• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Elder Scrolls Online

Which faction will you join?

• Total voters

FatCat

Maester
I'm curious how the combat system is going to be operated. Bethesda said it won't be the real-time system used for the original TES, are they just going to do the standard specialty attacks on selected targets? For some reason I don't have high hopes for this game, can't put a finger on why...

nitoincog

Acolyte
I'm quite exited for The Elder Scrolls combat system implemented into the mmo apparently it will be just like the console/pc games but set in a much grander world, at least that is what I heard.

FatCat

Maester
The problem, as I see it, is with the classic melee system it's pretty much just bash, where other mmos have a more 'checkers over chess' approach. Just seems like playing a melee class would get very boring very quickly, if it indeed is just swinging/blocking. Then you get into the whole armor dependence grind, which is scary ;).

Steerpike

Felis amatus
There are already MMOs that have the sort of real-time swing/block/dodge combat style. They'll need more than that to generate ongoing interest. The way the industry is going, they'll probably need to go free-to-play with microtransactions AND have a lot of compelling innovation.

FatCat

Maester
I think it was TERA that did the whole live action thing, though it didn't seem to gain much traction. I'm hoping for a really unique crafting system, it seems like with all mmos you raid for great gear, I'd like to see raids to get items to make completely unique sets of gear. I know, problems loading in all the individualized armor sets could be harsh, but maybe something like a bi-weekly update to download new, player-created armors. Dreams, let me have mine!

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Not just TERA (if they did it; I didn't play it). DDO, Mortal Online, Darkfall, Vindictus, and a handful of others.

Vanguard still has the best crafting. Nice that it's kind of like a little game, and you can even fail to make something. The Diplomacy mini card game can be fun too.

FatCat

Maester
I remember Vanguard coming out, it seemed pretty cool but I guess the population went way downhill. Anywho, that's own thing I think a modern mmo needs, a really detailed crafting system. Blueprints, technique upgrades, fully customization. Heck, you could have a character dedicated to just trading and it'd still be fun. Gonna send a resume to Bethesda, title: Thank me later :)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Mortal Online has about as customizable a crafting system as you're likely to see. You can make just about anything from bits of just about anything else. But the game sucks.

FatCat

Maester
But the game sucks...haha. I'm thinking a fantasy minecraft almost. I wonder if such a thing would be possible with modernized graphics and all that

JBryden88

Troubadour
As much as I love vikings and nordic themes...

TESO will be one of a few games that has Orcs as more then just monsters. I'm gonna be an Orc :p

Rinzei

Troubadour
I'm a bit torn on which faction...My tradition for TES games has been to play a Wood Elf, which is Aldmeri Dominion. But I do think the Ebonheart Pact will be my favoured faction.

Anyone know how much the subscription fee is? Because if there is one, I'll probably skip. Perhaps I'll be tempted if it's rather low. But I don't like paying for a game in the store and then being extorted out of my money to continue playing it.

I especially hate the argument for subscription fees that goes: "Ooh but they need the money to fund their servers and ongoing development." If anything, Guild Wars 2 has proven that's total crap.

Velka

Sage
I saw TESO at PAX East in March. It was booooo-tee-full! I wanted to play it so badly, but the line-ups were about 6 hours long. Not how I wanted to spend a day at PAX.

I'm hoping they'll handle the PvE and PvP environments and boundaries like they did in DAOC: step into the frontiers and you're flagged for PVP, but you could still go into other factions homelands (PVE areas). You would be flagged for PVP, but the players wouldn't flag unless they attacked you. That way you avoided the low-level ganking and still got some fun opportunities for exploring and such. I loved going to my 'enemies' homelands and helping their low-level players hunt. I would aggro-pull for them and save them if they got in over their heads.

As for faction, still undecided. I'm planning on trying each and seeing which one I enjoy most. I play with a group of friends, so if some of them feel strongly about one I'll just go with that. A big part of MMOs for me are the people I play with, not the look of my avatar.

Rinzei

Troubadour
Anyone know how much the subscription fee is? Because if there is one, I'll probably skip. Perhaps I'll be tempted if it's rather low. But I don't like paying for a game in the store and then being extorted out of my money to continue playing it.

I especially hate the argument for subscription fees that goes: "Ooh but they need the money to fund their servers and ongoing development." If anything, Guild Wars 2 has proven that's total crap.

There's been no news on a business model yet. I'd be surprised, and disappointed, if they went with a traditional subscription model - most companies don't bother with it for modern games and have gone the way of Buy2Play - Buy the game, play for free.

From what I've seen of game play, stalked of people who got to play the pre-pax and post- pax version. you can crouch, use any weapon you desire no matter the class or race. The world is hand crafted and looks like a elder scrolls game not an mmo. The enemies will work together in packs to destroy you. You can switch between first and third person. You can explore the world and come across quests like you would in any other elder scrolls game. You have a special ability/ short cut bar like most mmos but it only holds 5 items at a time. Skill trees are a thing, but you are not limited by class.

TheFlayer

Acolyte
Ebonheart Pact most likely. I relate to it the most.

I will get this game if it kills me (okay that's an exaggeration). But I think you get the point.

Tribal

Acolyte
I'm in no way an experienced MMO-gamer, but I love the Elder Scrolls too much to let this possibility pass by. I'll probably (and hopefully) be one of those casual gamers who can't really contribute to any sort of guild or faction but who spends his time wandering about, soloing what I can.

Probably Ebonheart Pact. As with theflayer, I relate to it the most, and I find its composition to be the most exciting one!

From what I've seen of game play, stalked of people who got to play the pre-pax and post- pax version. you can crouch, use any weapon you desire no matter the class or race. The world is hand crafted and looks like a elder scrolls game not an mmo. The enemies will work together in packs to destroy you. You can switch between first and third person. You can explore the world and come across quests like you would in any other elder scrolls game. You have a special ability/ short cut bar like most mmos but it only holds 5 items at a time. Skill trees are a thing, but you are not limited by class.

One thing that sets this game apart from all other mmo games is that when you cast a spell, the little circle cooldown doesn't appear. One of the developers said you could just keep casting the same spell over and over as long as you had the magicka for it. Curious to see how they keep this game balanced...

Mindfire

Istar
One thing that sets this game apart from all other mmo games is that when you cast a spell, the little circle cooldown doesn't appear. One of the developers said you could just keep casting the same spell over and over as long as you had the magicka for it. Curious to see how they keep this game balanced...

I hate cooldowns, so that's a plus for me. As for balance, they'll do it the same way as in regular ES games. More powerful spells cost more mana, and are therefore more costly to spam. Combine that with a slow magicka regen, or no regen at all with reliance purely on potions, and even the most powerful wizards will think carefully before spamming their Uber Nuke spell. Plus, spell crafting, which was crazy broken in Morrowind if you knew how to (ab)use it right, probably won't be implemented, which also helps balance.