• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Myth's Anime Thread

Mythopoet

Auror
Princess Mononoke is one of my favorites from Ghibli. Seeing it on the big screen sounds awesome. I love the music so much but the dvd copy we have has the worst sound quality.

I've been trying out various anime series on Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix...and for the most part, not completing them. RWBY was the latest. Love the art, thought there was some brilliant humor in the character personalities and actions, but Volume One didn't have much of a complete story. It was just an introduction to the characters, really. So I checked out reviews to see if the other volumes would be worth checking out, and the consensus (not shared by everyone, however) was...no, not really.

I did like My Hero Academia, but I caught up to present episodes, and now I'm waiting for the new episodes to collect for awhile because I'd rather marathon lots in a row than only watch one per week!

Aww, that's too bad. I hope you find one that you like. What kind of anime do you like best?

May I recommend some of my favourites? I love making lists, and I recently made lists of the top ten video games, top ten manga, top ten anime, and top ten anime movies based on my preferences.

May I recommend some of my favourites? I love making lists, and I recently made lists of the top ten video games, top ten manga, top ten anime, and top ten anime movies based on my preferences.

Sure! I think my tastes are peculiar, and such lists usually don't work for me, it seems. But who knows?

Incidentally, over this past week I've realized that I'd like to try to write an "anime-style novel" (or novella perhaps), but as I've contemplated trying my hand at that, I run into the roadblock of how difficult it would be to successfully translate between mediums.

Clannad, Kanon, maybe AIR even though it's not as good as the other two, Anohana, Digimon Adventure, Digimon Tamers, Persona 4 the animation, Haruhi Suzumiya, and...that's about it. I'm still working on watching Ah My Goddess, Princess Tutu, Neon Gen Eva, and Kobayashi, even though I've barely been able to find any of them. [Note that I always watch anime in Japanese [except for Persona 4 anime; the dub is exceptionally good] because...I don't know, I'm picky about everything.] :D
Oh, and Chi's Sweet Home is adorable, but I prefer the old, hand-drawn version to the uncanny valley ridden 2016 version.

Mythopoet

Auror
So... summer season. What am I watching?

Continuing from spring season:

Steins;Gate 0 - This is literally the best spinoff of anything ever. (Technically a mid-quel, if that's a thing.) You don't want to watch this unless you've seen the original Steins;Gate ( BUT EVERYONE WHO HAS EVEN THE SLIGHTEST INTEREST IN TIME TRAVEL STORIES NEEDS TO WATCH Steins;Gate!!) but if you have seen the original and liked it you NEED to watch this. I wasn't expecting it to be half this good. What follow-up ever is? I'm blown away.

Persona 5- highly enjoyable. Great aesthetic. Some possible plot holes. I admit to not knowing anything about Japanese law, but I can't figure out how the police could possibly have any jurisdiction over teens supernaturally entering people's consciousness and making them renounce their evil desires. Yet a bit aspect of the conflict is the police trying to track them down and them trying to keep their identities secret. Maybe it will become clear before the end.

Kakuriyo- This seemed like a fairly typical (though still enjoyable) "human girl gets involved in the troubles of Japanese otherworld denizens and solves everything with cooking" type show. But as the drama develops I have become very invested in the relationships and also really love and admire the MC. She is no fainting lily as you get in so many shows.

New Series:

Cells at Work! - Fave new show. Absolutely wonderful. Visualizes the body as a sort of city and cells as people living in it. Focuses mostly on blood cells and uses battles against bacteria and viruses and such to educate you about how your body works. My kids love it.

Chio's School Road- the many adventures of a girl while she walks to high school every morning. Some fanservice, weird situations and bad decision making. The characters are so real and hilarious. This show does not glamorize high school life, which is so refreshing.

Holmes of Kyoto- laid-back show about a guy who's a bit arrogant about his antique appraisal skills and is sometimes called upon to solve people's problems when they are too dumb to do so themselves. While it sounds like it should be boring and predictable, for some reason it has a charm that makes me enjoy watching it. Maybe it's nice, slow pace and window into parts of Kyoto life.

