• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Anyone know how many stamps I'd need/how much it would cost to send a get-well card from Manitoba to Colorado?

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I think you'll end up paying about $1. Not sure if that's US dollars or Canadian dollars.

We always mail things to Hong Kong. Even a small town post office can tell us what we need—one international stamp for a letter, or weigh and pay if it's a package. I'm mailing out of the US, but I imagine you can show up at a post office in Canada with a letter in an envelope and get an international stamp there, or whatever you need.

The mutual relationship between human and canine goes back thousands and thousands of years and is one of the most natural, purest bonds humans can have. We have physically evolved along one another, side by side, for millenniums. The common theory is that ancient tribal humans took wolves and bred them for hunting. They helped us find food, and in return we gave them safety and a share of the meat.

My family is not a hunter-gatherer tribe, I was not a hunter, and he was not a wolf, but the bond he shared with our family was just as strong. He was an escape artist when he young, and a little bit of grouch when he got older. He wasn’t the cutest thing to ever exist and he wasn’t a fancy purebred. He was a scruffy little mutt. And he was our dog. And we were his humans.

I was just five years old and begging my parents to get me a dog for Christmas, even though we already had several pets, when he showed up at our grandparent’s door just before the holiday. He’d been with us for fifteen years since then, and during that time he’d seen other dogs come and go, been through three houses, and may or may not have impregnated neighbor dogs on a few occasion, He’d had a lot of lollipops to eat and squeaky toys to attack. He bit me a couple times. I believe, for a dog, that his years were good. And the mere fact that his years were good made them good for us. There was love and compassion between him and the family, and that is what any dog or human could ask for.

RIP Scrappy. He will be missed.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Sorry for your loss, evolution_rex. Having said goodbye to several pets over the years, including multiple dogs, I know it hurts as much as losing a human family member.

The mutual relationship between human and canine goes back thousands and thousands of years and is one of the most natural, purest bonds humans can have. We have physically evolved along one another, side by side, for millenniums. The common theory is that ancient tribal humans took wolves and bred them for hunting. They helped us find food, and in return we gave them safety and a share of the meat.

My family is not a hunter-gatherer tribe, I was not a hunter, and he was not a wolf, but the bond he shared with our family was just as strong. He was an escape artist when he young, and a little bit of grouch when he got older. He wasn’t the cutest thing to ever exist and he wasn’t a fancy purebred. He was a scruffy little mutt. And he was our dog. And we were his humans.

I was just five years old and begging my parents to get me a dog for Christmas, even though we already had several pets, when he showed up at our grandparent’s door just before the holiday. He’d been with us for fifteen years since then, and during that time he’d seen other dogs come and go, been through three houses, and may or may not have impregnated neighbor dogs on a few occasion, He’d had a lot of lollipops to eat and squeaky toys to attack. He bit me a couple times. I believe, for a dog, that his years were good. And the mere fact that his years were good made them good for us. There was love and compassion between him and the family, and that is what any dog or human could ask for.

So sorry for your loss. I know how special a dog can be to you, and how deeply they can touch your life. Dogs are a true gift to humanity.

Sorry man. We've lost a lot of dogs over the years, and other animals, so I feel and understand your pain.

C

Chessie

I'm sorry about your dog, Evolution-Rex. Losing animals is just like losing human loved ones. We build emotional connections and relationships with them. Sometimes, all people have are their pets. HUGS. Feel your sadness, and when the time is right, adopt a doggy and give him/her a good home.