• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Well I don't suggest typing into google worst fantasy books. You come away thinking "is mine good enough? Please don't let me be on a list!" But anyway, I think those thoughts cloud all of us while writing, deep down. Normally they don't pester me though, but after reading why all those books are failures, I guess there was a prison riot and all the thoughts escaped and were able to run amok.

Well I don't suggest typing into google worst fantasy books. You come away thinking "is mine good enough? Please don't let me be on a list!" But anyway, I think those thoughts cloud all of us while writing, deep down. Normally they don't pester me though, but after reading why all those books are failures, I guess there was a prison riot and all the thoughts escaped and were able to run amok.

Yeah...I read lots of bad reviews for popular books. They're fun to read, but they also make me terrified deep down of committing the same crimes that the readers reviled in those books.

La Volpe

Sage
Yeah...I read lots of bad reviews for popular books. They're fun to read, but they also make me terrified deep down of committing the same crimes that the readers reviled in those books.

Yep. I do not want to publish a master piece, in my eyes, then become a punching bag for critics.

I've done this before, for some reason. But I like to keep in mind that you're only doing really well once you've gotten a few bad reviews. I mean, there is not a single brilliant work out there without 1 star Amazon reviews that think it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

Reaver

Staff
Today marks 100 years since the U.S. Marines were established. To those on MS who have served in the Marines, thank you for your service!

The U.S. Marine Corps was established on November 10, 1775 by the Continental Congress and is the official birthday that all Marines, including this one, celebrate. The U.S. Marine Corps Reserve was founded on August 29, 1916.

Thanks for the sentiment though.

Boot_Camp.jpg

Young Reaver at Bootcamp. Parris Island, SC 1990.​

I pretty much hate remakes or adaptations that ignore the central nature of the source material. The Depp version of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was a case in point. Also, the Ender's Game movie—despite having probably the ideal lead actor (and he did great; the script is what sucked), the movie failed so hard for me.

Reaver

Staff
I pretty much hate remakes or adaptations that ignore the central nature of the source material. The Depp version of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was a case in point. Also, the Ender's Game movie—despite having probably the ideal lead actor (and he did great; the script is what sucked), the movie failed so hard for me.

Ah, yes. Ender's Game. So much potential for a good movie but not even Han Solo himself could save it.

One of the worst adaptations from book to film is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. They claim that Adams signed off on it but he died before it was finished.

The director and screenwriters had no respect for him.

Ah, yes. Ender's Game. So much potential for a good movie but not even Han Solo himself could save it.

One of the worst adaptations from book to film is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. They claim that Adams signed off on it but he died before it was finished.

The director and screenwriters had no respect for him.

I've read many positive comments about the Hitchhiker's movie. I thought I was the only one disappointed by it.

[Edit: Incidentally, I was referring to Asa Butterfield. Harrison Ford also was great for his role, but....man I could go on an on about how the script and directing ruined the movie.]

Last edited:

Reaver

Staff
I've read many positive comments about the Hitchhiker's movie. I thought I was the only one disappointed by it.

[Edit: Incidentally, I was referring to Asa Butterfield. Harrison Ford also was great for his role, but....man I could go on an on about how the script and directing ruined the movie.]

The positive comments about Hitchhiker's Guide are by people who've never read the books.

The casting for Ender's game was good and they did the best they could with the script. However, no matter how good someone is, you can't polish a turd.

My mind has started toying around with my WIP again and I suddenly have enough questions discussion would alleviate to start 4 or 5 threads...but I don't think it's a good idea to post them all at once...

So many questions I can't answer. Two in particular I've already posed to the scribes with no insight gained or ideas sparked. My WIP is at a complete halt because of them and I'm in complete despair...Again, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, that I can't figure these things out...

Saigonnus

Auror
An endless labyrinth of unsolvable problems. That's what my WIP is. I wish I didn't have to feel so soul-crushingly depressed about it.

Normally if I feel like that, I work on something else instead of the soul-crushing work in progress. It keeps me busy, and if inspiration strikes, then I go back to it. For me, it comes in fits and starts, so I just roll with it. I always have 3 or 4 other things to work on.

Yesterday, for example, I finished the duty schedule for my sci-fi ship's crew.

I hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk