• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello, my name is Dan, and I am finally writing!

Xaysai

Inkling
My High School English teacher threw a fit the day she learned I was joining the United States Marine Corps shortly after graduating, and not moving on to college to pursue a career in writing. Maybe she was right or maybe she was wrong, we'll soon know for sure, but 15 years later I'm here with what I think are a few good ideas and just enough ambition to finally utilize the skills she always fought so desperately to convince me that I possessed.

Half of me wants to write so that I can finally pour these characters and stories and worlds out of my head, partly so they will cease their incessant nagging at me, but mostly so I can share them with the world by bringing them to life by pen or by keystroke - partly because I find them intriguing, but mostly because they've always been there to help me through those unsavory times in life, and for that, no amount of "thank you" will repay my debt to them.

Half of me wants to write because I'm tired of reading the same old fantasy story over and over: the hero from humble origins is destined to fulfill the ancient prophecy to save the world, get the girl and, oh yeah - the author always fumbles what could have been an amazing twist or ending.

The last half of me wants to write because I love the process of creation, I love the words, I love the sentences, I love the nuances of the English language, and I love to tell a story. I love the difference between what I want to say, and what I want the audience to hear.

I ask that you please bear with me, as it really has been forever and a day since I've made a serious run at putting pen to paper, and that as I participate in the Mythic Scribes forums you provide honest and constructive criticism so I may grow and learn, and I will promise to do them same.

Thank you for reading!

Dan

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Welcome Dan
You should find lots of support and help here.
My High School English Teacher cheered when I said I was taking Engineering at University...

saellys

Inkling
Thank you for your years of service, Dan, and I hope you have just as many happy years of writing!

MFreako

Troubadour
Hey there, Dan! It seems like you're really passionate about your writing. I'll be sure to check out whatever you have to offer.

Well I'm glad you came to writing in the end, and glad you found the Scribes. Welcome to what is possibly the most intelligent gathering of writers on the web (somebody prove me wrong?).

Xaysai

Inkling
Well I'm glad you came to writing in the end, and glad you found the Scribes. Welcome to what is possibly the most intelligent gathering of writers on the web (somebody prove me wrong?).

I've actually been having a blast since coming here.

And to be quite honest, it has helped me stay motivated to write because I want to be able to participate in the Challenges, as well as to post things in the showcase to be critiqued and to share with others.

Everyone has been terrific, thank you all : )