• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dreams

I don't know why but I always have strange and bizarre dreams. I'm not usually someone who takes naps during the day but I have noticed that when I do, I have very weird dreams. I guess it is because my body isn't used to going to sleep that early or something but when I dream from taking naps, I usually have about six or more dreams that all seem to last only a few moments and when I wake up it's almost impossible for me to remember them. Anyways, I thought I would share some of my random dreams with you all!

(All of these are real dreams and I am not making any of them up)

When I graduated high school my friends and I went to a place called Ocean City (used to live in Maryland) for senior week. In case you don't know what that is it is where the entire graduating class goes to the beach (in my case Ocean City) from the first Saturday after graduation until the next Saturday with no parental guidance whatsoever (Don't worry the people I went with were pretty chill and we didn't go out partying like everyone else. I'm not really the party type) My friend Tyler's father owned a condo down there so we payed him a small rent fee and we got to stay there (and it was pretty nice)

Senior week was the most fun I've had in my entire life. It was just a blast and after I got back home I had multiple dreams that I was still there. Well I had this one dream where I got a call from my friend Tyler. He invited me back to the condo and that senior week was back. So I drove down there but when I opened the condo I found a note that said, "Hey while you are here can you take care of my pets for me?" I realized I was tricked and stormed off to the pet store to buy food.

I came back with like ten pounds of bird food (don't ask me why I bought bird food as there was no indication that any of the pets would be birds) and I walked into the basement and there was a giant hippo! I threw the bird food on the ground and shouted, "What am I going to do with all this ####ing bird food?!?!"

I went upstairs and found a Gorilla in a hospital-style bed and he was hooked up to like a respirator thing. We talked for a little bit (can't really remember everything that was said) but he was dying. I asked what would happen to him when he died and he said, "It is ok. When I pass on, she (the hippo in the basement) will become queen of the pack." For some reason I then called the Gorilla some sort of insult (can't recall it) and then the dream ended.

--------------------
One time I just had a dream where I was watching myself sleep... How entertaining.

--------------------
I used to have this nightmare all the time as a child and it scared me so much. Back at my old home when I was first growing up, the kitchen had a laundry room right next to it. There was a western style “cowboy saloon” door that led to the laundry room. I remember I was standing in the kitchen and I was looking at the doors. They were swinging back and forth and a low growling noise was coming from them. I turned around and tried calling my mom but there wasn't an answer. The doors began melting and I ran away. The now liquified doors were chasing me up the stairs and no matter how fast I ran I never got any father up the steps. The liquid wrapped around my legs and pulled me down and then I would wake up

This is probably the funniest dream I have ever had. I think I was ten when I had it. It was the night before Christmas and I dreamed that I woke up and went downstairs to get presents. I watched my little brother open up all his presents and then I asked, "Where's my presents?" My dad laughed at me and said, "We didn't get you any!" I cried and ran back up stairs and went back to bed. Then I awoke from my dream but I didn't realize it was I dream. I thought it really happened! So I walked downstairs and my dad said, "Hey come open your presents!" and I started crying and shouting at him and telling him to shut up. Five minutes later we were all laughing about it.

Shockley

Maester
I keep a dream journal, actually. I find waking up in the morning and rushing to write them down keeps me sharp/gets me up and writing earlier than I would otherwise.

(This is kind of graphic)
This is the scariest nightmare I have ever had. I had a dream where I was in the woods and I was staring at a mirror. The mirror showed me except my face was different. I had an expression misery and sadness on and I was crying and then slowly the features on my face disappeared. The only thing that was left was my mouth and my reflection let out a gurgling wail and black ink began spewing out of my mouth. The ink began leaking out of the mirror but I couldn't move or try to run away. My reflection was banging against the glass and then it broke out of the mirror. My limbs were horribly deformed and were bent at impossible angles.
-----------------------

I had another nightmare where I was standing in an all white room. I felt sick like I was going to throw up. There was a tall man standing over me who was talking but his words were indistinguishable. I couldn't see him clearly either like he was far away and was blurry. I began vomiting blood and then eventually my organs out. And then it ends there. When I woke up I did not go back to sleep. I was freaked out! lol

-------------------------

One time I had a dream where I was sledding down a huge hill with my little brother and we went off this ramp and we flew off of the world. We were flying through space and into all these crazy space clouds. It was really cool!

---------------------------

I had a scary dream one time where I was at a pool party with friends and I jumped off the diving board and dove into the water. The pool was only about twelve feet deep but when I opened my eyes underwater I felt like I was at the bottom of the ocean. I was swimming up toward the surface but I could never reach it. I was drowning but I didn't die, I just kept struggling to surface which I never did.

------------------------------

I'm not sure why but the past few days I keep having either,
A) a dream where I am a figure watching myself sleep

or

B) a more pleasant dream but after I wake I can only remember random things from it and can't really piece together what it was I dreamed about.

