• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

^...Wow. That's impressive! :) The idea of a Santa pirate made me laugh a lot.

So, what happens when an exceptionally foolish person decides that he is a wizard even though he has no magical talent whatsoever and parades around in oversized robes and a long fake beard?

C

Chessie

My son trying to figure out what he's getting for Christmas:

"Is it a sword?"

"A harpoon?!"

"Oh, oh! It's a grappling HOOK!"

Hmm...how he got all of those out of a 2 x 2 box is beyond me...

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
^...Wow. That's impressive! :) The idea of a Santa pirate made me laugh a lot.

So, what happens when an exceptionally foolish person decides that he is a wizard even though he has no magical talent whatsoever and parades around in oversized robes and a long fake beard?

Sounds like Rincewind from Diskworld - though he did know a single, extremely dangerous spell to start with.

That said...

Oversized robes can hide lots of stage magic stuff. Far, far darker tone than what you seem to have in mind, but Tierney's 'Simon of Gita' was essentially a fighter who knew an impressive amount of stage magic ranging from ventriloquism to slight of hand to disguise to hypnotism.

The other approach would be to have the character blunder into a modicum of real magical ability step by dangerous step. Step one being the episode (an improbably lucky night gambling? walking away without a scratch from a horrific accident?) that convinced him he possessed magic to start with.

buyjupiter

Maester
I just stumbled across notes to myself that read: "thoroughly Scottish person" and "Dumbledorian". I'm not sure what that even means. A friendly Scottish minister/eductor/college president? Peter Capaldi playing the Doctor? Who knows but now I'm going to have a really interesting time setting up his personality.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Thanks to a wiki-walk and some rambling thoughts, I now kind of want to try writing a story in which the nine (including Pluto) planets of our solar system are in fact the Nine Realms of Norse myth. Earth is Midgard, naturally. Mercury would probably be Muspelheim, the realm of fire and lava, given it's the closest to the sun and thus the hottest. Pluto could be Niflheim, the coldest realm, covered in ice. I'm not sure yet about the others. What do you guys think?

buyjupiter

Maester
Thanks to a wiki-walk and some rambling thoughts, I now kind of want to try writing a story in which the nine (including Pluto) planets of our solar system are in fact the Nine Realms of Norse myth. Earth is Midgard, naturally. Mercury would probably be Muspelheim, the realm of fire and lava, given it's the closest to the sun and thus the hottest. Pluto could be Niflheim, the coldest realm, covered in ice. I'm not sure yet about the others. What do you guys think?

Jotunheim would probably correlate well to Saturn [being Titans in Greco-Roman mythos are fairly good cognates for Jotuns in Norse mythos].

But I REALLY like this idea, Ireth! Sounds like it could be a lot of fun to play around with and see where it takes you.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Jotunheim would probably correlate well to Saturn [being Titans in Greco-Roman mythos are fairly good cognates for Jotuns in Norse mythos].

But I REALLY like this idea, Ireth! Sounds like it could be a lot of fun to play around with and see where it takes you.

Ooh, I like that! And Venus could be Vanaheim or Asgard.

Saigonnus

Auror

I think the idea has merit, though Venus is actually hotter than Mercury, due to the fact that it had an atmosphere to trap the heat, whereas mercury doesn't. Still fits though for description you have in mind for Muspelheim. Maybe the tree of life could be a magical corridor between the various realms, only accessible by the most powerful creatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I think the idea has merit, though Venus is actually hotter than Mercury, due to the fact that it had an atmosphere to trap the heat, whereas mercury doesn't. Still fits though for description you have in mind for Muspelheim. Maybe the tree of life could be a magical corridor between the various realms, only accessible by the most powerful creatures.

Here's what I have in mind for the planets:

Mercury: Muspelheim
Venus: Asgard
Earth: Midgard
Mars: Svartalfheim
Jupiter: Vanaheim
Saturn: Jotunheim
Uranus: Alfheim
Neptune: Helheim
Pluto: Niflheim

Though I'm told that apparently the Marvel Cinematic Universe uses an idea similar to this. (I haven't watched those movies aside from the first Iron Man, so I have no idea how it actually works the way they do it.) I like the Yggdrasil idea too. ^^

C

Chessie

Here's what I have in mind for the planets:

Mercury: Muspelheim
Venus: Asgard
Earth: Midgard
Mars: Svartalfheim
Jupiter: Vanaheim
Saturn: Jotunheim
Uranus: Alfheim
Neptune: Helheim
Pluto: Niflheim

Though I'm told that apparently the Marvel Cinematic Universe uses an idea similar to this. (I haven't watched those movies aside from the first Iron Man, so I have no idea how it actually works the way they do it.) I like the Yggdrasil idea too. ^^

This is awesome. I wonder what our resident Nord Svrt thinks of it. :)

Ooooo! This sounds great!!

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver

Read your Dante. Third book of his 'Divine Comedy' uses this model to describe the various levels of heaven, though he employed the classical Greco-Roman associations for the planets. The vision quest model he used goes back to antiquity (Gnosticism)

Kate Elliot did a variant of this in her 'Crown of Fire' series.

Worth noting that both employed the Sun and Earths moon in this scheme. (Elliot's works are set on a sort of fantasy alternate Earth.)

I have long considered something like this with fictional planets in an imaginary solar system.

Last edited:

Futhark

Inkling
My Santa idea is this: some supernatural being like Baba Yaga has been cursed to perform good deeds of charity once a year. During the year the glamour is lifted and the creature is free to indirectly influence children to be naughty. When there are no more nice children who believe in Santa then the curse is lifted.

SeverinR

Vala
To all the Mythic family,
Merry Christmas and a happy New Year,
or what other holiday you observe may the holidays be good to you,
and as always may the new year be more peaceful then the one before.
Glad tidings and good writing to all, and to all a good night.
:wavespin: