• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Help with gods

Morgoth

Dreamer
In my world my pantheon of gods all have the same type of divine power (though some are more powerful then others). What separates them is that they each represent different views or ideologies. For example, my god Altalar is the god of order, conformity, and collectivism.

However the gods have a more extreme side. For example, while Altalar is the god of order, his will to have it imposed turns him into the god of totalitarianism. So the gods can shift from two different states at times, which ends up causing a lot of problems.

The gods I’ve come up with so far…

Altalar: as described above

Crulath (will probably change name): god of free will, individualism, also god of anarchy and chaos

Neirae (don’t really like name, might change it): basically god of peace and harmony, though to such an extent that he forbids his followers from engaging in any conflict of any kind even if it is to defend themselves

Torothbal: god of work and architecture, but has no regard for destruction of nature and other civilizations structures that are in his way

Just want to know what people think of this, and suggestions as to gods like the ones above would be great as I’m finding it hard to think of any more that I find appealing.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my world my pantheon of gods all have the same type of divine power (though some are more powerful then others). What separates them is that they each represent different views or ideologies. For example, my god Altalar is the god of order, conformity, and collectivism.

However the gods have a more extreme side. For example, while Altalar is the god of order, his will to have it imposed turns him into the god of totalitarianism. So the gods can shift from two different states at times, which ends up causing a lot of problems.

Crulath (will probably change name): god of free will, individualism, also god of anarchy and chaos

Neirae (don’t really like name, might change it): basically god of peace and harmony, though to such an extent that he forbids his followers from engaging in any conflict of any kind even if it is to defend themselves

Torothbal: god of work and architecture, but has no regard for destruction of nature and other civilizations structures that are in his way

Just want to know what people think of this, and suggestions as to gods like the ones above would be great as I’m finding it hard to think of any more that I find appealing.

Gods can be a tricky thing to work with. Just keep in mind that just because a God represents an emotion or something like that, doesn't mean that that is the only one they are capable of feeling. Or maybe it is, it depends on how you write it and that''s why I believe they can get tricky sometimes.

I really, really like the idea of extremes in the Gods. I really like Altalar and Crulath the most and I could see them as being rivals since they are opposite. You seem to have a pattern that makes your Gods have a positive set of emotions, but also push those to the extremes. I am a huge Warhammer nerd so maybe this will help...
Khorne - Lexicanum
Slaanesh - Lexicanum
Tzeentch - Lexicanum
Nurgle - Lexicanum
You may not understand all the lore but basically they are all gods of emotion (literaly made from emtions) and are all pushed to the extreme.

What about the God of righteousnes, justice, and repentance and his extremes would lead to damnable penance? So he would sort of be all about being pure but pointing out every single wrong thing about you.

Or what about a God of Death and Afterlife who then become obssesed with morbid things and death?

Good luck!

Last edited:

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat

I don't have any suggestions for you, but I just wanted to say that I like this idea. Normally I'm opposed to the "god of...?" mentality because I think that gods should have personalities instead of domains. But you're building good story elements from the way you're playing with the concept, and I wish you luck with it.

Queshire

Istar
I doubt this is the kind of thing you're looking for but, how about a goddes of the wild places that was chained and forced to become goddess of agriculture?

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
I love the opposite bipolarness of your gods. Reminds me of Sheogorath and Jygglag from
Oblivion. In that case go for it! I can see their mood swings to cause quite the stir up in your world.

Good luck, you're on the right track!

I might even end up playing with this idea.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
You have some good ideas, but they need something to connect them altogether, to explain how they came to be. A myth cycle and a founder figure (elder god).

I love the opposite bipolarness of your gods. Reminds me of Sheogorath and Jygglag from
Oblivion. In that case go for it! I can see their mood swings to cause quite the stir up in your world.

Good luck, you're on the right track!

I might even end up playing with this idea.

Shivering Isles was awesome!

I also agree with Devor and sort of like I said in my earlier post. Just because there is a God of X, doesn't mean that ALL he can feel or represent is X. Typically if there are Gods who represent emotion, one emotion can lead to another and to another.

In my novels a priest describes and explains that the Gods do not typically represent any emotion. There is no "God of Fire" but a God may choose to associate himself with fire.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I like gods being like people, both good and bad, and with their own agendas..... i think it makes for a believable setting.

That being said, I love the polar nature of your gods. It is very creative, and a concept which would make me very interested to read it. I can already imagine a funny story based on gods who have lost their minds, and I wish you the best as you nail down your concept. It has loads of potential both serious and hilarious.

