• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Controversial uses of magic

korabas

Dreamer
Hi all. With magic in fantasy sometimes I like to explore its effects on regular people and society as a whole, rather than hero-mages. I have a couple of ideas right now, one about the effects of removing magic from a society that has come to take it for granted.

The other is perhaps a little controversial... magic in the hands of over-matched resistance fighters. Basically magical suicide bombers.

The reason I want to write about this is to explore ideas of national identity, invasion and colonialism, as well as the implications of terrorist tactics on a fantasy society. To be clear, I do not want to glorify the act of using extreme power in this way — but I do feel that exploring the motivations of those people that do so, and of the survivors of such an act, would be interesting (if quite challenging).

Anyway! I am struggling to come up with a suitable system of magic to cover this, without getting out of control. The world I am working in is based loosely on Napoleonic era (think Sharpe), and light on fantastic creatures/races — I generally prefer fantasy that focuses on different groups of humans.

I think it is necessary that the magical power should be available for use by anyone, even if they don't understand how it works or is made - it can be handed over by those that do. With this in mind, it is similar to explosives, in that anyone can use them with a little training, but only a few can make them or understand them.

Despite being destructive explosives can also be used with good intentions, such as quarrying, demolitions, re-channeling the flow of water sources, etc. and I want my magic to do the same.

What I have right now is some kind of earth magic, where a user is able to tap into the power of the stone/earth to make alterations - which could be used to manipulate the ground or the stone of a structure to build (or destroy). The source of this power could be the general life-force of the planet, or it could be more specific and be something that is mined from the ground, in the same way as coal or oil. This works fairly well, in that it would give an invader additional motivation to move in on the territory. If it is a sort of 'living rock' that could be good, as it would be replenishable over time (harvesting would need to be controlled, giving motivation to the resistance fighters) and could also mesh with the user if the draw too much power, which starts to poison their body and possibly turn it to stone.

This power could be useful, if the user is only able to use it locally (a 'suicide bomber' could then take down a building by unleashing force next to or underneath it). But what kind of limitations could I impose on this power that would a) limit the users from using it too much, and being too powerful and b) allow the users to use it an extreme fashion to facilitate an extremely devastating strike on a settlement ?

And now i'm rambling!!! As you can see, this idea is only partially formed. What do you guys think? Any ideas on how I could develop this?

shangrila

Inkling
Going off the ideas you've already presented...

A) I like the idea of too much turning them in to stone. Perhaps go further and have them need to "recover" after each use to stop that transformation as well. So, for example, using the power at level 10 turns you into stone, but if you use it at level 5 two times without letting your body recover, you'll still turn into stone. Level 10 could also be something cataclysmic, like an earthquake or a sinkhole, which would fit into the idea of suicide bombers.

B) Well, I already kind of described that above, but after rethinking it it would probably be better to rethink it a little. Whatever turns you to stone probably shouldn't be as bad as I first said. Maybe a low level earthquake at best instead of an end of the world. But, if you were to use it as a finite resource as you suggested, and you strapped some poor guy with enough of it to go 5 times above what would turn a man to stone...well, sink holes and earthquakes would just be the beginnings. Hell, you move around the tectonic plates right and you can cause a volcano.

Honestly, I think you've done a great job already. You've got the basic outline of a simple yet interesting magic system. All you really have to do going forward is nut out the details, which would mostly be figuring out the limitations and source of the magic.

Addison

Auror
Your source of magic sounds something like a mythical take on Avatar. Instead of a new awesome fuel source it's a source of magic to control the earth.