Last edited:

Kit

Maester
--------------------
One time I just had a dream where I was watching myself sleep... How entertaining.

Potentially, very much so. If one is open-minded to such things, that could be an instance of travelling out-of-body or shamanic journeying, not just a garden-variety dream.

If that ever happens again, try to go somewhere specific, and see what happens.

Potentially, very much so. If one is open-minded to such things, that could be an instance of travelling out-of-body or shamanic journeying, not just a garden-variety dream.

If that ever happens again, try to go somewhere specific, and see what happens.

I can never control what happens in my dreams. I never realize I am dreaming no matter how strange it may seem.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Androxine Vortex said:
I can never control what happens in my dreams. I never realize I am dreaming no matter how strange it may seem.

Look into lucid dreaming training. I have no clue if it works but I researched it for a story once.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I also keep a Dreams Journal, and since I do this, I have improved my dream recall skills dramatically with the goal of developing Lucid Dreaming... Which has already happened to me in several occasions =)

Those are fun dreams Vortex, sometimes my dreams are very surreal too and that's exactly my favourite style of dreams.

My last nightmare was about some sort of paranormal creature (all my nightmares are related to the paranormal world) which was something like a witch of grey skin and no eyes. She had an ancient-looking mirror where a little girl was trapped, and her mother was forced to be the servant of this witch for thousands of years so her daughter would be released someday...

The witch could fly like a shadow across the sky, she lived in an old abandoned house surrounded by forests and fields... I could see people walking into the house not knowing what was in there, and then I would hear them screaming and nobody would ever come out.

I love funny dreams, and really get frustrated when I have dreams about my common everyday life- Now I have discovered that eating cheese before going to sleep works well to cause good dreams, you have to try it!!

Look into lucid dreaming training. I have no clue if it works but I researched it for a story once.

I have actually looked into it and tried learning how to do it but I could never get the hang of it. I would love to realize I was dreaming though. It would be like going into the matrix but knowing your in the matrix lol

I also keep a Dreams Journal, and since I do this, I have improved my dream recall skills dramatically with the goal of developing Lucid Dreaming... Which has already happened to me in several occasions =)

Those are fun dreams Vortex, sometimes my dreams are very surreal too and that's exactly my favourite style of dreams.

My last nightmare was about some sort of paranormal creature (all my nightmares are related to the paranormal world) which was something like a witch of grey skin and no eyes. She had an ancient-looking mirror where a little girl was trapped, and her mother was forced to be the servant of this witch for thousands of years so her daughter would be released someday...

The witch could fly like a shadow across the sky, she lived in an old abandoned house surrounded by forests and fields... I could see people walking into the house not knowing what was in there, and then I would hear them screaming and nobody would ever come out.

I love funny dreams, and really get frustrated when I have dreams about my common everyday life- Now I have discovered that eating cheese before going to sleep works well to cause good dreams, you have to try it!!

Hmm not a big fan of cheese but okay. What was it like to lucid dream? What did you do?

Kit

Maester
I am good with dream interpretations, but unfortunately I have to know a person pretty well to be able to do it.

My mother bought a "dream interpretation" book, and was telling me about a dream she'd had and what the book said that it meant. I said, "No way, that means ____" She kept insisting that the book stated that A stood for B. I said, "But not for you, because such and such happened to you in the past and so you correlate A with T." She wouldn't listen to me. :(

It's not like doing a language translation; there are some concepts that mean the same thing to a majority, but most times the allegories are very specific to the individual.

Kit

Maester

It can sometimes be learned. Some of your other dreams suggest you could have a talent for lucid dreaming or shamanic journeying. If you're interested, you should do some research.

If your previous try at learning lucid dreaming didn't bear any fruit, it could just have been not quite the right technique- or maybe you weren't ready at that point. May be worth another try using different methods.

Last edited:
It can sometimes be learned. Some of your other dreams suggest you could have a talent for lucid dreaming or shamanic journeying. If you're interested, you should do some research.

I don't know as far as an out-of-body-experience but lucid dreaming has always interested me. I have tried it before but it never worked.

Kit

Maester
What was it like to lucid dream? What did you do?

Usually, as soon as a person realizes that they're dreaming, they wake up. When you realize you're dreaming, but are able to stay in that state (or more commonly, come half awake and then sink back in), you can sometimes control the action to some degree.

I don't have nearly the frequency or control that I would like, but as soon as I realize I'm having a lucid dream, all I want to do is fly. I'm like "OMG! Here I am! Yowza!!! Hurry up and fly before you wake up!!!!" LOL. :bat:

Usually, as soon as a person realizes that they're dreaming, they wake up. When you realize you're dreaming, but are able to stay in that state (or more commonly, come half awake and then sink back in), you can sometimes control the action to some degree.

