• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
The sun finally came out today. I can't recall the last time we had a sunny day. I think Washington might still be too far up north for me.

Dark Squiggle

Troubadour
You know, I should have realized before I started it that making an 11x14" colored pencil piece in one day is a bad idea. It took 8 solid hours and now my arm is burning like hellfire. I also need new pencils, since I haven't replaced them since my advanced drawing class last spring. My background color was shaved down to a stub by the end.

Well, they say hindsight is 20/20....
Let's see it or it didn't happen ;)

Tom

Istar
Let's see it or it didn't happen ;)
It may look pretty, but it's the product of blood, sweat, and tears.

tumblr_p2msn7AQHq1ud1yeyo1_500.png

Dark Squiggle

Troubadour
It may look pretty, but it's the product of blood, sweat, and tears.

tumblr_p2msn7AQHq1ud1yeyo1_500.png
I have never even tried to get such rich color out of a pencil. If I were to try to draw something like that, I'd start with pencil, but finish it with pastel or crayon. Here is my current work, it took me about 30 minutes so far. 100% Oil pastel. I am awed by how much effort that must've taken you to do in pencil.

Attachments

• 0115182344c.jpg
    0115182344c.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Tom

Tom

Istar
I have never even tried to get such rich color out of a pencil. If I were to try to draw something like that, I'd start with pencil, but finish it with pastel or crayon. Here is my current work, it took me about 30 minutes so far. 100% Oil pastel. I am awed by how much effort that must've taken you to do in pencil.

Nice! I love how soft your lines are, and the vibrancy of the colors. I never had the finesse for pastels--I always smear them or manage to muddy the colors.

I really hate colored pencil, but I needed a new piece for my portfolio (the old one was looking a little...sad next to my current work), so I forced myself into it. The key to getting good saturation out of 'em is to press down until you develop carpal tunnel and then just keep layering until you've got this thick, waxy coating on the paper. I was not lying when I said my arm was burning afterwards.

Nimue

Auror
Dang that’s lovely Tom! Is that metallic gold paint? The colors turned out fantastic but you’ve hit on one of the reasons I can’t be arsed to do anything but digital art...upsize that brush and scribble in whatever you need! I hope you’re looking after your hand/wrist health—take breaks, stretch those tendons according to a medical guide, and do hand-strengthening exercises! I’ve just seen multiple artists on social media start developing hand problems even in their mid-to-late twenties so be careful :( Yes, I’m a grandma, so sue me.

Tom

Istar
Dang that’s lovely Tom! Is that metallic gold paint? The colors turned out fantastic but you’ve hit on one of the reasons I can’t be arsed to do anything but digital art...upsize that brush and scribble in whatever you need! I hope you’re looking after your hand/wrist health—take breaks, stretch those tendons according to a medical guide, and do hand-strengthening exercises! I’ve just seen multiple artists on social media start developing hand problems even in their mid-to-late twenties so be careful :( Yes, I’m a grandma, so sue me.

Thanks! Yes, it is metallic gold paint--it's called Liquid Leaf and it looks exactly like the real deal when you apply it. My art buddies and I got obsessed with it a couple semesters ago. Makes anything look 10 times fancier!

Unfortunately it's a little late for my wrists--I've had carpal tunnel for a while now, thanks to high school sports injuries and years of typing on a bad keyboard. Stretching and wrist braces helped rehabilitate them to a certain extent, but they still hurt a lot when I draw or type for long periods of time.

Nimue

Auror
Oh, I’m sorry to hear that, that really sucks... At least you know about it now and know to take steps against it. Do take breaks! And maybe switch to paint instead of pencil for swaths of paper, eh?

Tom

Istar
Oh, I’m sorry to hear that, that really sucks... At least you know about it now and know to take steps against it. Do take breaks! And maybe switch to paint instead of pencil for swaths of paper, eh?

Yeah, it does suck...I do my best to prevent flare-ups, but it's something I've learned to live with. This was my first time working extensively with pencils in...god, over a year, so I definitely wasn't used to the stress it puts on my wrist.

Wow. Gorgeous.

Thank you!

Tom

Istar
I really wanted to take the only intermediate film photography class my professor is running this semester, but I thought it conflicted with another class. I just found out that it does, in fact, work with my schedule and that it's still open for registration!! I'm deliriously happy right now.

Scribes, my anxiety is very bad right now. I feel sick and dizzy and frightened. Prayers, kind thoughts, encouraging words, recipes for comfort food, and photos of cats are all greatly appreciated.