• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Continuing to write while planning a novel...how do I do this?

C

Chessie

The title of the thread says it all. :)

I'm in the process of research and planning for my book, not ready to start the writing part of it. I'm wondering how authors out there continue to write and hone that skill while plotting/planning their WIP. I didn't want my writing to get rusty so I've been writing little fanfics and prompts to keep my creative juices flowing. However, I've gotten sick of this and it seems more like a waste of time than actually getting me ahead on this project. Any suggestions, oh so brilliant writers out there?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Well, I tend to think of plotting itself as writing - writing down the bones, at the very least. We, my writing partner and I, write hyper-detailed outlines (because I am seriously retentive that way), so it's basically pre-writing. What we tend to do around here while in the development stage is either RP character development, or write character sketches which may or may not work their way into the finished work. We also tend to have several balls in the air, so if I feel a serious urge to make pages, I just hammer away at another project. Many other authors will write short stories involving their current project. Also, research and planning always gets my creative juices flowing, just taking the cool stuff I'm learning and trying to fit it into our world.

Addison

Auror
Keeping the imagination fresh and the wheels turning is fine. But there is a limit. If you exercise it too much, like your regular body, then when you're ready to do what you really want to do, write or dance, you'll be sore and exhausted. Only do these prompts or fanfics if you're stuck, on a day off, or at the beginning of the day to get your warmed up.

What type of research exactly? I suggest one part research, one part writing, two parts fun-reading.

C

Chessie

Addison, that sounds like a good recipe. I've been doing research on various elements I find interesting and am thinking of adding into my story, though I don't have a clear picture yet of plot and most of the characters. It will come but I want to keep exercising my writing muscles so to speak.

Thank you for the suggestions as well, aelowan. I also find research stimulating. :)

C

Chessie

Addison, that sounds like a good recipe. I've been doing research on various elements I find interesting and am thinking of adding into my story, though I don't have a clear picture yet of plot and most of the characters. It will come but I want to keep exercising my writing muscles so to speak.

Thank you for the suggestions as well, aelowan. I also find research stimulating. :)

C

Chessie

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Write a short story or three set in your world. Help you with both figuring out what you need to research more and with the writing.

Addison

Auror
Try flash fiction. A piece, just a snippet, a taste, of anything and it can only be fifty words long.

I've found a weird relief. Get a big piece of clean paper, loaded pen or sharp pencil, and write "Block" over and over until you finally start writing something else.

I think most people don't really write when they're plotting (I think), unless they're part discovery writing like me or for some other new-fangled reason I don't know about. What's the first draft for, after all, right?

It's a fair idea that you want to keep your writing in shape, and I suppose Addison's ideas can work out well for that.

But it might be a little of an overload sometimes (for me, anyway).
So really, it depends on your personal tastes. Some people encourage writing snippets in your world, some slam it, saying it might distract your attention from the real plot in your world. It depends on what you think.

You might get tired eventually, like you have now, so you have to find something that you enjoy writing, and is not a bother, while working out the plot of your story.

Flash fiction sounds promising.

C

Chessie

Having trouble? :D

HAHA Yes, I didn't know how to delete them after all that trouble my phone gave me.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I like the idea of writing short stories about my story, somehow I always thought that would end up frustrating me more. I love this forum, everyone on here is always so helpful!