1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Random thoughts

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SeverinR, May 14, 2013.

1. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

I'm not sure yet. Might have to actually write something before I figure it out.

2. Thar's understandable. It's still a baby idea, anyway.

(an adorable baby idea :p )

Ireth likes this.
  3. Strange minds do think alike! I was pondering about lesbian characters in fantasy just today.

Ireth likes this.
  4. Futhark

Futhark Inkling

Love this idea!!!

DragonOfTheAerie likes this.
  5. We are all strange minds. :D

6. Thanks :D That's always good to hear!

7. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

...Brain. Seriously. When I'm poking at a new baby plotbunny, you really don't need to give me a completely unrelated character. Even if she is pretty cool. I could use more black characters in my stories, but when I'm trying to write about Santa Claus, a pirate is just distraction.

8. Or IS it...?

Devor and Ireth like this.
  9. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Exactly what are you insinuating? XD

10. Heeeeyyy just don't go and ASSUME a pirate doesn't belong in a Santa story :p

11. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

I can see it now . . .

"Give us the presents, or the reindeer gets it. Ho, ho, ha-arrrgh!"

12. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Funnily enough, I just got back from watching my little brother's kindergarten class in a musical about Santa and his elves teaching a bunch of pirates about sharing and generosity. It was cute, in that cheesy way that's only possible with a bunch of 5-9 year olds acting and singing. ^^

13. The pirate totally fits. Sleigh-hijacking, present-stealing pirates!!

14. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Only if I find a way to involve time travel. The Santa story is set in the present/possible near future, and the pirate lady's story would be set during the Age of Sail. And I don't want to inadvertently steal from whoever it is that's writing about Blackbeard and time travel, so I'm thinking these would be better off as separate stories.

15. ^...Wow. That's impressive! :) The idea of a Santa pirate made me laugh a lot.

So, what happens when an exceptionally foolish person decides that he is a wizard even though he has no magical talent whatsoever and parades around in oversized robes and a long fake beard?

16. Hm....I don't know. A funny story, I'd imagine...

17. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

That sounds like it could be an awesome Terry Pratchett-esque book.

18. Chessie

Chessie Guest

My son trying to figure out what he's getting for Christmas:

"Is it a sword?"

"A harpoon?!"

"Oh, oh! It's a grappling HOOK!"

Hmm...how he got all of those out of a 2 x 2 box is beyond me...

Ireth likes this.
  19. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

Sounds like Rincewind from Diskworld - though he did know a single, extremely dangerous spell to start with.

That said...

Oversized robes can hide lots of stage magic stuff. Far, far darker tone than what you seem to have in mind, but Tierney's 'Simon of Gita' was essentially a fighter who knew an impressive amount of stage magic ranging from ventriloquism to slight of hand to disguise to hypnotism.

The other approach would be to have the character blunder into a modicum of real magical ability step by dangerous step. Step one being the episode (an improbably lucky night gambling? walking away without a scratch from a horrific accident?) that convinced him he possessed magic to start with.

20. buyjupiter

buyjupiter Maester

I just stumbled across notes to myself that read: "thoroughly Scottish person" and "Dumbledorian". I'm not sure what that even means. A friendly Scottish minister/eductor/college president? Peter Capaldi playing the Doctor? Who knows but now I'm going to have a really interesting time setting up his personality.

Ireth likes this.