• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Sound effects in audiobooks

I'm an old drama kid and I am recording some of my short stories for fun.
I am an illustrator as my day-job so I listen to a lot of audiobooks while I work.
I like a straight narrator, but I have also enjoyed the full on audio productions of things like Vox in the Void.

I'm a ham, so I read dramatically and make voices because I can't help myself.
When it comes to music and sound effects and so on, I don't know what to do.
What does everyone here prefer?

Thanks y'all!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I prefer straight readings or full audio adaptations, but rarely anything in the middle.
The exception is a bundle of Star Trek audio books that have computer chirps and door swishing effects. They feel so right.
I'm listening to The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy with no sound effects and it works wonderfully.
And the BBC's adaptation of Lord of the Rings is a hard to fault [except they left out Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Downs]

I used to love listening to cassette tapes as a child, particularly the ones that were a full production with various different actors and sound effects. But I also used to the love the reading of Treasure Island, where it was just one actor reading in a dramatic tone. I can’t say I’m interested in listening to audiobooks these days. Not sure why, I prefer the silence of reading a book over listening to an ear worm.

Obviously with just one man, this can’t really be done. I’d say, it’d get tedious listening to one man try and do lots of different voices unless you were particularly talented at doing this, like Stephen Fry or something.

bproorda

Acolyte
I love when I can find a full cast audio of wonderful story, instead of one guy/girl trying to sound like other people. I could definitely think of some cases where sound effects would have been a boon

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Whenever I listen to an audiobook, which is rare so don't put too much stock in my account, I prefer it if the narrator hurries up a little and maintains their composure. Some sound effects and altered voices can be pleasant, but I (proverbially) put the book down if these are accompanied with frequent pauses or overly dramatic narration. I've never been one for theater and am capable of pressing the pause button myself if the need strikes me. And for the love of the gods, no screaming or whispering! Keep the volume steady I bid.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I, too, talk in voices, lots of cartoon and little kid character voices, and I don't even need something to read. ;)

I'm going to come out as anti-music and anti-sound effects. Unless you're also a sound engineer, you don't have a lot of control over what your ear hears, the game of Telephone that your files go through, and what the reader hears. You could be one misplaced fart sound away from a DNF.

Rexenm

Inkling
I prefer if a book is read in a different accent, one that fits the clime. For dramatised versions, then yes, sound effects can be a ditch. But I prefer if the effect serves a function, unless it’s an obvious gag. I found a hobbyist, who reads to rain, in an amusing tone, to get one to sleep. Pattern and rhythm, such as iambic pentameter, is important for each stanza of haiku. That should get you counting sheep.

intrepidwisteria

A variety in narrating voices, whether by the same person or by a cast, is always interesting and helpful to keep me tuned in. But I personally find sound effects and things of that nature (music, for example) to be mostly distracting.

I'm an old drama kid and I am recording some of my short stories for fun.
I am an illustrator as my day-job so I listen to a lot of audiobooks while I work.
I like a straight narrator, but I have also enjoyed the full on audio productions of things like Vox in the Void.

I'm a ham, so I read dramatically and make voices because I can't help myself.
When it comes to music and sound effects and so on, I don't know what to do.
What does everyone here prefer?

Thanks y'all!
That's so cool that you're recording your short stories! As an illustrator, it's great that you're utilizing your downtime to explore your creative side.

I think your dramatic reading style will definitely bring your stories to life! As for music and sound effects, it's really up to personal preference. Some people enjoy a more immersive experience with soundscapes and FX, while others prefer a more straightforward narration.

If you're looking for inspiration, you could check out some popular audiobook productions or podcasts that incorporate music and sound effects. You might get some ideas for your own recordings!

Here's a recording of a short story I made:
If y'all could give me some feedback on the music, voices, amount of sound effects, etc. I would be very much obliged.
About 30 minutes total, but y'all can skip around. I don't expect anyone to listen to the whole thing.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
If y'all could give me some feedback on the music, voices, amount of sound effects, etc. I would be very much obliged.
About 30 minutes total, but y'all can skip around. I don't expect anyone to listen to the whole thing.

In terms of the audio, I rather like the simplicity of it without sound effects, but I'm generally not the type of person to be wowed by effects, special or otherwise. As long as things are serviceable, I don't need anything else.

One thing I would like to see more of is drawings. This is probably because... Uggg... I'm showing my age here, but the video reminds me a lot of a show I used to watch when I was a kid on PBS called The Book Bird/Cover to Cover. They didn't tell a whole story, but they introduced the story, used illustrations, and read passages to draw you in and expected you to go read the darn book if you wanted to find out the end. Here's a playlist from youtube. It might be useful to you. I might not, but here it is.

I can see why you said you were a drama school kid as it seems you have experience of knowing how to speak at the right time with the right tone etc. (sorry I do not know the technical terms) and so it’s at a high standard of quality. The audio is good quality, and the soft background music accompanying the drawing all comes together nicely. Hopefully you’ll get some good views for it 👍🏻

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I have wondered about this quite a bit, actually. Cause the production is all theater, and I would expect that the better I can make the production the more it will reach for that upper pinnacle. But so many dont do this, that I wonder why? Is there some marketing data that suggests this is not really a good idea that the audio book industry knows that all us amateurs do not.

I have to create an audio book, and I would very much like the characters read in different voices. But...why is that so rare? I am not sure it has ever truly bothered me that they were not there, and it may distract to be there. But then...I bet there has to be a way to do it in a masterful way. Maybe the gap is great, or the line is too close. Attempting this has such a small chance of coming across as masterful, and everything else becomes crap. Its best not attempted.

I dont know...but I would like to know before I dump a lot of energy into it.

Personally, I think there must a reason this is not done, and its probably more tried and true not to muck with it.

Dramatic, story telling Radio though....they can have all of this.

Since I am putting out Book 1, this may be something I can answer better is a short amount of time.

I have wondered about this quite a bit, actually. Cause the production is all theater, and I would expect that the better I can make the production the more it will reach for that upper pinnacle. But so many dont do this, that I wonder why? Is there some marketing data that suggests this is not really a good idea that the audio book industry knows that all us amateurs do not.

I have to create an audio book, and I would very much like the characters read in different voices. But...why is that so rare? I am not sure it has ever truly bothered me that they were not there, and it may distract to be there. But then...I bet there has to be a way to do it in a masterful way. Maybe the gap is great, or the line is too close. Attempting this has such a small chance of coming across as masterful, and everything else becomes crap. Its best not attempted.

I dont know...but I would like to know before I dump a lot of energy into it.

Personally, I think there must a reason this is not done, and its probably more tried and true not to muck with it.

Dramatic, story telling Radio though....they can have all of this.

Since I am putting out Book 1, this may be something I can answer better is a short amount of time.
Yeah, I can see why you'd wonder about that. It's definitely a challenge to pull off a full-cast audiobook, and maybe that's why it's not done often. But hey, you're doing something different with your Steampunk Holmsian Academia setting, so why not try something new with the production too?

You might be surprised at how it turns out. And even if it doesn't work out, you'll learn something from the experience. Keep us posted on how it goes!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...I'm not doing steampunk. Nothing even close, but I am not at the point of making an audio book yet. When I get there, we'll see.

People dont know, but as I go through my everyday life, I am listening to people just to hear how they sound, and thinking....could I use them... 🤔