1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

The Mandalorian Spoiler Thread

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Garren Jacobsen, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

I agree with a lot of that... and I could pile on. Eventually I shut off my brain and enjoyed the “cool” factor. The story was... I don’t even know what to call it. There was a lot of head-slappers in there. The Mandalorian is a major badass only when he needs to be, the rest of the time he spends life getting the crap kicked out of him.

2. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

The better Walker question is... why would it even get close to that simplistic, stupid trap in the first place? heh heh. As my wife might say... because it’s in the script.

3. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

The first three, sure. After that, not so much. I think that's because Star Wars really was revolutionary, unlike anything that had come before, so even though the plot and writing weren't all that brilliant, the overall effect was. By the time of the later movies, they were more like also-rans because other brilliant SF movies had come along.

But staying strictly within the framework of the Star Wars movies, The Mandalorian struck me as a significant step down. Which is why I'm puzzled why the reviews are so strong. Heck, I thought the writing and acting on Clone Wars was better.

4. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

>because it’s in the script.
    Exactly this. If the sets had been cheap, this could have been one of those groaner SF television shows from the 70s.

Demesnedenoir likes this.
  5. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

Rogue One is the only one of the newer movies I put up there with the originals... and it’s the one most closely related to the originals... go figure. And I think you’re right, in part, but what New Hope in particular was is FUN. It was really the characters you came to love in IV that carried V and VI for me, not story. A point to make is that in the 70’s movies trended “heavier” and more serious, so this sort of sci-fantasy hit a market primed for it.

6. Gray-Hand

Gray-Hand Minstrel

I like that they cast a solid, muscular woman in the Cara Dune role rather than the usual waif from central casting. Hope it catches on.

7. Zander Willmore

Zander Willmore Minstrel

I kind of liked this show. But a few things in the last episode bothered me. Number one Mandy had been kicking stormtrooper butt for most of the time. He was just one man and they couldnt stop him. So how did a squad of troopers take down a whole colony of Mandos? And the metal that the Mados use is much saught after yet the troopers leave a whole freaken pile of it behind. Wouldnt they want that? Then when they were on the river of lava (how did the boat not melt) and they saw the troopers waiting for them they panicked. They have been destroying this guys at every encounter so why worry so much about just a few waiting for them?

Zander who is bothered by the little things.

8. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

THIS is easy to explain... it was the ONE squad of Stormtroopers capable of hitting the broadside of a bantha. My theory is that the rest of the crack stormtroopers were trained to fire warning shots and never hit anybody.

9. FifthView

FifthView Istar

The fact that the region of the Empire/Rebellion is soooo huge and not one single person in its long history ever figured out how to invent auto targeting for laser weapons—and also, that clunkers can be cobbled together and flown in space without a care in the world—.... Well, I could go on.