• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Time to move to the UK

When I was young I used to have really milky tea. People used to say "do you want any tea with that milk?". However now I'm older I do appreciate a nice strong tea, what a Brit would call "tea with a spot of milk".

You can let the barista know that you want more tea. We have several people that do almost all tea with just a few inches of steamed milk. if you don't say anything than we'll do the default of about 3/4 tea and 1/4 milk.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Convince me not to leave as well, Sidekick. I have no plans to, but I feel like I'll regret it if I do it in the future.
I was warned by other teachers that I'd regret it, and I do. One said, "over here, you're the King of English. Back home, you're [#$%*!]." I forgot his exact words, but "you're #$%*!" was implied. I like having a house and land, and I hate crowds, so I might be better off here. But the job will never be that high-respect/low-pressure lifestyle I enjoyed in HK, where one in every seven days I'm at Pacific Coffee listening to the White Album, having chai tea and chips, and writing bits of my novel after I'm done correcting papers.

By the way, I tried milk tea, but it made me do a spit-take. I do like some kind of ginger tea au lait thing I found here. I drink it almost everyday. So I guess I do like milk tea, as long as it's a flavor I like.
Ginger tea is cool. It's cool because I said so. If you don't think that's a reason, take it up with Reaver.

Reaver

Staff
Originally Posted by Legendary Sidekick:

Ginger tea is cool. It's cool because I said so. If you don't think that's a reason, take it up with Reaver.

Damn straight they can take it with me, Legendary One!

Last edited:

Sparkie

Auror
But the job will never be that high-respect/low-pressure lifestyle I enjoyed in HK, where one in every seven days I'm at Pacific Coffee listening to the White Album, having chai tea and chips, and writing bits of my novel after I'm done correcting papers.

I wish I could have that life. (sigh)

Anyway, this thread has me back on my herbal tea kick. I'm drinking apple cinnamon right now. Cheap stuff, but I don't care as long as it's good.

Jess A

Archmage
Think I'm going to get some tea what with all this chat. With some milk. Earl gray I think, loose leaf. ;)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I wish I could have that life. (sigh)

Anyway, this thread has me back on my herbal tea kick. I'm drinking apple cinnamon right now. Cheap stuff, but I don't care as long as it's good.
Bigelow apple cinnamon? That's a decent brand, and they used to sell a flavor called Fruit and Almond, or something with almond anyway. It had the best taste and smell of all the Bigelow herbal flavors.

Another good one taste-and-smell-wise (same brand) is vanilla chai. This might sound stupid, but the flavor comes out best when I nuke it! Seriously... I was boiling water as if having to wait ten minutes made me a tea purist, but when I added a spoonful of Delight, I basically ended up with hot milk with a hint of tea.

Now I pour water in a cup, drop the bag in, press 99 (or 333 for two cups) and make The Strongest vanilla chai tea (and vanilla honey chamomile for my wife).

(Note: I repeat digits because the display on my microwave doesn't work, and for some reason I feel less likely to make a mistake if I just press the same button 2 or 3 times. That probably invites opportunities for tragedy. ["3333" A half hour later, the house explodes.])