1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

What are you Reading Now?

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by Mythopoet, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Murdered gods? What is this? A bizarre offshoot of Norse mythology? :p

2. Not sure...

3. ^I'm just being silly.

4. Incanus

Incanus Auror

Ha! That's hilarious. "Thews" is REH all the way. I think Steerpike may be right about HPL - "Cyclopean" sure seems to pop up a lot. I'm not sure there's a single word CAS uses with that type of regularity, but "cerements" will do. Or maybe - "Funereal."

I understand what you mean about depressing now--thanks for clarifying. I've now read every existing short story available by CAS, and I'd say his protags don't end up faring well in a good three-quarters of them or so--it's not just Zothique. It's pretty common with HPL as well, I'd say. Probably one of the main reasons neither of them came up with a serial character like Conan--they always need fresh victims to send out to their nefarious deities and necromancers and other entities. With HPL in particular, it's the 'bad-guys' (for lack of a better term) who keep showing up in multiple stories. Fun stuff!

5. I am looking for more good fantasy books, preferably with some sort of well-written romance.

6. fiera43

fiera43 Scribe

Just got one of Laurel K. Hamilton's books from both the Anita Blake series and her Fairy princess' series and 2 books by Niel Gaiman.

7. ^Ooh, I like Neil Gaiman's books, some of them.

8. Which ones? I've heard a lot about the guy but I don't know where best to start.

9. I'd suggest The Graveyard Book, then potentially American Gods and Neverwhere if they seem like your kind of books.

DragonOfTheAerie likes this.
  10. fiera43

fiera43 Scribe

Grabbed Neverwhere by him and something else, not American Gods. I love reading so I will try most Authors Haven't started his stuff yet.

11. Russ

Russ Istar

And if you like Gaiman (like I do)...remember you have Moorcock to blame (or thank):

DragonOfTheAerie and Steerpike like this.
  12. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Moorcock is great. And a nice shout out to Mervyn Peake, who was brilliant.

Russ likes this.
  13. C. A. Stanley

C. A. Stanley Minstrel

And Anansi Boys

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

14. Steerpike

Coraline too.

15. ^Yes, definitely. Oh, and Stardust, of course.

DragonOfTheAerie and Steerpike like this.
  16. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

Finally starting The Freedom Broker, not a fantasy, modern thriller. So far, so good.

17. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

I just reread I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett because it was the only one in the Tiffany Aching series I hadn't reread on kindle yet. I confirmed that this is definitely my least favorite of the series. I think, unfortunately, that Tiffany gets less sympathetic as she gets older.

Now I'm reading She by H. Rider Haggard. This is the first book I've read by him and so far it's very interesting.

18. Steerpike

Jane, Unlimited turned out to be one of the best books I've read so far this year. Well worth the read, and does some interesting and unconventional things with structure that are fun to examine.

C. A. Stanley likes this.
  19. C. A. Stanley

C. A. Stanley Minstrel

I haven't read that one. What's the book like?

20. C. A. Stanley

C. A. Stanley Minstrel

I'm currently reading Mario Puzo's stuff. Finished Omerta for the second time, I'm half-way through The Godfather (which is great), and will be starting The Sicilian in a few days. I've taken a welcome break from reading fantasy; I often have these brief phases of reading alternative genres, and I must say I enjoy them a lot.