• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Best console RPG of this generation?

What has been the best RPG of this generation of consoles?

• Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dragon Age: Origins

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Demon's Souls

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Fallout 3

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Final Fantasy XIII

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Mass Effect 2

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Valkyria Chronicles

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Fable II

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 6 11.5%

• Total voters

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Well, I see Oblivion but there's no Skyrim?

I've heard Demon Souls is awesome but isn't for the weak of heart. I may be picking it up in the future since my heart is not very weak. :)

Of those that are listed, I'm going to have to go with Mass Effect 2 though. I played through that game three times.

SlimShady

Troubadour
Dragon Age is easily the best on the list IMO. Although of those on the list I've only played Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, and Oblivion. I've played plenty of other rpgs not on the list, but Dragon Age takes the gold everytime.

The story and characters are so immersive. I've played the game so many times I've lost count.

I know it's not of the current generation of RPG, but I downloaded Heroes III yesterday. So fun, always has been.

I really can't even bring myself to play any game long-term other than Civilization.

Reaver

Staff
Game of the Century

ZORK--No contest.

“It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.”

What game has better dialogue than this?

Aw, man. I stumbled into another maze of twisty passages, all of them alike. Why does this keep happening to me?

I don't have time to play new-gen console games much these days, so to throw back a little, I'd have to nominate Dragon Warrior as my favorite console RPG of eras past. Man, I loved that game.

kadenaz

Scribe
DAO has poetry in it. Really, it's not like "let's put ALL the epic elements in one single game"
it's like "let's tell a story".
A-W-E-S-O-M-E

Rullenzar

Troubadour
I'm not voting because I am tied between two games. Mass effect as a whole 1-3 is probably number 1 on my all time top 3 list Dragon age coming in at a close 2nd. My third is also a tie between Final Fantasy 10(Ps2) and Zelda Ocarina of time and Majora's Mask (N64).

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I've never played any Mass Effect games. Almost bought the first one last weekend. Maybe I'll go back and get it. It was under 20 bucks.

Rullenzar

Troubadour
Ya if you haven't picked it up yet I highly recommend it. It's great because you have conversations with everybody and that really immerses you into the whole world. That and the fact that every decision that you make effects the world from game to game. Example: Some characters can die or you let one die and save the other in his/her place and they are with you at end. It also effects the world as a whole leadership wise for different races or complete genocide for others. It's interesting and it's all on you.

After you beat one you can load your save data to the next and so on.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Ya if you haven't picked it up yet I highly recommend it. It's great because you have conversations with everybody and that really immerses you into the whole world. That and the fact that every decision that you make effects the world from game to game. Example: Some characters can die or you let one die and save the other in his/her place and they are with you at end. It also effects the world as a whole leadership wise for different races or complete genocide for others. It's interesting and it's all on you.

After you beat one you can load your save data to the next and so on.

I'm going to buy it soon. I like BioWare as a rule. I've even enjoyed SWTOR to a decent extent because of the conversations and story lines they use to pull you into the world. Of course, their stand-along RPGs are much better at it.

Rullenzar

Troubadour
I liked SWTOR but I hated endgame content. I made an operative and dominated people with the faceplant. It was priceless. But aside from the same battleground over and over and same couple of last instances it got old fast. Don't plan on going back.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I liked SWTOR but I hated endgame content. I made an operative and dominated people with the faceplant. It was priceless. But aside from the same battleground over and over and same couple of last instances it got old fast. Don't plan on going back.

Yeah, I often drop off at end game. My imperial agent is only level 31 and I'm not on that often to begin with (too many alts too). if I get to the level cap I doubt I'll play much beyond that.

Cinder

Scribe
Mass Effect 2 is my favourite game ever, but in terms of RPGs it has to be Oblivion.

Oblivion > Skyrim

Yep.

I hated Demon Souls, But the others were mostly all good. Oblivion, Mass Effect and Dragon Age were the best up there tho, hands down.

shangrila

Inkling
I loved the Fallouts, but for a traditional fantasy I think I prefer Dark Souls. They're not easy games to play/beat, but that just makes it sweeter when you finally do.