1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

What are you Reading Now?

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by Mythopoet, Dec 12, 2013.

1. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

[Sidenote: I have the same trouble with Burroughs as I had with Haggard. Oddly, it bothered me less with Howard.]

I've started reading The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley. He writes well, but I have read about twenty novels too many that are about the young hero learning magic or blade craft or assassination or whatever his/her skill is going to be. It has to rank right up there with the farm boy trope, and I'm pretty well done with it.

2. Guess who should be asleep, but is instead sitting here licking a juice pop, bookhungover after finishing the Lord of the Rings?

Aurora likes this.
  3. ^Are you going to read The Silmarillion next?

4. I think so :D

TheCrystallineEntity likes this.
  5. ^My favourite parts are 'Of Thingol and Melian', and 'The Tale of Beren and Luthien'.

6. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

Just be aware that it's a vastly different experience than reading LOTR. More like reading an old saga. (Including lots of genealogical info until you can't remember anyone's name anymore.) LOTR is a novel but The Sil is really more of a collected mythology.

That said, I absolutely ADORE it. The Sil is by far my favorite of Tolkien's works. But then I'm also a mythology lover like Tolkien was. And I'm just generally good at remembering names. Every once in a while I quiz my husband on the names of the 7 sons of Feanor and (jokingly) threaten to divorce him if he can't get them right. He almost never can, even though he was a Tolkien fanatic much earlier than I was. (P. S. They're Maedhros, Maglor, Celegorm, Curufin, Caranthir, Amrod and Amras. And no, I didn't look it up.)

7. ^I only remembered one of them!
    I once accidentally boasted in English class in Grade 11 that I often read it to myself as a bedtime story [--which I totally do, but no one knew what I was talking about.]

8. Names? oh dear. I may be in trouble then...

9. ^At least there's an index/glossary thing at the back.

10. Yay for indexes.

11. ^Christopher Tolkien specifically made the index/glossary just for the readers' sake when he was compiling the stories into one volume after Prf. Tolkien's death.

12. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Interestingly, Guy Gavriel Kay helped Christopher Tolkien edit it.

13. Addison

Addison Auror

If anyone is near Jordan Landing Barnes and Noble I just heard that Brandon Sanderson left a bunch of signed copies there. Including hardcovers. Didn't say which book(s) but if you know his work then it doesn't matter. Hurry!

14. RogueAngel

RogueAngel New Member

Okay, (taking deep fortifying breath) I've only just signed up here, and I'm probably with this response going to completely obliterate my street cred. I've seen some say that they don't care for YA novels, and most of what is listed here seems like pretty Serious Reading.

But I used to be a YA librarian, and I have a real love for the books. YA Fantasy was how I got so many reluctant readers to pick up books. So, despite no longer working with teens, I still find myself reading "their" books.

And right now, I have been sucked AGAIN into A.G. Howard's delightfully imaginative take on Alice in Wonderland. Her Splintered series is just...fun. Sure, it's not deep or serious, but it is a very pleasant way for me to pass a few days. It's sort of my "brain vacation" time, not that I view it as throwaway fluff. Far from it. I think this is my fourth or fifth time reading the series (there's four books) in two years.

Lest you think I am a Reader of Little Substance, next on my list is a reread of Harry Dresden, and I recently read Cassandra A. Clarke's The Mad Scientist's Daughter which was wonderful.

Steerpike likes this.
  15. Steerpike

@RogueAngel : there is a lot of great YA work out there, often doing more interesting things that adult novels are doing, which seem to me on the whole to be more conservative in terms of approach. Jane Unlimited, by Kristin Cashore is already one of the best books I've read this year. Have you read Code Name Verity?

When I talk to people who have misconceptions about YA, it's because they've looked at Twilight, House of Night, or a handful of other YA/Teen paranormal romance-style works and concluded that's representative of everything that's out there for the age group.

16. There is plenty of awesome, well-written YA out there. I think you should try Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo.

Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin is also a fantastic YA.

17. I've noticed this too. YA seems to be more adventurous and genre-bending very often. Part of why I find many adult novels hard to interest myself in is that they seem, well, as you said, conservative. In their concepts, their ideas, etc.

Steerpike likes this.
  18. Steerpike

Not sure why that's the case, but it appears to be. Maybe younger readers are perceived as being more open to experimentation with things like narrative structure, genre-bending, and the like.

19. I think it's just that the YA label is unifying. YA books are more defined by their YA-ness than their genre, so crossing genres is easier.

As someone who loves weird and unique books, I like this about YA.

Steerpike likes this.
  20. Steerpike

Good point. It's a lot easier when the publisher knows the books are simply going to be shelved/sold by age group and not by a category like "Fantasy" versus "Mystery," or what have you.