• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

Fyle

Inkling
Moby Dick.

Its not exactly fantasy, but I am reading it cause it obviously has a heavy sea farring theme and sea travel is connected with fantasy...

Its giving me ideas on how to describe boats, sailors, oceans and if I am careful I can sneak in some terminology.

I'm on chapter 18... getting ready to set sail.

Mythopoet

Auror
I've gotten to about the middle of Dracula and I'm very much enjoying it. I didn't know what to expect other than "quintessential vampire story" so I was a bit surprised by the epistolary format, but it's working for me. The narrative is entirely comprised of journal entries, letters and newspaper articles, which lends it a feeling of verisimilitude not found in today's supernatural fiction.

Russ

Istar
Just reading a great biography of John Wayne by Eyman (sp?)

Not only was he a fascinating guy, it talks a great deal about myth making in Hollywood, image control, and larger than life people.

Really enjoying it.

Butterfly

Auror
I've started reading The Winter King, book one of The Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. It's a mix of historical fiction and Arthurian mythology. Set in a more realistic post Roman era/dark ages, and has less of the romanticised medievalism of other versions of the legends. Makes it interesting.

Last edited:

Mythopoet

Auror
I've started reading The Winter King, book one of The Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. It's a mix of historical fiction and Arthurian mythology. Set in a more realistic post Roman era/dark ages, and has less of the romanticised medievalism of other versions of the legends. Makes it interesting.

Oh man, I read those books several times some years ago. I think they're still my favorite version of the Arthurian legend. Just really good storytelling.

Tom

Istar
Huh, I've read an Arthurian retelling called The Winter Prince, by Elizabeth Wein. It's from Mordred's point of view, detailing his complicated relationship with his half-brother Arthur. The style and description are beautiful and elegant--understated, but saying a lot in very few words. And man, the emotional core of this book is strong. It's really moving.

This retelling is also set in post-Roman Britain, and I really love it because it strips away the later Norman/French romanticization of the legends and takes the story back to its Celtic roots. Probably the best Arthurian retelling I've ever read.

Mythopoet

Auror
This retelling is also set in post-Roman Britain, and I really love it because it strips away the later Norman/French romanticization of the legends and takes the story back to its Celtic roots. Probably the best Arthurian retelling I've ever read.

Interesting since Cornwell's does the same thing. His Merlin is VERY Celtic and obsessed with trying to bring back the world that existed before the Romans came.

Butterfly

Auror
Cornwell's is written from the POV of Derfel, one of the lesser known knights... well, warriors in this version.

Merchen

Acolyte
Not really reading anything interesting. I am reading a manga that I am enjoying (well a korean graphic novel) called Jack Frost. Three books into the series. And then I am reading a Paranormal Romance series "The Lords of the Underworld". I am completely enjoying both but they don't really have a heavy fantasy themes.

Blodwedd

Acolyte
I have recently started reading "A Game of Thrones" by George R. R. Martin, and "The Way of Kings" by Brandon Sanderson.

I really like them but somehow they are too 'big' for me, i get some strange vibe that the world is way to wide, it's a little scary.

Reilith

Sage
I recently discovered Brandon Sanderson (shame on me) and right now I am on his second book of Mistborn series: The Well of Ascension. I also have Silmarillion and a Mercedes Lackey book on hold. Oh yeah, and Death Cloud from the Young Sherlock Holmes series.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I'm stuck between books 2 and 3 of Tad Williams' "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" trilogy, which is frustrating. I don't own the third book, can't afford to buy it, and can't find it in my library. :(

Also, in light of Sir Terry Pratchett's death, I'm very much inclined to dig out all my mom's Discworld books from the boxes in our attic and read the series from start to finish, as much as I can. We're missing some of them, which is sad.

I'm reading Ilium by Dan Simmons, a SF take on the Trojan war with a fascinating, rich setting. I don't normally read SF but I loved his short story in Songs of the Dying Earth. I also wanted to make sure there wasn't a major crossover of ideas with the ancient fantasy story I'm writing. Doesn't look like there is yet - phew.

I'm trying to finish Ilium as quick as I can as I'm about the embark on The Stand by Stephen King, which is ENORMOUS. I have some friends who want to read this as a mini-bookclub and I want to be ready for when they start.

Joy

Acolyte
I'm reading Dan Simmons as well but Hyperion. Also, Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky. Needless to say, i'm digging hard into sci-fi lately.

Mythopoet

Auror
I'm reading Ilium by Dan Simmons, a SF take on the Trojan war with a fascinating, rich setting. I don't normally read SF but I loved his short story in Songs of the Dying Earth. I also wanted to make sure there wasn't a major crossover of ideas with the ancient fantasy story I'm writing. Doesn't look like there is yet - phew.

This sounds fascinating. I'll have to pick it up. I also use ancient Greek elements in my fantasy world.

Velka

Sage
I'm halfway through Neil Gaiman's newest release of short stories and poetry, Trigger Warning, and I never want it to end.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I'm rereading the Tiffany Aching quartet of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. Finished "A Hat Full of Sky" over the weekend, and I might start "Wintersmith" tonight.

Incanus

Auror
Ah, Ireth, you need to seek out To Green Angel Tower, in any form you can find it.

And remember: Beware the False Messenger!

Can't wait for you to find out just what that means. Very cool.

I've been reading a goodly variety of shorts (and novellas). I have to say my mind was pretty well blown by Lord Dunsany's Gods of Pegana and Time and the Gods. I would highly recommend these to anyone contemplating, or working on, a pantheon of gods of their own. Amazingly wild and imaginative stuff from what appears to be a very upright, stiff-lipped, colonial Brittish guy.

Mythopoet

Auror
I've been reading a goodly variety of shorts (and novellas). I have to say my mind was pretty well blown by Lord Dunsany's Gods of Pegana and Time and the Gods. I would highly recommend these to anyone contemplating, or working on, a pantheon of gods of their own. Amazingly wild and imaginative stuff from what appears to be a very upright, stiff-lipped, colonial Brittish guy.

Yes!! Reading Dunsany changed me as a reader and a writer forever. Very few writers have had an imagination like Dunsany.