• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Redfrogcrab

Troubadour
It is only with the advent of the modern fantasy genre that wyverns were considered distinct from dragons. A silly development that has penetrated the minds of fantasy fans but isn't reflected in history.
I actually like this, wyverns are theoretically feasible dragons that are also true reptiles, using the current understanding of Evolution and taxonomy

Dragons are a distinct class of land vertebrates in my mind, coming from ancestors with 6 limbs instead of tetrapod 4 limbs
Wyverns are just big lizards whose forelimbs became wings (like birds and the now-extinct pterosaurs)

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
As far as dragons in a historical sense go I rather like Wyrms. They're just gargantuan snakes when it comes down to it, but there's a theory that my province was named after them in a roundabout way. I accept the etymology of "Dragon castle" as truthful, even if it turns out the true origin is just "Linden tree castle."

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Genuine question, where would a scientific analysis on dragons go in the forums?
I'd say "Brainstorming & Planning" would fit best, but maybe "Research" if you're looking for people who have addressed the question before.

BearBear

Archmage
881822ebb65b3e7686624b9cb39bd92c.jpg