• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Elder Scrolls Online

Which faction will you join?

• Total voters
the khajiit are part of the aldmeri dominion, and the orcs are part of the daggerfall covenant. Argonians are in the Ebonheart pack.

Sam Evren

Troubadour
I've loved The Elder Scrolls since Arena. I love the mission statement that Bethesda used to put at the beginning of the manual. Basically, that they desired to get as close as possible to pen and paper gaming, or, put more simply, letting you do what you imagine you can do.

If I were to join, I would definitely follow my Khajiits, so Aldmeri Dominion, but I have severe reservations about the game.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
My Skyrim character is a Khajiit. The game is looking a little better but I'm still not entirely convinced it will live up to expectations.

Sam Evren

Troubadour
I have a couple Khajiits in Skyrim that I adore. And, cough, several others, as well.

What sticks in my claws about TESO is how they reconcile the stringent policies of an MMO against the made-to-be exploited world of The Elder Scrolls.

When I say exploited, I don't mean cheat codes or some such... I mean, when I get a bow, stand on a rock, and fire at a giant or sabrecat, I've used my mind to exploit the environment in my favor. The Elder Scrolls games have always been about that. It's part of their original mission statement.

If I try the same thing in an MMO, I'll fail, because the mob will either break combat because they can't engage or they'll just hit me despite being unable to reach me.

Where Skyrim is about exploration, possibility, and the craziest of circumstances, MMOs languish under a need to prevent exploitation. I see these two systems as, currently, mutually exclusive. I'll be fascinated to see if and how they reconcile the two.

I've always loved TES games so TESO is like a god send to me. I'll probably have a character in every faction at some point but I'll probably go with the Daggerfall Covenant first off simply because I love Redguards and Bretons

Nihal

Vala
Guys, a new beta keys distribution is happening, it'll last until tomorrow. Now it's easier to get a key, you have to register on some partner site, get the key and create a login on the ESO site using the provided code. Check the news on ESO's site.

I've secured a key this time and downloaded the beta client overnight (24GB), however, I don't know what is this beta period duration and I've not played yet. It seems to be happening already, the login queue is long (1hr right now) and my internet has been acting up last days, so, no game for me. Unlucky. ^^'

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Make sure to try your best to get into the beta if you're considering this game. Most people I've spoken to are recommending I wait until it goes free to play to try it out.

Edit:
This isn't to say its bad, but that it's not worth €15 a month when compared to what's already available for free out there.

Ophiucha

Auror
Played the beta a bit the other day. As it is right now, I would pay full price for the game itself, but I couldn't justify paying the monthly fee. Maybe in a couple of years, if it's free-to-play or the game itself costs significantly less and I can power through the story in a month, I will give it a proper play through.

C

Chessie

Played the beta a bit the other day. As it is right now, I would pay full price for the game itself, but I couldn't justify paying the monthly fee. Maybe in a couple of years, if it's free-to-play or the game itself costs significantly less and I can power through the story in a month, I will give it a proper play through.
Same here. I got set up to do the beta but my computer is having difficulties, so I won't be able to do it this time. I believe there is another one in April so...yay. BUT...I also won't be getting the game because--although I understand why there is a monthly subscription--I just don't think I can justify that cost. If my husband were playing also, then yes. Plus, it would greatly take time away from my writing...which Skyrim already does.

I've played two betas so far. And completely agree

Mindfire

Istar
They should follow the Guild Wars 2 plan: you buy the game once and that's it. The subscription model is outdated. People are less willing to shell out 15 bucks a month for a game now. If Star Wars the Old Republic and other formerly subscription but now free-to-play games like it have proven anything, it's that if you're going to demand a subscription then you need to have an absolutely jaw-dropping product. Or else. And from the beta footage I've seen, ESO is good, but not good enough to justify a monthly fee.

Nihal

Vala
Somehow my 3g is more reliable than my broadband today. Atonishing!

Anyway, I've managed to play a little. Pretty game, still a bit heavy for its graphics... If it were cheaper I would even consider buying it, but as stated here, it's expensive indeed.... And that brings up the biggest turn off I've seen there: The comunnity.

Peharps I'm getting old, but I didn't like the kind of player the game attracted. Every time someone brought up the cost subject, commented that they would wait the game get cheaper or something other players started to flame stating that "If you don't want to pay this value for this game you're poor, get out! I hope the keep this price!". I was appalled. Hopefully, when the player base gets split in servers some of these are going to have mature and non-self-entitled players. So, when it gets cheaper we'll consider it.

By the way, the word here was another beta would happen.

C

Chessie

Another beta is supposed to happen either in March or April.

Also, to add on to what Nihal just mentioned, I've been speaking to users on a gaming forum and (not that this is scientific in any way) a lot of the people saying they're willing to pay for the game are quite young, without bills or heavy responsibilities to pay. In the chats I've participated in, they have all said well, the reason why I'm getting it is because its a luxury/I can afford it right now. That makes sense with Nihal's experience.

I love TES, but a monthly subscription is what's stopping me from saying yes right now. The game looks sweet but a subscription adds up when you have other things to pay for. One interesting I've noticed is that in this thread, it seems like most aren't willing to pay the monthly fee. Could be we're all broke ass writers, but I would like to also adventure with mature players because it makes the experience that much more worth it.