Island- adaptation of a harem VN. Calls itself a time travel mystery. I'm pretty much only watching it because my husband likes it.

Muhyo and Roji's bureau of Supernatural Investigation- This once started really late in the season and only have a few eps. up. But so far I like it. I'm generally a sucker for Japanese supernatural phenomenon.

Planet With- This show is bizarre. There's mecha, there's aliens some of which look like cats and dogs, there's ideological mecha battles, but I have no idea where it's going. It's one of those shows you just let carry you along for the ride as long as it's entertaining.

Ooh, Muhyo and Roji! I read the manga and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'll have to watch the anime, as apparently it's a continuation of the story rather than an adaptation of the manga.

I've been watching Black Clover on Hulu, and nearing the halfway mark, I'm loving it. Just the sort of anime I like best.

Two infant boys are left at an church/orphanage at the very same time but obviously aren't twins. When they reach the age of 15 they, like everyone in the land reaching that age, receive an individual magic grimoire. These grimoires reinforce and strengthen their particular spell casting specialties. Magic is very important in that land, and everyone has some magical ability—except one of those two boys, who might be the only person in the entire land who doesn't possess magic. This frustrates him to no end, but he's the sort to never give up, and consequently he has focused very strongly on physical improvement and fighting abilities. There's a rivalry between the two boys although they still consider each other to be "family." They are constantly competing in almost everything.

There's a "magic king" who is separate from the actual king of the land, and both boys aspire to be the magic king someday. To get there, they must try to join the Magic Knights first, shortly after getting their grimoires. The Magic Knights have nine different squads, each led by a captain, and each having its own sort of culture or theme. The Magic Knights protect the land and its people and have a very high status within the kingdom. But nobles and royals tend to have much stronger magic ability and fill most of the ranks in the Magic Knights. Since these two boys are commoner orphans, they face prejudice, mocking, etc., all the time. Their own rivalry spurs both on, however. The one who possesses magic is very, very strong in magic, and the one who has no magic—which is laughable, from the POV of the Magic Knights—possesses instead....well, not going to spoil it for you, hah.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I'm presently watching:

Attack on Titan
My Hero Academia
Black Clover
Steins Gate (a soap opera about time travel)
Magical Girls Raising Project (it pretends to be cute, but it's a horror ala Hunger Games)
Angel of Death (barely)

The first two are truly epic award-winning type of shows. The others are all pretty strong though.

I subscribe to funimation, so it's hit or miss whether you can those free on crunchyroll.

Mythopoet

Auror
Hey! Steins;Gate is NOT a soap opera! :p Are you watching the original series or the new spin off? I'm watching the spin off (sort of like a mid-quel) and absolutely loving it. I think so far it's the best follow up series I've ever seen.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Hey! Steins;Gate is NOT a soap opera! :p Are you watching the original series or the new spin off? I'm watching the spin off (sort of like a mid-quel) and absolutely loving it. I think so far it's the best follow up series I've ever seen.

I started it because it was on Funimations roster of new shows, but I did start with the first season and am up to date with the dubbed episodes.

I called it a soap opera because this season they've done nothing but talk about time travel and haven't done any of it. But you're right, it's not really a soap.

Princess Mononoke is one of my favorites from Ghibli. Seeing it on the big screen sounds awesome. I love the music so much but the dvd copy we have has the worst sound quality.
I have been wanting to see an anime film on the big screen. As soon as I saw Princess Mononoke advertised on their website I had to go. AMC had been playing other Studio Ghibli films.

I'm caught up on Black Clover, and I'm still waiting for a few more episodes of My Hero Academia before I catch up on it.

I tried watching something called Phi Brain last night, and it's way too boring and simply not as good as the shows I like best, so I'll not continue watching it. This is one of the biggest drawbacks to streaming services like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime: I can quickly marathon the good stuff, but when I'm done with those I'm left trying to pick some treasure out of the vast garbage dump that remains.