• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

TheKillerBs

Maester
Can't believe you caught that, but actually (it may be unclear from the map), there's a spring from the mountains in the south, on the coastline which feeds a lake, and a river leading to the Sea of Dharr. I never did think where the saltiness of that water mass may derive from, but gun to the head, I'd say deep seated minerals.
Oh! The same spring also feeds another small river leading to the sea in the south
Um... are you saying that this smaller lake in the south drains both to the Sea of Dharr *and* to the ocean? Because that sounds... unlikely.

ETA: just noticed your response to my first post. This is a big landmass, but the relative size of the places suggests something way smaller, like at best Germany-sized

Last edited:

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
It's not necessarily flipped; it depends on a variety of factors. The west coast tends to be cold water, eastern warm, and warm water brings more moisture. Of course, that's assuming Earth-like rotation. California is dry in large part because of this, and then deserts appear due to the rain shadows of mountains. In geologic time, the people of Cali haven't seen a real drought yet, heh heh. God help them if they ever do. The purist in me might question the details of the map, but it also comes off as quite clearly "fantasy."

L.L. Maurizi

Troubadour
What a beautiful map! Traditionally, cities arise near bodies of water - a river, a bay, etc. - because these allow trade and travel. (Sometimes, cities are close to water but set back a bit to avoid attack / pirates / etc.) Would it help your writing to move your cities closer to your rivers or coastline?
You make a good point. I did try to have most cities close to some kind of water body, but I also wanted others to be of a different nature. I haven't thought about moving all the cities closer to water.
One issue would be that, while more realistic, It would make the map a little empty in most areas.

L.L. Maurizi

Troubadour
Um... are you saying that this smaller lake in the south drains both to the Sea of Dharr *and* to the ocean? Because that sounds... unlikely.

ETA: just noticed your response to my first post. This is a big landmass, but the relative size of the places suggests something way smaller, like at best Germany-sized
It's more like this: spring in the south--> river--> small lake --> river --> Sea of Dharr

I can see the issue about size yeah (I will add a scale). I kinda need to have the places relatively bigger because they would otherwise be barely visible on the map. It's relevant to keep in mind that the map's locations are not to scale (for example size of trees, walls, plants, cities, etc. )
Some things may be smaller or larger. The map is a reference map for a reader wanting to see what is where as they read, should they want to.

L.L. Maurizi

Troubadour
It's not necessarily flipped; it depends on a variety of factors. The west coast tends to be cold water, eastern warm, and warm water brings more moisture. Of course, that's assuming Earth-like rotation. California is dry in large part because of this, and then deserts appear due to the rain shadows of mountains. In geologic time, the people of Cali haven't seen a real drought yet, heh heh. God help them if they ever do. The purist in me might question the details of the map, but it also comes off as quite clearly "fantasy."
That is correct. The map is intended to be rich, but not geographically/geologically accurate to real-world standards. It's intended to be rich, but very much fantasy.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
It's more like this: spring in the south--> river--> small lake --> river --> Sea of Dharr

So now I'm confused too. I thought the river was ending at the coast. But it's not the coast. There's these two mountains, and like a fade effect that makes it look like there's more land to the south, but it's only there for those two mountains.... So is that the spring? The river runs north into the sea and doesn't hit the coast at all?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
On another matter, what's the story behind the Chasm? Something about it seems off to me but I can't put my finger on it. It does seem to run into the coast, which should cause it to fill with water. It also looks excessively wide. And it's an odd place to put a desert, since it's on the coast, nowhere near a mountain, next to a forest... every indication is that should get decent rain.

Edit: If I could suggest, you might rotate the chasm and move it so it lines up next to the Nazul Mountains (which would block rain and explain the desert), and you could make it look like it was once an extention of the Sea of Dharr that was blocked and dried up. Like with the sea, you could even put a small island plateau in the middle for a cool new place.

Last edited:

L.L. Maurizi

Troubadour
So now I'm confused too. I thought the river was ending at the coast. But it's not the coast. There's these two mountains, and like a fade effect that makes it look like there's more land to the south, but it's only there for those two mountains.... So is that the spring? The river runs north into the sea and doesn't hit the coast at all?
The river doesn't go towards the coast. The coast would be on the opposite side of the mountains you see there at the south.
It may be unclear due to poor design.

L.L. Maurizi

Troubadour
On another matter, what's the story behind the Chasm? Something about it seems off to me but I can't put my finger on it. It does seem to run into the coast, which should cause it to fill with water. It also looks excessively wide. And it's an odd place to put a desert, since it's on the coast, nowhere near a mountain, next to a forest... every indication is that should get decent rain.

Edit: If I could suggest, you might rotate the chasm and move it so it lines up next to the Nazul Mountains (which would block rain and explain the desert), and you could make it look like it was once an extention of the Sea of Dharr that was blocked and dried up. Like with the sea, you could even put a small island plateau in the middle for a cool new place.
The Chasm Desert and the chasm itself is the product of a battle that occurred 1000 years prior to my story between a race of demigods and immensely powerful sorcerers who used to dominate Velorath. The desert is not natural.
It's essentially the product of an induced end-of-the-world/cataclysmic event on the lines of meteor strike wiping life on Earth (just on a smaller scale).

The events that lead (among other things) to the creation of that desert are one of the premises of my book.

TheKillerBs

Maester

I can see the issue about size yeah (I will add a scale). I kinda need to have the places relatively bigger because they would otherwise be barely visible on the map. It's relevant to keep in mind that the map's locations are not to scale (for example size of trees, walls, plants, cities, etc. )
Some things may be smaller or larger. The map is a reference map for a reader wanting to see what is where as they read, should they want to.
Count me in among those confused by the river then.

What I mean by "relative size of the features" is basically, the Forest of Feyr seems way too large and discontinuous to be considered a single forest at that scale

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Count me in among those confused by the river then.

What I mean by "relative size of the features" is basically, the Forest of Feyr seems way too large and discontinuous to be considered a single forest at that scale
The way I understood this is that the forest is continuous, but Maurizi opened up space so that the "Feyr covenant" was legible.

TheKillerBs

Maester
The way I understood this is that the forest is continuous, but Maurizi opened up space so that the "Feyr covenant" was legible.
It didn't give me that impression at all. The valley next to the Sea of Dharr also seems way too big at this scale. It looks as big if not bigger than the Pannonian Basin to my estimation at this scale. If it's a formatting issue then OP should fix it, if not they should rethink these features