It sounds like you already have a strong idea of your magic and a firm understanding of how it works. Sometimes, if you have the story in mind and the basics of the magic, you'll figure out the nuts and bolts as you type.

korabas

Dreamer
Thanks guys, both useful encouraging responses. I think i'm still at that early idea stage where all the bits and bobs are floating around my head and I can't quite see how they mesh together with the plot ideas, etc. I think I might pin up some big sheets of paper and do some proper brainstorming! Cheers

Saigonnus

Auror
Well, let's see. I remember having a religious character for a gaming campaign that was a zealot. He didn't like the fact that the city of Ashenford had religious freedom even though their principal religion was his own. He was a mage as well as a priest and as the campaign progressed, he attracted followers to do his bidding (mostly for intimidating members of "rival" religions and sowing chaos), and when the time was right and the whole city was on the verge of a major religious conflict, he used strategically placed "dig" and "stone to mud" spells to undermine the foundations of the other temples in the city so that one by one they collapsed and prevented them from organizing much of a resistance.

If you are able to think outside the box a bit you can do just about anything at all. Just contemplate the spells you are working with a make a list of as many possible uses as you can. With enough lists, you may find two or three spells will work great for a specific purpose; one that will accomplish the goals you want for your story.

Meyrrek

Dreamer
I like the idea of 'fossil fuels' being the source of magical energy, as that in itself is finite. So with finite resources in mind you could also couple that with some type of physical weakness that is spawned from over-use of magic - perhaps a life threatening illness or an addiction to the material (like drug addicts) that would eventually kill the user?

shangrila

Inkling
Thanks guys, both useful encouraging responses. I think i'm still at that early idea stage where all the bits and bobs are floating around my head and I can't quite see how they mesh together with the plot ideas, etc. I think I might pin up some big sheets of paper and do some proper brainstorming! Cheers
You know, it might be worth investing in a whiteboard. I did about a year ago and it helps a LOT in the brainstorming phase. Plus, it only cost about $120 Australian for roughly 1.2m wide and 0.8m high.

Addison

Auror
Another way of brainstorming which has helped me is post-its. Each post it (I have stacks of different colors, one for setting, one for character, one for conflicts etc) I jot down conflict points, characters, setting, plot points or even ghost plots, and slap them onto the wall above my desk.

I have several things I want to say.

First in reference to the OP's one sentence about the effects of removing magick from a society that takes it for granted: this sounds like a great spin on the classic apocalypse stories where magick is what is removed instead of technology. You then have the potential for lost "technology" (magick) becoming available in limited quantities to influence the post-apocalyptic world scene.

In reference to magick being a natural resource--this is a great idea and one that was explored a lot in the video game Final Fantasy VII. There, sources of natural magick crystallized into spheres called materia that were used to replace technology. Power companies developed that were able to manufact and refine materia and develop new ways to utilize it as well. In regards to the ideas you brought up, having an object that is able to be harvested enables you to have your untrained use and opens up power struggles over the natural resources.

As far as limiting its use, I think it sounds like a drug and repeated use risks "overdosing" and possible addiction, which then increases the chance of overdosing.

Finally, in regards to brainstorming. I highly recommend whiteboard/bulletin boards (smaller ones are available for very cheap), but I also especially like using post-it notes and Microsoft OneNote to bring together all of my notes.

And always carry a notebook or something and something to write with. Inspiration can strike anywhere and anytime.
Excellent idea. I was doing this until I switched over to a voice recorder--then I realized that my smartphone had a voice recorder option also. It is very useful when stuck in traffic or unable to write.

korabas

Dreamer
Indeed, my phone also does voice notes, and it also does reminder notifications, so even if i forget to make more detailed notes when I get home, my phone will remember. It also reminds to do things like feed the cats and have a shower (I have a terrible memory and get distracted very easily!)

Regarding Zero Angel's comments over the magic source behaving like a drug - this is actually something I want to avoid to a certain extent, as I am keen on the magic/drug idea and depicting a world of magic junkies, and the poverty it would cause. Another story idea!

So that's 3 distinct ideas here, and I don't know which one I want to work on first! argh

So that's 3 distinct ideas here, and I don't know which one I want to work on first! argh

Find a voice that you want to carry you through at least one of the stories and start there. Sometimes voices pound their way to get out onto paper (or monitors...) and sometimes you have to search for them, but they are always there for a worthwhile story.

That's what I do anyway.