1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Random thoughts

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SeverinR, May 14, 2013.

1. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Thanks to a wiki-walk and some rambling thoughts, I now kind of want to try writing a story in which the nine (including Pluto) planets of our solar system are in fact the Nine Realms of Norse myth. Earth is Midgard, naturally. Mercury would probably be Muspelheim, the realm of fire and lava, given it's the closest to the sun and thus the hottest. Pluto could be Niflheim, the coldest realm, covered in ice. I'm not sure yet about the others. What do you guys think?

2. buyjupiter

buyjupiter Maester

Jotunheim would probably correlate well to Saturn [being Titans in Greco-Roman mythos are fairly good cognates for Jotuns in Norse mythos].

But I REALLY like this idea, Ireth! Sounds like it could be a lot of fun to play around with and see where it takes you.

Ireth likes this.
  3. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Ooh, I like that! And Venus could be Vanaheim or Asgard.

4. Saigonnus

Saigonnus Auror

I think the idea has merit, though Venus is actually hotter than Mercury, due to the fact that it had an atmosphere to trap the heat, whereas mercury doesn't. Still fits though for description you have in mind for Muspelheim. Maybe the tree of life could be a magical corridor between the various realms, only accessible by the most powerful creatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ireth likes this.
  5. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Here's what I have in mind for the planets:

Mercury: Muspelheim
    Venus: Asgard
    Earth: Midgard
    Mars: Svartalfheim
    Jupiter: Vanaheim
    Saturn: Jotunheim
    Uranus: Alfheim
    Neptune: Helheim
    Pluto: Niflheim

Though I'm told that apparently the Marvel Cinematic Universe uses an idea similar to this. (I haven't watched those movies aside from the first Iron Man, so I have no idea how it actually works the way they do it.) I like the Yggdrasil idea too. ^^

6. ^That's an awesome idea!

7. Chessie

Chessie Guest

This is awesome. I wonder what our resident Nord Svrt thinks of it. :)

8. Ooooo! This sounds great!!

9. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

Read your Dante. Third book of his 'Divine Comedy' uses this model to describe the various levels of heaven, though he employed the classical Greco-Roman associations for the planets. The vision quest model he used goes back to antiquity (Gnosticism)

Kate Elliot did a variant of this in her 'Crown of Fire' series.

Worth noting that both employed the Sun and Earths moon in this scheme. (Elliot's works are set on a sort of fantasy alternate Earth.)

I have long considered something like this with fictional planets in an imaginary solar system.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Ireth likes this.
  10. Futhark

Futhark Inkling

My Santa idea is this: some supernatural being like Baba Yaga has been cursed to perform good deeds of charity once a year. During the year the glamour is lifted and the creature is free to indirectly influence children to be naughty. When there are no more nice children who believe in Santa then the curse is lifted.

Ireth likes this.
  11. Ronald T.

Ronald T. Troubadour

And perhaps the Bifrost Bridge could be the magical path between the planets?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Ireth likes this.
  12. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

That would make the most sense. :)

13. I'm working on a short story and I have no idea where to take it. I like the basic idea, but...ugh. Where's the plot??

14. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

To all the Mythic family,
    Merry Christmas and a happy New Year,
    or what other holiday you observe may the holidays be good to you,
    and as always may the new year be more peaceful then the one before.
    Glad tidings and good writing to all, and to all a good night.
    :wavespin:

Ban and Ireth like this.
  15. Ban

Ban Sir Laserface Article Team

Merry Marzipan-and-Glühwein-Time!

...Oh and I guess this time also has something to do with a baby born in a shed somewhere. But mostly Marzipan.

16. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Merry Christmas Eve Eve morning! :D

DragonOfTheAerie and Ban like this.
  17. I'm just thinking, 2017 will have to try really hard to be worse, weirder, and more chaotic than 2016...I'm scared.

18. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

Don't challenge it to be any of those. No matter how bad 2016 was, it could always be worse. But it can also be a lot better.

19. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Just heard about Carrie Fisher having a heart attack today. Sending her lots of hope and prayers for a quick recovery.

20. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

Ok, been plugging away 'Empire: Judgment' on and off the past couple of weeks, slowly making progress towards the grand climax despite a marked lack of enthusiasm. Almost there.

But -

I KNEW right from the start this tale was going to have a substantial epilogue of sorts, as in 10,000 words minimum. And as I have been inching closer to the climax, tweaking this or that plot element along the way, I realized...

10,000 words isn't going to cut it. 20,000 is probably inadequate. In short, I'm looking at a sort of wrap-up novella, despite the principle antagonist being out of the picture altogether and the characters being on a completely different planet. Hmm...maybe 'Empire: Exiles.' This one differs from the previous six in other ways - like duration. The other novellas mostly took place in compressed time periods ranging from a couple of days ('Country,' 'Capital') to intense periods spread out over a few months ('Metropolis,' 'Spiral.') This one will have to be spread out over a period of years, with multiple very short, somewhat intense episodes.

Drat. Just when I thought the end was in sight with this series. On the brighter side, I'm that much closer to the end of 'Judgment.'

Ireth likes this.