• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Looking forward to Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

Because I've been trying not to get too involved with looking for everything Skyrim (that's sarcasm by the way), I find on you tube the announcement that Vampires are in Skyrim. AND that when you become one there's a whole different game play. The more powerful you become the more things like sunlight hurt you. (one of the reasons I didn't become one in Oblivion is that soon as you step outside you sizzle and seeing as how the majority of your quests take place in the day time.....being a vamper sucked - no pun intended). So how badass would it be to be a dragon-slaying, soul sucking, vampire?

Now I'm just counting down the days.

And Johnny I tried your link - it didn't play for me.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
I agree that vampires sound a lot cooler this time around. And the video must've been taken down, since it was leaked footage.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I'm holding off on getting the game until I finish NaNoWriMo after Nov. 30th. Sort of a reward for myself I guess. I'm looking forward to playing it for sure though!

Kevlar

Troubadour
I have to say, I wasn't hyped at all for the game a week ago. Now I can't wait, and am going for day one release at the local Walmart. Hopefully I don't get one of the uptight tellers that demand identification to by an M rated game, but if I do I'll just ask some random person to stand beside me. One of my friends did it and the teller actually congratulated him.

Perhaps one reason I'm hyped for the game is that I'm currently on my second playthrough of Fallout 3, which I got probably three months ago. I never got to play Oblivion, but this game has impressed me. In fact I'm posting from my phone, laying on my bed, with the controller beside me and Fallout on pause. Most games that are so graphically bleak become stale quickly for me, but that bleakness is endearing in Fallout. Oh, and all the retro touches. I love them. They made stuff look cooler back then...

Anyway I can see why some people may not like the game, and killing and dying both take too long on normal difficulty. I haven't experimented to see about the others yet. The reason I like it though is the world, and the realism. It's such an atmospheric game, especially with the radio turned off and the wind whistling in your ears. Not only that, but the choices, and the situations. My first character I played as myself: pragmatic, cynical, but a nice person and hopeful for humanity (I don't steal and never have in real life, (except for that time I pickpocketed a friend for a toonie ($2 coin, for those that don't know), but he got it right back) but in a survival situation I'm all for it. Now I'm playing a character that's the first two parts exaggerated. Bye bye Megaton.

Now that that off-topic infodump and the Inception-style composition of parentheses are gone I'll start talking about Skyrim again. I really hope they manage the sort of atmosphere and history Fallout 3 has. The combat looks very promising, and the Radiant AI sounds innovative. I've actually never been so excited for a game before. And the first-day incentive of a burlap map helps too. I clicked a link that led to a link that had a link that linked to Twitter and one of the developers said the whole first batch has them, not just the pre-orders. I'm sure Skyrim will blow Fallout 3 out of the water, and while I'll be sad if I find myself no longer liking it I'll probably be too absorbed by Skyrim to care. From what I've read absolutely nobody who's got to play the game early (lucky bastards that they are) has had the same experience. Some previews even read as entirely different games.

And on a final note, I've never played Rage or Hunted: Demon Forge, but I do know that their quality should not be indicative of games produced by Bethesda. Both, like Fallout: New Vegas, were produced by someone else and then published by Bethesda. Publishing other peoples' games let's Bethesda make more money, with which they can amaze us by producing Skyrim. They better amaze, anyway, or I will track down ammnra from YouTube (if you haven't seen his famous Assassin's Creed style hidden blade I highly suggest it) and force him to create a metal blade at gunpoint. And then I will pretend Bethesda employees are Templars.

I now realize how sad my life has become since I got my Xbox. And I'm sure more than one of you have had identical feelings in the past.

At least videogames make good inspiration.

Merc

Dreamer
Hells yes. Can't get enough Oblivion: Elder Scrolls, replaying through the old one's right now, lost my ps3 about half-way through :/

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
After you finish the main quest storyline, can you continue playing? If so, I imagine that you have many more quests to do, correct?

Yes, you can continue playing after the end of the main storyline. And yes, there are plenty of quests to do after you beat the main storyline. I finished the war questline before I beat the main storyline so I will have to settle with all of the little quest lines for now until they come out with some DLC.

Kevlar

Troubadour
So far this is a game in which I've done alot but haven't made much progress. I'm a Companion, a werewolf, a member of the Thieves Guild, a Dark Brother, a Stormcloak, and a member of the College of Winterhold. And yet the farthest I've got on the main quest is just after the part in the Ratway. (Too much elaboration would be a spoiler) Even if I try to do the main quest I get distracted. That and the side quests are more compelling.

Having never played an Elder Scrolls game before I have to say this might be the most impressive high fantasy setting I've ever read about/seen. Middle-Earth aside. It has all the hallmarks and conventions, but somehow seems fresh. I especially like how they handled 'dwarves,' more in line with the original mythology. Too bad I have to change the name of a culture in my work. I had no idea Dwemer was taken.

Telcontar

Staff
If you like the Dwemer, you should play Morrowind. It has lots about them. Also, it's a fantastic game.

Fnord

Troubadour
I had to take a break from playing the game to gush about how much I have enjoyed it. I think what really sets it apart is just the level of immersion; the little things that make it seem like a living, breathing world. Everything from bandits in dungeons singing to themselves idly to random travelers on the road make it feel like an actual place than a game about a place, like the earlier games did.

Try the fun stuff:

- Put baskets on people's head in a room (or buckets), steal their stuff, remove buckets, then laugh as they have no idea.

- Get married and buy a house...then you can feel like it's real life. I like finding my wife from time to time and asking her to give me money. She never fails.

- Get a companion and head towards some giants. Watch with glee from a safe spot as he or she continuously gets knocked miles into the air and falls back to the ground. Then go talk to them before they try giant fighting some more.

- Learn to fly on a horse.

- Kill a companion (purposely or on accident) and then give him or her a proper burial. There is a great youtube video that serves as an ode to Lydia. You can pick up a body and carry it anywhere.

- Become a werewolf. Use your power as often as possible and run around naked for a little while afterwards before equipping your armor.

- Go diving. I've found a couple underwater goodies/sections that have treasure trunks, two shipwrecks, and some fish with a bad attitude.

- Push people, enemies, creatures off cliffs, bridges, and other structures with your dragon shout push.

- Become a chronic hoarder and litter your home with things you collect. Maybe you have 100 ebony swords and like to spread them on the floor of your bedroom. Who knows.

- Try to complete all your misc. quests. Good luck.

- Read - We're readers and writers here...there are a ton of freaking books. Read some. Some level you up. Some give you quests. Some are funny. Some are literally about the weather.

- Same spell, both hands - burn stuff much much!