• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Rant About the Publishing World

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Er, okay...I'm eighteen and I wouldn't even dream of sending anything in to a publisher. Are you crazy? Be realistic. You're 17, of course they're going to reject you.

I wouldn't let age alone stop someone from trying. While it is rare, it is nonetheless possible for a teenager to become a published author. And if you experience some rejections, all the better. Rejection can be a valuable learning experience.

I wouldn't let age alone stop someone from trying. While it is rare, it is nonetheless possible for a teenager to become a published author. And if you experience some rejections, all the better. Rejection can be a valuable learning experience.

Agreed. Work under the assumption that ALL authors will get rejected...multiple times. Learn and adapt.

There are three published novelists (with publishing firms) on this site and I believe that reading from their experiences, they (myself included) have ALL been rejected...perhaps by an agent, perhaps a short story, what have you. Heck, JK Rowling was turned down by multiple publishing firms before someone snagged Harry Potter.

Rejection is part of the game.

TWErvin2

Auror
Unless the author tells the publisher his/her age, the publisher will have no clue. Most communication, and especially initial communication, is electronic (email). The writer's work will be accepted or rejected based on its quality and if the publisher believes they can market it/make a profit.

If you're under 18, signing a contract may be less straight forward--depending on the state(s)/locality involved. Minors are not always able to enter into a legal/binding contract. However, if you're 17 and writing...it's going to take a year at least to:
--finish the work and get it into good enough shape to submit to publishers (partials and full manuscript)
--work it's way through the slush pile(s)
--be accepted--then you can find an agent/attorney to assist you with the legal concerns, but here a literary attorney might be better.

Even looking for an agent--querying, sending partials, manuscripts etc. can take quite a while.

Just my two cents.