• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What do you listen to?

acapes

Sage
Moondog, blind composer who used to busk on the streets of new York - love the whole album but this piece if one of the more distinctive ones:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hi everyone!

I just found this video, which is a collection of beautiful soundtracks from movies and games. I think the selection is very nice, and it can be highly inspiring for all of us as Fantasy storytellers.

[video=youtube_share;kU9WgD3jZIc]http://youtu.be/kU9WgD3jZIc[/video]

The first is from one of my favorite Fantasy movies, but there are also some soundtracks from Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty and V for Vendetta.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
My favorite NES game, Street Fighter 2010, was not very popular. It was hard finding anyone who could perform music from that game… on an instrument. Click play at your own risk.
Oh yeah. This is a fantasy site. So, um… another guy did the same thing with Zelda. Which is a fantasy game.

Addison

Auror
I recently discovered "Fall Out Boys". I give credit to Big Hero 6 and their song "Immortal". I usually don't like rock music but these songs are good, extra credit given because not every song is based around girls, booze, or related subjects nor is the song in ear-splitting screeching guitar and you can actually hear the lyrics. Actual words!
"Immortals", "Centuries", and "Phoenix....or Firebird" are my top three.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Today I'm all about bone-chilling, ambient soundscapes - like this:

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello everyone!

I have been obsessed with this song ever since 2003, when I found a CD that contained the soundtrack of the Great Expectations movie from 1998. Back in those years I was starting to explore this city and its forests, enjoying a cool job and getting used to my new life, many good memories indeed...

Do you have a song that sends you back in time as well?

I used to listen to it over and over again at night, having some wine and enjoying the candlelight in my room. This is Walk This Earth Alone by Lauren Christy:

[video=youtube_share;2mcSsZek0no]http://youtu.be/2mcSsZek0no[/video]

I hope you'll like it!

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Istar
My current obsession favorite song is The Nights by Avicii.

I like the sound of electric dance music, but don't enjoy most songs in the genre because they often have very superficial lyrics. I need lyrics that have a deeper meaning that I can think about. This song strikes the right balance between introspective lyrics and fun dance music.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Today I was playing with Youtube when I have discovered an excellent video all by accident, you know, one of those happy incidents that you were not expecting at all and then it totally makes your day...

One of my favorite songs ever is The Phantom of the Opera and this is an instrumental version of it, played by the talented Lindsey Stirling and other musicians:

[video=youtube_share;TCL94-MsxYc]http://youtu.be/TCL94-MsxYc[/video]

I love especially the scenes when she is playing her violin in the snowy scenery, and her cloak... Now I want to have a cloak just like that!

Just incredible =)

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Istar
Today I was wondering what Owl City's song "Fireflies" is really about.

Because of the lines that go "I'd like to make myself believe/that planet earth turns slowly", and the theme of sleep woven throughout the song, I've always thought of it as being about the fear of death. The song sounds happy, but it always makes me feel sad when I listen to it, so I guess it struck a chord with me; I've always had a rather strange and deep-seated fear of death.

But today, I got to thinking about it and had to reevaluate my interpretation of the song. Now I think that maybe it's about the fear of losing the wonder and innocence of childhood, since he sings about fantastical things like fireflies teaching him how to fly. Kids are fascinated by fireflies, and a jar of fireflies has somewhat become a symbol of childhood in our culture. The lines about "it's hard to say I'd rather be awake when I'm asleep" seem to suggest not wanting to wake up into the reality of adulthood. He also sings about not wanting to say goodbye to the fireflies, which could be interpreted the same way.

Yep, I think I might have figured out the song.

Take a listen. What do you guys think?