Morgoth

Dreamer
I really, really like the idea of extremes in the Gods. I really like Altalar and Crulath the most and I could see them as being rivals since they are opposite. You seem to have a pattern that makes your Gods have a positive set of emotions, but also push those to the extremes. I am a huge Warhammer nerd so maybe this will help...
Khorne - Lexicanum
Slaanesh - Lexicanum
Tzeentch - Lexicanum
Nurgle - Lexicanum
You may not understand all the lore but basically they are all gods of emotion (literaly made from emtions) and are all pushed to the extreme.

What about the God of righteousnes, justice, and repentance and his extremes would lead to damnable penance? So he would sort of be all about being pure but pointing out every single wrong thing about you.

Or what about a God of Death and Afterlife who then become obssesed with morbid things and death?

Good luck!

I don't know much about warhammer, I'll have a look through them and see what I find, thanks.

I had considered a god of justice but I thought it'd end up similar to Altalar. I think it's a good idea now though, will most likely make a god for both that and death and afterlife, thanks for the suggestions.

I doubt this is the kind of thing you're looking for but, how about a goddes of the wild places that was chained and forced to become goddess of agriculture?

Hmm no, I was going to make a god of nature but I couldn't think of a suitable extreme side for it.

You have some good ideas, but they need something to connect them altogether, to explain how they came to be. A myth cycle and a founder figure (elder god).

I already have an idea as to how these gods came about though I'm still working on it a bit. The gods dwell on the mortal plane and have their own lands so I don't know about making one chief of the pantheon.

Thanks again for all the replies, I'm really glad to know people think it's a good concept.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I already have an idea as to how these gods came about though I'm still working on it a bit. The gods dwell on the mortal plane and have their own lands so I don't know about making one chief of the pantheon

Having the gods dwell in the mortal realm is a risky but potentialy good idea.

As to the 'Head of the Pantheon'...nothing says this Deity still has to be alive. Could be in exile in some other dimension, or could be wandering around the mortal realms in disguise 'cursed by his children to roam without rest for ten thousand years and a day' or some such...with lots of local stories about the lone stranger who turned up one day and fixed things, only to vanish again.

I think it would be very interesting if the Gods lived with mortals. It would be even more unique if the Gods were not fully Immortal in that context and maybe there are assasination attempts against them! but that's kind of me just throwing stuff out there, i have no idea what you have planned.

kadenaz

Scribe
Find a point in your book where you have NO IDEA how to solve a situation, then invent a god that suits it and put it in the book (of course you should put this god before that moment, otherwise it would be obvious it's a "deus ex machina")

Hah, sounds like something I'd write. I love characters that can just flip. A God of Nature that can spaz out and go around killing to make lots of new life out of old life as its extreme might be an idea (eg. kill off an entire village of people who then become food for lots and lots of lovely little maggots and such). Who said a God of Nature wouldn't prioritise the humble maggot from time to time? So the God of Nature's extreme would essentially be the God of Death.

What you describe resembles the Hindu Pantheon. (Or just about any polytheasic religion for that matter.) Check that out for more ideas and to see how other culturs have set up their system. Usualy the God in question would not flip between one or the other, instead there would be two Gods. One for the positive one for the negative. Polar opposites if you will; yet each vital to the grand design.

Hope that helps :) Sounds like a book I'd read!

Morgoth

Dreamer
Having the gods dwell in the mortal realm is a risky but potentialy good idea.

As to the 'Head of the Pantheon'...nothing says this Deity still has to be alive. Could be in exile in some other dimension, or could be wandering around the mortal realms in disguise 'cursed by his children to roam without rest for ten thousand years and a day' or some such...with lots of local stories about the lone stranger who turned up one day and fixed things, only to vanish again.

Well, I have an idea for a creator god who made the world. Its long gone by the time the pantheon are around but is somewhat responsible for their existance.

I think it would be very interesting if the Gods lived with mortals. It would be even more unique if the Gods were not fully Immortal in that context and maybe there are assasination attempts against them! but that's kind of me just throwing stuff out there, i have no idea what you have planned.

The gods are only killable by one of their own. I did have an idea that a demi-god, a mortal who has been granted powers by their deity, would somehow discover he/she is now able to harm a god. He/she would set him/herself up as a god of revolution but after killing his/her deity would become the god of regicide (for lack of a better world, deicide would be more fitting but the gods are rulers also) and attempt to slay the other gods.

