1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Fantasy Must Read List

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by Joe the Gnarled, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Ok, now say you were on a poor college kid's budget, but really like to actually own a book in your collection (none of this kindle nonsense or books borrowed from a library). Which books are the number one must reads? How do you all rank these books?

For example, the Wheel of Time series in quite an expense, especially if there are better books out there.

2. mythique890

mythique890 Sage

You can probably find them used on Amazon. I've gotten books from there for $2 before.

Jack in the Green likes this.
  3. julienlegault

julienlegault Scribe

I just picked up A Wizard of Earthsea. It was surprisingly hard to find, and you'll be saddened to know they categorize it as "Age 9-12" now to move more copies. Sigh. I am still excited to read it, and then some of the others on this list! :)

4. rayne

rayne Dreamer

The last Herald Mage-Series is also one of my favorites. I would definitely add that to my list. I did think that the Arabat series was rather boring and hard to follow. Anyone else feel this way?

5. Angharad

Angharad Troubadour

My daughter loved Abarat when she was a teenager, but I haven't been able to finish it although I tried twice. I'm not sure why, it's very clever and imaginative, but it just doesn't hold my attention.

6. Gutendaug

Gutendaug Acolyte

Very helpful list. I am just getting into fantasy, and I love writing. You can't write what you don't read's my motto, and this will start me on reading some great books.

7. Merc

Merc Dreamer

@Joe... Directly after reading the list, I immediately thought of the first law series. Can't get enough of Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold is pretty amazing too.

8. Kit

Kit Maester

+1 on the Anne Bishop Dark Jewels books. Truly a unique spin- not just another fantasy series.

Along with Song Of Ice and Fire, two of my three all-time favorites.

The third being: the Fifth Millenium series (Meier, Wehrstein, and Stirling). Start with Shadow's Daughter by Meier (I already pimped this book in the "well-written deaths" thread.) Meier and Wehrstein are currently doing weblit serials set in the Fifth Millenium. The former took a minor character from the dead-tree series and ran with it; the latter is rewriting her main character's storyline into a much-expanded version.

9. Masronyx

Masronyx Minstrel

Garth Nix, Guy Gavriel Kay, ANYTHING by Patricia McKillip, Some good choices. I have read the Abhorsen series, the Fionavar Tapestry was awesome, I loved it, and I have always been a fan of McKillip's writing style and novels. You've also listed a bunch for me to look out for. But I'd also like to add Robert E. Howard and C. L. Moore (Jirel of Joiry and Northwest of Earth). The Sword and Sorcery era of the early to mid 20th century has some of the best stuff.

10. phoenixwings

phoenixwings Scribe

Thanks for the lists of these, some i have read and am fond of, others i can now purchase and get into them. I have always been a fan of fantasy and and reading some of the books that have been mentioned makes for better writing in this genre.

Thanks again. :)

11. Robdemanc

Robdemanc Acolyte

What about 2001, that is fantasy really.

12. Janga

Janga Minstrel

The King Raven trilogy by Stephen Lawhead is a great spin on the Robin Hood story! Check out the first book in the series "Hood". I enjoyed it immensely.

13. Sami

Sami Acolyte

Trudi Canavan is currently my favour author and has been for a number of years.
    I must suggest that 'The black magician trilogy' by her is most definitely a must-read series.

14. Jack Vance's "Dying Earth" and "Lyonesse" series. He just turned 95 not too long ago.

15. Reaver

Reaver Kwisatz Haderach Moderator

16. Haha, thanks for the support, man! :)

17. Reaver

Reaver Kwisatz Haderach Moderator

I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it! :D

Seriously, everyone...you gotta read this!!

18. xerolee

xerolee Scribe

My favourite authors would be Robert jordan, trudi canavan, brandon Sanderson ( mistborn trilogy), George martin

19. charleshudgen

charleshudgen Dreamer

I love to read novels and with what you posted I read some of it. I saw some different novels there and I will try to read it maybe next week. Thank you for posting those books and keep us updated.

20. Elder the Dwarf

Elder the Dwarf Maester