• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings!

Jamiro Vega

Dreamer
It's ironic that I can sit down to write a story and the words flow like water. But sitting here, trying to create an introductory post and my brain skids to a halt. Umm...what was I saying?

I've wanted to be a writer since I was fourteen but never actually pursued that passion. I wrote two short stories as a teenager and a movie script when I was in my twenties, but beyond that, I spent no time practicing the writing craft. Family and career became my highest priorities in life and I did not make the time to practice writing. But as time has passed and I have settled down (rather slowed down) I have rekindled my writing passion once again.

I was searching for information, pertaining to writing, on the web and just happened to find my way to this site. I've spent the past three days reading different articles and posts from the members and have found myself standing in a new light. I have the time and the motivation to take the next step and this site has given me the direction and inspiration I needed to proceed.

The writing gods have smiled upon me and I am ready to take up pen and parchment (I mean a laptop) and venture forth into the realms of my own imagination.

Jamiro Vega

Hello and welcome! You'll find that we are a very diverse and supportive group. We'll try to help you out in your writing journey as much as we can.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Jamiro Vega
Good to have you here.
DragonOfTheAerie is right, we are a a diverse and supportive group.
This is a great place to learn and share, chat and ponder, waste time and gain inspiration.
Pull up a seat and enjoy the show.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Welcome to our forum!

I came to this site in the midst of a research crisis. I knew what I wanted to write, but I wasn't sure whether it was feasible. It took a year before anyone here could actually answer that questions (thanks again, Fluffy) but by then, I was hooked and this became my home.

This is my one and only writing forum because not only are the people here my friends, but our members are genuine and we've worked hard to keep this an open and inviting community. So much help, and so much experience, all under one virtual roof. It's been awesome.

Hope you have as much fun as I've had here, and find the support you're looking for.

Jamiro Vega

Dreamer
@DragonOfTheAerie
Thanks for the immediate welcome. It's nice to see an active community and you appear to be an active member in the forums. I look forward to speaking with you more.

@CupofJoe
Thanks also for the welcome. I am starting to notice a pattern of participation in the forums. I can see that you are one of the more active members in the forums. I look forward to speaking with you further.

@Caged Maiden
Thanks for the welcome. This community seems alive and on fire for writing. I've read many articles since I arrived a few days ago, some of which were your articles. They were excellent articles by the way. I look forward to reading more of them.

I can see who are the more active and supportive members in this community. I look forward to the social benefits that can be gained by being a part of this community. I expect to learn much during my activity here and each of you can expect to see an equal amount of participation and support in return. I believe in reciprocity and I tend to give back in abundance to what I receive. I look forward to a long, fruitfull relationship with everyone in this community. Thanks again for the warm welcomes.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
*blush* Glad you enjoyed my articles.

May I ask which you found helpful? Just curious. I try to make them accessible to all, but challenging to everyone in a way, so I'm glad you found them useful. Not that I'm all article-minded, but since you mentioned it, I just wanted to say that most of us who've been here for a long time have archives of links to articles or have our favorite threads saved in subscriptions. So, if you find yourself really interested in a particular facet of writing, say, that doesn't have a forum like World-building does, feel free to just begin a new thread asking about your subject.

See you around!

Jamiro Vega

Dreamer
I have read many posts so far so I dont remember all the names of every one of them. But I do remember a couple of them very well and they both had your name on them.

"how can it get any worse"
Loved it. After reading I threw my head back and laughed maniacally thinking, "Oh how evil I will be with my next character(s)."

"Commiserate with me..."
I just about broke down and lost it while reading this one. Just remember one thing, your never alone. There are too many of us out here that feels the same way you do.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Ah! Thanks, that's great! I write articles for the home page and I thought that's what you were referring to, so that's why I asked. Always interested in what people enjoy seeing there. I don't know what you're into, but I have a couple I can link for you, and see if any of them amuse you, anyways.

Here's one on organizing stories (since you said initially you found our site looking for writing advice) And linked in this one is another article relating to one of my organization blunders (it's okay to laugh. I do): Anticipating Story Length

And my favorite, about editing (because after you write, editing can be really daunting): Target Editing - A Time-Saving Strategy for Writers

And the last one I did about sword-fighting (just a bit of fun, really): Swordplay for Fantasy Writers

Hope those help!

Jamiro Vega

Dreamer
I have seen some of your articles on the homepage. In fact, I read "Swordplay for Fantasy Writers" and "Target Editing - A Time-Saving Strategy for Writers." I forgot about those and did not list them in my previous post. That is why I stated I read many posts and could not remember all of them. I'm going to go check out Anticipating Story Length right away. Thanks for the list of articles. I really like what you write so if you have any archived articles or any older ones, that require a lot of digging to find them, I would love to read those as well. Thanks for your posts Caged Maiden, you have a fan.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Aww, flatterer! HA!

Here's some others that might interest you, in that case:

(With NaNoWriMo coming up, this one) NaNoWriMo: Four Weeks of Marathon Writing

How to Write a Query Letter (a really brief intro to query letters, but some good stuff in here)

How to Write a Synopsis (this one's okay but not great, in that it only focuses on a short summary, rather than the long-form synopses some agents prefer. Just keep that in mind as you read)

A Fine Line Between Love and Death - How to Write Love Scenes (I think this is one of my favorites because it was directly inspired by a conversation I was having with several writing friends)

(HA! My most controversial article) Medieval Archery for Writers

http://mythicscribes.com/character-development/characters-and-flaws/ (about characters with flaws)

hope you find some of those enjoyable or useful!