Find a point in your book where you have NO IDEA how to solve a situation, then invent a god that suits it and put it in the book (of course you should put this god before that moment, otherwise it would be obvious it's a "deus ex machina")

My story hasn't really taken any shape yet so I might well do that.

Hah, sounds like something I'd write. I love characters that can just flip. A God of Nature that can spaz out and go around killing to make lots of new life out of old life as its extreme might be an idea (eg. kill off an entire village of people who then become food for lots and lots of lovely little maggots and such). Who said a God of Nature wouldn't prioritise the humble maggot from time to time? So the God of Nature's extreme would essentially be the God of Death.

Hmmm I like that idea. I might make a god of nature after all.

What you describe resembles the Hindu Pantheon. (Or just about any polytheasic religion for that matter.) Check that out for more ideas and to see how other culturs have set up their system. Usualy the God in question would not flip between one or the other, instead there would be two Gods. One for the positive one for the negative. Polar opposites if you will; yet each vital to the grand design.

Hope that helps Sounds like a book I'd read!

I didn't realize my gods resemble the Hindu pantheon (what with knowing next to nothing about Hinduism). I'll have a look, thanks.

Well, if I'm going to be totally honest, I think these guys feel sorta... unnatural? Not sure what other word to use. Basically they don't seem like the kind of gods you'd find in a real religion. I mean, I've never even heard of a "god of free will", free will is something regular people tend to take for granted, whereas stuff like good harvests and winning the next war were important business.

I can totally see it work if these guys literally show up in person and go: "Worship us or else!" Gods do tend to have a lot of precense in fantasy. But the way you describe them, they don't feel like gods people would naturally start to pray to in their everyday lives, except possibly Torothbal. (Assuming he plain just doesn't care about nature as long as stuff gets built.)

I guess it comes down to the context of the story, though, so you can definitely make this work. All I'm saying is, rather the starting off coming up with interesting gods -no matter how fun that is- one might be better off asking exactly what purpose the religion serves to its culture and start from there.

Xanados

Maester
no matter how fun that is- one might be better off asking exactly what purpose the religion serves to its culture and start from there.

Exactly. One should try their hardest to avoid world-builder's disease.
Ground your story in a sort of pseudo-realism. That's what I'm trying to do, at least. Think about things first. Don't just wander blindly into things.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Exactly. One should try their hardest to avoid world-builder's disease.
Ground your story in a sort of pseudo-realism. That's what I'm trying to do, at least. Think about things first. Don't just wander blindly into things.

It does depend, though, on what story it is that he wants to tell. Please don't just assume that some portion of his plot doesn't revolve around exactly these points if this is what he's asking for help with.

Ghost

Inkling
Well, if I'm going to be totally honest, I think these guys feel sorta... unnatural? Not sure what other word to use. Basically they don't seem like the kind of gods you'd find in a real religion. I mean, I've never even heard of a "god of free will", free will is something regular people tend to take for granted, whereas stuff like good harvests and winning the next war were important business.

[...] All I'm saying is, rather the starting off coming up with interesting gods -no matter how fun that is- one might be better off asking exactly what purpose the religion serves to its culture and start from there.

I didn't respond to this thread because I wanted to see what others thought first. When everyone gave a big thumbs up, I felt like a weirdo.

I totally agree with Anders that this doesn't feel like something that would naturally grow from people's needs unless these gods show up after some sort of industrial revolution when people had the time to worry about free will and individualism. The other way I see it working is if it's in a religio-political context, where the churches are a play a major in governing and philisophical discourse abounds.

If these gods were around for a long time, it's difficult for me to imagine free will and anarchy being important unless the god personifies it in a different way at first. It's like if Dionysus eventually represented anarchy after centuries of being a party god. Maybe it was always a part of his domain, but it didn't become important to people until later on. But if he always stood for anarchy, I'd wonder what good that does the average citizen in ancient times. The farmer does his best to survive and Anarchy God pops up saying, "You could leave these fields uncultivated or set them on fire! You could steal grain from the other farmers!" and so on. Or maybe the god of conformity tells him, "The other farmers aren't doing it like that!"

Perhaps you already worked things out, but it's hard to tell going by the gods' domains alone. It sounds like they appear in your world, and they're real. What does it mean that the Altalar is in the physical world? How and why would a god change domains instead of gaining a new one, like your god of revolution/regicide?

I'm not trying to discourage you at all, those are just my thoughts.