• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

Russ

Istar
And if you like Gaiman (like I do)...remember you have Moorcock to blame (or thank):

Dear Mike,

I started reading your work thirty years ago. I was nine, and the book was Stormbringer.

At the time it was a little like having the top of my head ripped off and magnificent multicoloured ideas poured in.

I read everything I could find you'd written as it was published-several feet of books rapidly appearing on my bookshelves over the next couple of years. I even read everything I could find by people you mentioned, discovering authors like Mervyn Peake in the process.

I took it for granted that a good author could and should be able to write anything and write anything well in any genre or way, and bend and break genres and rules at will-after all, you did it.

Looking back now, the things that stick are the strange ones that don't fit, from the Sex Pistols' novel-newspaper (Irene Handl as Mrs Cornelius?) to the mysterious newspaper-wrapped packages of The Chinese Agent…
You've been an inspiration. Or to put it another way, I'm probably mostly your fault.

It's good finally to have someone to blame-

Neil Gaiman

Mythopoet

Auror
I just reread I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett because it was the only one in the Tiffany Aching series I hadn't reread on kindle yet. I confirmed that this is definitely my least favorite of the series. I think, unfortunately, that Tiffany gets less sympathetic as she gets older.

Now I'm reading She by H. Rider Haggard. This is the first book I've read by him and so far it's very interesting.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Jane, Unlimited turned out to be one of the best books I've read so far this year. Well worth the read, and does some interesting and unconventional things with structure that are fun to examine.

C. A. Stanley

Minstrel
I'm currently reading Mario Puzo's stuff. Finished Omerta for the second time, I'm half-way through The Godfather (which is great), and will be starting The Sicilian in a few days. I've taken a welcome break from reading fantasy; I often have these brief phases of reading alternative genres, and I must say I enjoy them a lot.

Aurora

Sage
Submerged by Cheryl Kaye Tardif. I'm not normally a thriller reader but Children of the Fog was excellent. This one has a great premise thus far.

Mythopoet

Auror
I'm looking for something new to read. I like fantasy and chaste romance and a bit of 'soft' sci-fi here and there. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, it's very hard to think of fantasy books with chaste romance. I tend to get my fix for that from manga, but I don't know if you're interested in manga at all. If you are (or would be willing to give it a try) some series that are available in English that are really excellent are Yona of the Dawn (ongoing), Dawn of the Arcana (finished) and From Far Away (finished).

Incanus

Auror
Finishing up my re-read of Deadhouse Gates.

Last night I popped into Barnes and Noble and picked up The Witchwood Crown by Tad Williams (just released yesterday). I'm super-very-excited to get going on this--the original series is one of my all-time favs. It's going to be a nice weekend...

While I was at the store I also grabbed Watership Down, because I had recently realized I didn't own a copy, and that's just not right.

^^My favourite manga: RG Veda, Cardcaptor Sakura, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, Claymore, Fruits Basket, Twinkle Stars, Hibiki’s Magic.
I've watched some of the Yona of the Dawn anime, as well, but my favourite anime are: Clannad, Kanon, AIR, Little Busters, and Digimon.

Last edited: