• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

This or That?

I'd say go into another. I would head into Salvatore's Drizz't series (yes, I know it is the D&D world, but let me have my own fantasies) and meet Drizz't and the gang. My world is interesting to me, but it isn't fully fleshed out yet. Don't want to disappear when I step on a blank space ;).

Would you rather your favorite author stick with the same characters through several novels or move on to a new set with each book?

Stick with the same characters through several novels. The novel format allows, more than any other, characters to grow and develop in a way that can make later developments immensely impactful. E.g., the Red Wedding, the epic stuff that happens later in the Harry Potter series, etc.

That said, I'd rather have the characters' story eventually come to an end, and not be revisited. Characters who have adventures for decades just get old eventually, with rare exception -- in fact, only one good exception I can think of: Miles Vorkosigan.

Next: What goes better with peanut butter: bananas or raisins?

Sparkie

Auror
Elvis may disagree, but there's nothing better than peanut butter on raisin toast.

(Anyone understand the Elvis reference?)

Medieval Legos or Space Legos?

Reaver

Staff
Medieval Legos, without question...ooh...except for the Star Wars Legos, those are super cool...

Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings?

That is a good one. Lord of the Rings for me. As far as the movies go, there is no question. With the books it is closer, but that is probably because I grew up with Harry, so those stories are special to me and my generation.

Skiing/snowboarding or surfing?

Reaver

Staff
Skiing/snowboarding. Surprisingly less likelihood of shark attack.

Dogs or cats?

Last edited:

Leuco

Troubadour
I say Buffy. I think they did a better job developing characters. Firefly didn't really run long enough.

Next: King Arthur or Robin Hood?

That's a really good one. I love both, and the King Arthur movie with Clive Owen was great, but I would go with Robin Hood. It's just a more interesting tale to me.

Troy or 300?

300 and Troy were both overblown nonsense, but 300 at least had style. It was memorable. Troy was a very generic sword-'n'-sandals epic.

Rand or Mat? (If that makes no sense, then you may choose from "Arya or Tyrion" instead. If that makes no sense, then, I guess, "Merry or Pippin")

myrddin173

Maester
Mat, Rand has just gotten odd... Though I would probably choose Perrin over those two.

Where would you rather go, Neverland or Wonderland?

Edit: curse you Steerpike!

Audrey Hepburn, I haven't heard of the other...

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
The one with a flying circus wins over the one who mixes slapstick with oddly childish jokes whose punchlines involve seeing a naked girl. (At age 13, my preference was the other way around.)

Sopranos or Boardwalk Empire?

Reaver

Staff
Sopranos, but only because my Mom lives in Kearny, NJ (pronounced carnie) and walks past "Satriale's" deli (seen in the opening credits and is really an abandoned building) on her way to church every Sunday.

Dr.Pepper or Mr.Pibb?

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Mr. Pibb. (Miss Pepper sounded so much sexier before she got her PhD.)

I don't know if I should ask... it's too political, and I'm afraid people might know where I stand. And God help the person who steps up and replies...

Oh the hell with it! Here it is:

(...hesitates...)

Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks?