• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Looking forward to Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

I am absolutely looking forward to Skyrim. I finally finished the main quest of Oblivion about 2 months ago. One of the few things I didn't like about Obilivion was the way the Dark Brotherhood, Thieves' Guild, Fighter's Guild, and Mages Guild quests ended. It was - once you're on top - no more missions - and that was one of the aspects I really liked from Daggerfall. There are always people that need killing (DB) or saving (FG) or stealing from (TG).

Anyway, I've been trying not to look at it too much because I'm afraid that I'm going to anticipate such greatness that it falls short and I'm going to be disappointed (it's unlikely - but I don't want the temptation either).

A friend of mine sent me this link for new screensheets on Skyrim. Characters are looking alot more realistic to say the least.

New Screenshots! - The Nexus Forums

I played a little bit of Oblivion, but not much since my husband is on the consoles every spare minute we aren't spending together/with the kids. I used to play video games pretty often... then I married a gamer, and I stopped. I'm looking forward to seeing Skyrim, and maybe playing if I can snag a second while he's at work. :)

Very excited! I work at a video game retailer, and we're doing a midnight launch party, which I totally requested to work during. Can't wait to grab a copy!

Linqy

Scribe
MUST have this!

Can't wait till it finally comes out here (I wish I lived in America man, grabbing games as soon as they come out instead of having to wait til they get here XD)

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
I was just checking these screenshots out before I got here. I especially like the Orc with the hammer (third along on Meg The Healer's link). The assassination one (first image) is cool too... and as for the last... magnificent.

Metalfist

Dreamer
Wow..... it looks set to blow Oblivion completely away. With Elderscrolls games, I usually enjoy just starting off and hiking the entire perimeter of the main landmass before I do anything else. I'm going to enjoy my fieldstomp through this one.

I'm most certainly looking forward to the release of Skyrim. As a rule, I love Bethesda's works. However, Johnny-Come-Lately that I might be, I've only just bought and started to play Fallout 3.... and it just isn't grabbing me at all. I think that it's just the whole "sameness" of the apocolyptic terrain that has me bored. I've played Oblivion several times over and am about to start yet another character build.
In the exact same boat with fallout I got so ridiculously sick of walking for miles of grey burnt out buildings and trash. I understand its a wasteland but come on. And on another note, Skyrim will be awesome!

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
On Fallout...

To me, it was more of a "put yourself in your character's shoes for real" instead of playing a video game. I remember I couldn't play it at all at first, and I hated it. One day, however, I gave it another chance; I beat the starting zone and then I was out into the world! I actually live remotely near D.C., about an hour or two away, so it was interesting to see what Bethesda envisioned.
Then they came out with the Pittsburgh DLC for it, and I live even closer to Pittsburgh, so that was even more entriguing for me.

Regardless, I think it was more of one of those horror RPGs for me... more shock than adventure; kind of like Morrowind for me. I enjoyed Fallout 3 more for the parts of "What would I actually do in this situation?" It's something more realistic and possible than the Elder Scrolls series, and don't get me wrong - I love those even moreso, and that's what drew me into it. Tell me you haven't wondered what you'd do in a nuclear aftermath if you survived, or if you were trying to survive in a zombie apocalypse.

Anyways, I wasn't ranting for forcing my views on it - just tried to show you a different light on it so that perhaps you could enjoy the game.

:p

Skyrim looks to be Bethesda's only good game this year unfortunately. I have faith in it, but I feel like they side-lined other titles to focus on Skyrim more. Look at Brink, and Hunted: Demon's Forge. And Rage (although that was more Id than Bethesda in the end). They just aren't up to par. I like the Elder Scrolls series but Bethesda as a developer strikes me as lazy; I wish they would give all their projects a more equal effort, as a few of their titles looked great and could have been fantastic if only the extra time was put into them.

Centerfield97

Troubadour
I have already pre-ordered my copy for day-of delivery :) I've been playing Oblivion for years now, and with all of the mods out there it has almost never become boring for me! This is the most hyped up I have been for a game since I was 10 years old.

subdee

Dreamer
Oh how am I ever going to find the time for it? Hmm, maybe if I don't sleep, or eat or make my girlfriend smile lol

Just kidding.

Wordweaver

Dreamer
I feel like this game is going to cause a lot of stress in my marriage...it already has. See, I tried to reserve the collectors edition. Full art book, foot tall statue of Alduin the World Eater, AND making-of DVD? Oh and the game, of course. Apparently before dishing out 150$ on a video game I'm supposed to be responsible and pay our credit card bills. And rent. Whatever.

The next argument, you would think, would be "You've been playing for hours! Spend some time with me!" You'd be right, except that I introduced her to Oblivion last year, and she's hooked. So now the argument will be "You've been playing for hours! My turn!"

It could get violent.

Last edited:

JBryden88

Troubadour
I can't wait for multiple reasons.
1. I loved Morrowind. My Orc War Mage ("custom class" in which he wore plate, wielded a great big sword, and slung fireballs) was badass, as were my other characters. My favorite character however, was my Nord that I through Morrowind - then took him to Tribunal to get the two big weapons to use on Dagoth Ur (it felt right fighting my arch nemesis with my reincarnated weapons :p), and then doing Bloodmoon.

2. Oblivion was in oh so many words... bad. I loved manual blocking, I loved horses, and I loved the starting music, but I hated how GENERIC it was in appearance. I didn't like the Imperials in Morrowind, I hated them more in Oblivion.

3. Skyrim is returning to form in appearance: interesting and awesome looking, and not so generic.

4. I am a huge fan of two types of cultures. Norse, and Celtic. This is hardcore Nordic culture by going the route of the Nords :D