• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

Gurkhal

Auror
Can anyone recommend fantasy novels with dragons? I like medieval style, too. If anyone has recommendations that would be sweet.

I would say that both A Song of Ice and Fire and the Dragon Lance series are pretty good and has dragons in them, and are medieval to that.

If you want more dragon-heavy political stories but which are more like history than novels, then check out "The Rogue Prince" and "The Princess and the Queen" by GRRM, set in Westeros but at an earlier date from the Asoiaf series.

Mythopoet

Auror
I'm surprised that no-one up to now has mentioned Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett.
That has now been remedied.

I thought about it, but I don't really think it was a very interesting dragon. Everything else around the dragon is great, but the dragon is rather boring.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I thought about it, but I don't really think it was a very interesting dragon. Everything else around the dragon is great, but the dragon is rather boring.
I really like the Dragon. It remains feeling alien but also driven by very believable needs...
And then there is Errol! Ah, what love can do to a Guy's insides :p

I've been getting terrible headaches when I read for more than half an hour (stupid eye appointment is still a week away) so atm I'm trying to save my vision for super important things (like reading this forum ;) ) ... so I'm stuck with whatever audiobooks the library has online. ATM that means John Grisham's The Litigators which I'm finding more amusing than I anticipated ... I'm in the queue for some Rick Riordan though.

Russ

Istar
So I am reading my first YAish book since I was a YA. It is called The Lost Property Office and so far I am enjoying it immensely. It is well written, and I am fond of the main characters. A nice fantasy novel and the cover is awesome.

La Volpe

Sage
Can anyone recommend fantasy novels with dragons? I like medieval style, too. If anyone has recommendations that would be sweet.

I am shocked that no one has mentioned Anne McCaffrey's Pern series. Though not exactly medieval style (though somewhat, maybe?), it is the first books I think of when someone says "dragons".

Mythopoet

Auror
I finished Strange the Dreamer a couple days ago. Overall, it was a pretty good book. But there were some things that bugged me. The aforementioned crappy monks and the fact that you can't tell it's not a standalone book until you get to the end and it's all "surprise! the story doesn't end here!" But also just so much description of kissing. There's zero romance until you get more than halfway through and then suddenly she's devoting pages and pages to the two MCs kissing and being all lovey-dovey. And just... that's not what I was reading for. The romance itself was fine but the sheer amount of time spent describing feelings and such became really tedious.

I'm now reading The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley. I picked up that and The Hero and the Crown pretty cheap on amazon. This is the first book by McKinley I have read. The writing is a bit clunky. But so far it's ok.

I finished Strange the Dreamer a couple days ago. Overall, it was a pretty good book. But there were some things that bugged me. The aforementioned crappy monks and the fact that you can't tell it's not a standalone book until you get to the end and it's all "surprise! the story doesn't end here!" But also just so much description of kissing. There's zero romance until you get more than halfway through and then suddenly she's devoting pages and pages to the two MCs kissing and being all lovey-dovey. And just... that's not what I was reading for. The romance itself was fine but the sheer amount of time spent describing feelings and such became really tedious.

I'm now reading The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley. I picked up that and The Hero and the Crown pretty cheap on amazon. This is the first book by McKinley I have read. The writing is a bit clunky. But so far it's ok.

Uh oh. Excessive romance can be a bit of a turn off for me...guess i'm still finishing the book though.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Robin McKinley--I think The Blue Sword shows some signs of being an early novel. On the other hand, books like Sunshine and Deerskin are excellent.

Nimue

Auror
Robin McKinley--I think The Blue Sword shows some signs of being an early novel. On the other hand, books like Sunshine and Deerskin are excellent.

Agreed--although I have an immense amount of nostalgia for The Blue Sword, as it was one of my first fantasy loves. I'd also recommend Rose Daughter. Not for everyone, very slow and fairytale, but definitely for me. Chalice too, one of her more recent novels, although it's short. I've always had a serious crush on Robin McKinley's writing.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Agreed--although I have an immense amount of nostalgia for The Blue Sword, as it was one of my first fantasy loves. I'd also recommend Rose Daughter. Not for everyone, very slow and fairytale, but definitely for me. Chalice too, one of her more recent novels, although it's short. I've always had a serious crush on Robin McKinley's writing.

I liked the Blue Sword as well. I can tell it is an earlier work when compared to what she has done since then, but it is still a good book.