• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

MineOwnKing

Maester
It really is pretty. I just hate hate driving in the snow. It's awful. People lose their heads when driving in it too and make all kinds of stupid decisions. Couple that with the fact I live near a high school with idiot teenagers losing their heads in the snow and I turn into an insta-scrooge.

Driving in snow is easy if you grow up doing it 6 months of the year.

County plow trucks run daily here. So even if we get buried overnight the roads are cleared and salted by dawn.

I lived in Detroit for a short while so I know of the idiocy you speak of. No snow removal there.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I like taking a walk after a good dump too. :)

Last edited:

Russ

Istar
It really is pretty. I just hate hate driving in the snow. It's awful. People lose their heads when driving in it too and make all kinds of stupid decisions. Couple that with the fact I live near a high school with idiot teenagers losing their heads in the snow and I turn into an insta-scrooge.

Try living near Toronto, where we get plenty of snow, but we have a high population of people who grew up never seeing snow and people who don't seem to want to invest in snow tires.

But the worst are the people who think owning a SUV with four wheel drive means the laws of physics don't apply to you...

But to me, driving in the snow is fun, I used to rally competitively and once you know what you are doing (left foot braking etc), it can be a lot of fun...except all those other drivers get in the way...

C

Chessie

In Alaska, driving in the winter without snow tires is a sure way of racking up towing and insurance bills. There's more ice than snow on the roads and since our city is broke, plow trucks seem to be a thing of the past.

For example, about a month ago we got a super cold spell--then rain---then cold. The roads were like glaciers but never got sanded. Coming down our mountain was terrifying (and I have studded tires), especially since the drive is downhill and winding.

Try living near Toronto, where we get plenty of snow, but we have a high population of people who grew up never seeing snow and people who don't seem to want to invest in snow tires.

But the worst are the people who think owning a SUV with four wheel drive means the laws of physics don't apply to you...

But to me, driving in the snow is fun, I used to rally competitively and once you know what you are doing (left foot braking etc), it can be a lot of fun...except all those other drivers get in the way...

I feel you on that. I got to school where tons of Californians and Texans go. They have bald tires and no snow driving ability. Add in the natives who act like they're the best snow drivers ever and it's hell on earth. So now, because of a generation hotel point donation from a family member, I'm staying in a hotel to avoid the morning icy roads.

MineOwnKing

Maester
Midnight Ramblings of MineOwnKing

From my foxhole in the frozen waste, the horizon remains obscured within darkness. The electronic glow of a laptop reveals my position and I brace for a cross-haired fate. The sniper of Christmas past aims true and I am hit with a bullet of memories. I am floating now, half bathed in dream-scape, flat-lined with reminiscence.

I see myself twelve winters younger, walking the ancient Roman roads of Ivrea Italy. Hello handsome, I remember you. The cobblestones are slick at night and I see myself brace as the woman that became my wife emerges from the mist. I had almost forgotten today was the anniversary of that moment, such an exquisite ark of hearts swept by an amorous flood.

Tall, proud and beautiful, she sank her hooks into me. I am indebted to the events of that day. Rich in joy, firm in bond, I greet each new day tempered from the fires of lingering passion.

Hang there, my verse, in witness of my love:
And thou, thrice-crowned queen of night, survey
With thy chaste eye, from thy pale sphere above,
Thy huntress' name that my full life doth sway.
--Shakespeare

if you are excited for the new starwar's movie here's a parody song you may be interested in.

[video=youtube_share;UAMyh8DjCrQ]https://youtu.be/UAMyh8DjCrQ[/video]

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Begone exams! Christmas here i come!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-E610v met Tapatalk

Totes jelly banten. I'm starting a 36 hour take home with an hour or so. My wife will become a wide and child fatherless for today and part of tomorrow.

Saigonnus

Auror
Sitting at the theater, waiting 45 minutes for Star Wars; The Force Awakens. Thought there would be a line... But nope, got in without waiting.

Don't worry, I'll post no spoilers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
In the land of Bach and Beethoven, a young Banten went.

His eyes fell upon a steaming white beverage in a shoe-shaped cup.

With vigorous zeal he bought both cup and drink, which cost him quite a cent.

Eggnogg the locals called it slightly before Banten drank it up.

Where has this gift of the gods been all my eggnoggless life, yelled Banten into the skies?

It does not matter my son said Odin with a powerful voice. Just make sure it does not go to your thighs!

And that little abomination is why i don't do poetry :)
Is Eggnogg always like 30% or is that a german thing? I always thought it was a soft drink, but this pleasantly surprised me.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Is Eggnogg always like 30% or is that a german thing? I always thought it was a soft drink, but this pleasantly surprised me.

Now I'm imagining fizzy eggnog... ewwww.

To answer your question, I think it's quite common to have rum in one's 'nog. No idea where it originated, though.

Reactions: Ban

Russ

Istar
In Canada we have always drank eggnog. Often with rum.

You can make some pretty cool martinis with it as well!

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
That sounds nice, but normal american eggnogg isn't that alcoholic?
I guess i shouldn't be surprised that the germans would add more goodness to an already good drink. Anyway i am in a christmas mood now.

4 hours of drafting for this stupid final = 13 pages done and about 13 or so to go. Leaving 4.5 hours for editing and citation clean up. Back once more into the breach!

Russ

Istar
That sounds nice, but normal american eggnogg isn't that alcoholic?
I guess i shouldn't be surprised that the germans would add more goodness to an already good drink. Anyway i am in a christmas mood now.

No eggnog arrives alcoholic. You buy the eggnog on its own and add the alcohol to your own taste.

Now all you have to do is find a good Christmas market to enjoy it in.

Try some ghulwein if you get the chance.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Oh i thought it was alcoholic on its own. Interesting, i've never had eggnogg before and you can't buy it here in any supermarket.

And about the gluhwein, i live on the southern dutch-german border. Kind of hard to avoid gluhwein in december :D

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Yeah. In Canada we mix the nogg with anything. Rum is the most popular, but I've seen it mixed with whiskey, rye (Canadian whiskey), cheap scotch, Amaretto…

I think though, that Canada is next to Germany in our quest to stay warm with booze. Probably Russia is in there somewhere. I can imagine that Nogg mixed with Vodka would be tasty.

Yeah. In Canada we mix the nogg with anything. Rum is the most popular, but I've seen it mixed with whiskey, rye (Canadian whiskey), cheap scotch, Amaretto…

I think though, that Canada is next to Germany in our quest to stay warm with booze. Probably Russia is in there somewhere. I can imagine that Nogg mixed with Vodka would be tasty.

In Russia it's about drowning your misery not at staying warm. Little known fact Russians are required to kill a bear at age 3 in order to stay warm. Those that don't are sent off to Siberia.