1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

What are you Reading Now?

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by Mythopoet, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Aurora

Aurora Sage

Can anyone recommend fantasy novels with dragons? I like medieval style, too. If anyone has recommendations that would be sweet.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Last one I recall reading was Seraphina, by Rachel Hartmann. I liked that one.

Aurora likes this.
  3. A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan is not as much about dragons as the journey of a female scientist in a patriarchal world, but I liked it. It's a great book, very well written.

The Temeraire books are fluffy but great. Or at least the first one is...about to start the second!

^^Both of the above aren't medieval style; the first is a Victorian type of novel and the second is an alternate Earth in the time of Napoleon.

Dragon books are surprisingly hard to find given the popularity of dragons. O_O

I second Steerpike's recommendation of Seraphina as well with the disclaimer that it may be boring in places. I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads as opposed to the 4 i gave to the above two. (Five star reads are very rare for me.)

4. Some of the best dragon books i've read have been middle grade novels. A notable one was the Dragon Slippers trilogy by Jessica Day George (I just liked her take on dragons); another was Iron Hearted Violet by Kelly Barnhill. Yes, they're targeted to an 8-12 kind of age group, but they are perfectly good stories that I found entertaining, and that I think an adult could find some way to appreciate.

Aurora likes this.
  5. Aurora

Aurora Sage

Yikes! A bit too much on the young end for me but thanks!

I've heard of Seraphina before (recommended by a friend's mama). Haven't investigated it just yet will give a look though.

6. ^I have Seraphina, and the sequel, Shadow Scale, and I liked both of them fairly well.

Aurora likes this.
  7. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

My favorite dragon will always be the one from A Wizard of Earthsea. (I think she kind of ruined them later in the series though.)

Aurora likes this.
  8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Oh I should also mention Dragon Weather, by Lawrence Watt-Evans. That one was fun, and is loaded with dragons.

Aurora likes this.
  9. My favourite dragon book [if it can even be called that] is Tehanu, with possibly Seraphina as #2, though I don't have many dragon books.

10. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Auror

I would say that both A Song of Ice and Fire and the Dragon Lance series are pretty good and has dragons in them, and are medieval to that.

If you want more dragon-heavy political stories but which are more like history than novels, then check out "The Rogue Prince" and "The Princess and the Queen" by GRRM, set in Westeros but at an earlier date from the Asoiaf series.

11. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Myth Weaver

I'm surprised that no-one up to now has mentioned Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett.
    That has now been remedied.

Aurora likes this.
  12. Oh, and there's the Enchanted Forest Chronicles. Hilarious, and with genuinely intelligent dragons AND [well, A] princess!

Aurora likes this.
  13. Aurora

Aurora Sage

Ah! Yes on Terry Pratchett!

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. I have a decent list to start on!

14. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

I thought about it, but I don't really think it was a very interesting dragon. Everything else around the dragon is great, but the dragon is rather boring.

15. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Myth Weaver

I really like the Dragon. It remains feeling alien but also driven by very believable needs...
    And then there is Errol! Ah, what love can do to a Guy's insides :p

16. Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, RG Veda, and Chobits.

17. TheCatholicCrow

TheCatholicCrow Inkling

I've been getting terrible headaches when I read for more than half an hour (stupid eye appointment is still a week away) so atm I'm trying to save my vision for super important things (like reading this forum ;) ) ... so I'm stuck with whatever audiobooks the library has online. ATM that means John Grisham's The Litigators which I'm finding more amusing than I anticipated ... I'm in the queue for some Rick Riordan though.

18. Russ

Russ Istar

So I am reading my first YAish book since I was a YA. It is called The Lost Property Office and so far I am enjoying it immensely. It is well written, and I am fond of the main characters. A nice fantasy novel and the cover is awesome.

19. Noxius

Noxius Dreamer

"On Writing" from stephen king. People were right when they said eery writer should read it.

20. La Volpe

La Volpe Sage

I am shocked that no one has mentioned Anne McCaffrey's Pern series. Though not exactly medieval style (though somewhat, maybe?), it is the first books I think of when someone says "dragons".