the like. They can use any weapon within reason and very well and wear any sort of armor they want. They don't do alot of mining (except by prisoners/convicts etc) and often trade with the kobolds for what ores they use to make their weaponry. Each community keeps a small standing army to protect the city and it's environs and are organized into mixed units. These units include scouts, light infantry, heavy infantry, light pony soldiers (used for hit and fade or scouting), mounted archers, dragonriders, archers, engineers, priestesses (for healing) or alchemists.

Queshire

Auror
Ah, Dwarves, one of my favorite topics. Hm, personally I would go with having them live in the mountains like generic dwarves but then something happens to force them to the jungle. You still get your twist on the trope that way as well as addressing the average reader's expectation of Dwarves.

Mmm.... fluff-wise it seems good enough, though I can't really give much of an opinion until I know what role they are supposed to play in your story.

Jess A

Archmage
Ah, Dwarves, one of my favorite topics. Hm, personally I would go with having them live in the mountains like generic dwarves but then something happens to force them to the jungle. You still get your twist on the trope that way as well as addressing the average reader's expectation of Dwarves.

I disagree (from a personal POV). I have no problem with dwarves being in the jungle. I see your point but it wouldn't bother me personally as a reader. However, the idea you proposed there would make an equally interesting story and maybe add some tension.

That is another question, though - what role do the dwarves play in the story, Saigonnus? I made up a really cool species before deciding the plot. So I will probably have to modify the species according to the plot.

Hm, personally I would go with having them live in the mountains like generic dwarves but then something happens to force them to the jungle. You still get your twist on the trope that way as well as addressing the average reader's expectation of Dwarves.

I disagree (from a personal POV). I have no problem with dwarves being in the jungle. I see your point but it wouldn't bother me personally as a reader. However, the idea you proposed there would make an equally interesting story and maybe add some tension.

I'm with Queshire; it isn't that dwarves "have" to be in the mountains, but saying they used to be there touches base with the cliche to let the reader see you know that and recognize that you're departing from it. It's often a good idea when writing something that varied from a tradition.

Of course, simply ignoring those ways makes its own statement, that your world is completely different and doesn't take time talking about what it isn't. Two valid ways.