I don't have nearly the frequency or control that I would like, but as soon as I realize I'm having a lucid dream, all I want to do is fly. I'm like "OMG! Here I am! Yowza!!! Hurry up and fly before you wake up!!!!" LOL. :bat:

Now I want to watch Inception

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Inception is really a terrible movie from a dreamer's point of view.

When I realize that I am dreaming most of the times I just wake up, but in some occasions I have managed to stay in the dream and gain some degree of control over things...

In one of my lucid dreams I found a freaking beautiful castle in the middle of a forest, and then I started to fly all around it while I watched the intense light of daybreak coming to my eyes across the trees.

The colours are something so beautiful, something that we cannot see in waking life, and you can find places so incredible that lucid dreaming is a little scary because you may wish to stay there and do not come back!!

If you want to learn to do this, the first step is to start your Dreams Journal =)

Saigonnus

Auror
I have odd dreams all the time; most of which I don't write down since I can't imagine a way of incorporating them into a serious story (like riding on a school bus with William Shatner and a bunch of huskies heading to Alaska for the Iditerod)

Those I do write down though I complete as fully as possible so I could potentially use them IN a story or as the basis of a story (I have had a few of either type)

One of these dreams was the following:

*I was standing on a lifeless and barren plain with strangely striated mountains and hills on the horizon. I was wearing a light pressurized suit with a helmet and gloves and my hand clutched a strange tubular device that emitted subsonic sound. Growing domes were visible off in the distance; and like often happens in a dream, I knew what crops were grown within and also that they housed the colony's livestock. When I pushed the button, the ground begin to rumble and I felt the ground shifting beneath my feet. At first it was just a rumbling in the bedrock, but soon the loose dirt began moving in a whirlpool pattern thirty feet across and I had to move as a creature emerged from beneath me. It was a worm whose mouth was just as wide as the hole it had just made and was nearly 90 feet long when fully sated, and I knew it had eaten the rock and that it's "waste" would be plain soil and the undigestible minerals.

I knew the creatures had been found in deep space in what was assumed was an asteroid belt; but in reality was the remnants of the planet they'd eaten to the point of it's destruction. They'd been bred over two centuries to survive in any climate and are perfect for terraforming new planets and mining them, limiting the needs for machines (only to collect the ore and minerals).*

That was one concept that is slowly becoming something.

Amanita

Maester
It's interesting that you lot are having many vivid dreams too. I often have them as well but I still don't understand what they might mean.

Last night, I dreamed that a very dangerous chemical substance was being manufactured in my old high school with students still being taught there. I was one of the students but at the same time someone told me to push a button related to the chemical manufacturing process. At first, the dials went black and I got worried but thought it had stopped itself. The people in charge of that got upset over it but they managed to get it back to working mode. I was glad that my action hadn't done any serious damage.
Afterwards I was standing in line with many others so I could go to the toilett. Standing in this tight line got me worried again so and finally decided that I'd rather not go to the toilet because I wanted an escape route.
As soon as I was out, an alarm was going off and many people fled the school. I was with another girl who might have been another member of this forum, but I don't remember this part clearly anymore. We tried to get away as quickly as possible because the gas would kill anyone nearby if it got released. Then we started discussing how far it might spread and the other person thought I was wrong first, but in the end, she believed me. After this we stood in front of a street which was so full of cars we couldn't cross it. This was where I woke up.

I'm often dreaming entire stories and they aren't real nightmares even though they might seem like it from the description. They're acutally quite interesting and might be from similar sources as my day time stories.
The worst nightmares I've had so far involved my younger sister being brutally executed. I've dreamed this a few times and I really don't know why. It made me feel quite ashamed even though I couldn't influence it of course.
My most common nightmare involve myself drinking water and realising that it was poisoned afterwards. I've been dreaming that many, many times and from a very early age. Still I don't know what it's supposed to tell me. After waking up, it usually takes a while till I dare to drink anything again.
Sometimes, I'm having pleasant dreams where things I wish for happen and I'm quite sad about waking up.

Jess A

Archmage
I love to dream. They are always vivid and sometimes I lucid dream. It is fun to walk or fly around my dream world knowing that it is a dream because I can create things. Sometimes, I write entire stories in my dream, and music, too. I solve problems in my dreams. I create new worlds, new creatures (one features in my book) and I shape-shift a lot - normally into something that can fly or run fast.

Something else I do is 'dream' whilst awake (so not true dreaming). Before I fall asleep, I vividly see things, but I am still awake and I can move/hear things. It's very strange. Sometimes it's so vivid it is as though I am in the place I am seeing and that place is not a memory. Very strange - they are sometimes what I would imagine astral projection to be like, but I am sure it is the amazing ability of the human mind to create such scenes. I do not take drugs in case anybody is wondering. -Chuckle-