• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

C

Chessie

I really enjoyed school and on most days really enjoy work.

But I didn't think of school as a "recreational activity", but rather the gateway to a super cool place called university.

Also, to me, school wasn't just about the classes. I socialized, enjoyed clubs, and played a number of sports. Had a great time and would go back to university as a student for the rest of my life if that was possible.

Of course as in many things YMMV. I know some fun time authors who find the work a bit of a grind, especially if they are in a two or more book a deal contract. Could I tell you some stories about R.L. Stein in that regard...
I love that my work is writing. Granted I'm still in the process of eventually getting income from my books vs those I write for, but I'm hoping that by the end of the year my luck will change. Putting in a ton of effort to make that happen. So I do love my work because writing for hours on end beats any job I've ever had. Period.

School was something I enjoyed as well. Even in college I still had a blast. Learning in a classroom setting is orderly, organized, super inspiring, and I enjoy intelligent discussions with people. My husband hated school and got his G.E.D, went to work right away, so I think our kid just takes after him. We know children that love school. Our boy doesn't. He cops attitude about it constantly. The school year just started too so we'll see how things progress but he's only in 3rd grade...which to me seems like a grade most kids enjoy.

Wait, are you saying that there are kids who actually like school? I've never met one of those (except maybe really young ones; i.e. grades 1 to 4).

i love school. Seriously. Just the baseball part though, unfortunately, not the other stuff lol. I tolerate math, though I do get good grades. But I do actually like parts of school aside from the baseball.

C

Chessie

Wish I could get in the writing mood today. It's already afternoon and I haven't written a damn word.

1 - Public School year is starting, and that tends to be a huge time sink for people your age. Yet you never mentioned it infringing upon your writing.

2 - You never mentioned 'friends from school.'

1- Ah, yeah, I've always had quite a bit of time to devote to writing due to being homeschooled. Ive been doing some school work over the summer, and haven't fully returned to a normal school year schedule quite yet.

2- I do have friends though, as every homeschooled kid has to somehow explain to everyone they run into in their lives--yes, other than my siblings.

Us homeschooled people should wear T-shirts that say "I'm homeschooled, yes I like it, yes I have friends, no im not "lucky," I have to do the same stuff you do, no my parents are not trying to brainwash me, etc. etc." Would save so much time and effort.

1 - Public School year is starting, and that tends to be a huge time sink for people your age. Yet you never mentioned it infringing upon your writing.

2 - You never mentioned 'friends from school.'

Hey, I'm home schooled, and school does take a large chunk of time out of my writing. I only write when I have time, say after homework is finished or on the weekends if I have no projects or stuff to do.

Another surprise, I have friends too, some are home schooled, some are from public school.

And look, another surprise, I play high school baseball. But wait I'm home schooled, how is that possible? There are options with sports for us home schooled kids.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Prayers for Emily. Yes, let us know when she recovers. Great to know she's stable.

This Kenneth is a real creep and a coward; glad he was caught.

Hey, I'm home schooled, and school does take a large chunk of time out of my writing. I only write when I have time, say after homework is finished or on the weekends if I have no projects or stuff to do.

Another surprise, I have friends too, some are home schooled, some are from public school.

And look, another surprise, I play high school baseball. But wait I'm home schooled, how is that possible? There are options with sports for us home schooled kids.

oh, cool! Yeah i probably won't have as much time once i start all my subjects back.some of my friends have basically no free time because they do so much stuff though.