• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What do you listen to?

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Currently listening to Duke Ellington and specifically one with one of my favorite song titles:
East St Louis Toodle-oo

(honorable mention to Grateful Dead's Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodle-oo)

GracefulBlue

Acolyte
I also listen to a variety of things. Current obsessions include Cosmo Sheldrake (stirs my imagination with his creative lyrics and rhythms), and The Arcadian Wild (relatable themes, pretty voices.) If I need to get in the zone, typically a good ol sea chanty will help. Santiana by the Longest Johns is a good one for that.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Two years later, and I still have the same answer:

I find that the stuff I listen to is not really the most exciting. When I need to be in my writing place, the stuff I put on is mostly to block out the rest of the world and keep me from distractions....so, I tend to listen to stuff on a loop, over and over again, so that even it plays and I am not really paying attention to it. Been a long time since I had a real writing spot. Maybe if I had one, I would have a better play list.

What do you listen to then pmmg?

I’m a music lover, maybe an audiophile, and have huge lists of music I love to listen to. Some is great to work to. Anything by Bonobo especially the older stuff. And recently I’ve found Blue Turtle on YouTube and I’ve saved a few of his playlists on Spotify to listen to when I’m writing or thinking about my writing.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
What do you listen to then pmmg?

I’m a music lover, maybe an audiophile, and have huge lists of music I love to listen to. Some is great to work to. Anything by Bonobo especially the older stuff. And recently I’ve found Blue Turtle on YouTube and I’ve saved a few of his playlists on Spotify to listen to when I’m writing or thinking about my writing.

Since music is so personal, it feels weird to list out such in public, but...you asked.

Most of what I listen to is songs I picked out that match somewhat as what might be theme songs for my characters. So, these are not songs I would expect any to appreciate the way I do. Further, I tend to go past the initial song, and go on youtube and see if I can find one who sings it better, or in a way I appreciate more. So, if I said, I like Nichole Cross, I think everyone would go 'who?' Or if I said, I like Holly Henry singing Seven Nation Army, people would be like...but Seven Nation Army is white stripes, who is Holly Henry?

I also like obscure stuff. I have every Kate Bush album, but not many like her screechy loopy singing style.

My favorite type of music is ballad type stuff, where the singer can really belt it out. Amy Lee, and Christine Aguilera are/were good for that. Bonus if it connects to something I am feeling, or want to emote to. Adelle was another. I find I like Billie Eilish, when I hear her in movie soundtracks, but I've not gone further than that.

I dont like things that are just instruments crashing, and making noise, or trying to sound demonic, like so many who post in this thread put up. I cannot understand why so many find that enjoyable, but they do.

Since I started playing Guitar, my appreciation of music has grown greatly. I cannot get enough of how awesome Led Zeppelin is/was. They blow me away with their talent. I like many others, but I dont think any can touch them. I like Nirvana, and Lynard Skynard. But I play a lot of songs. Mostly old folk, like Country Roads, and Old Man, This land is my land. I like the seventies. I play some of a lot of people, like Stairway, Turn the page, Hotel California, and Sweet Home Alabama (--somewhat okay ;)), and more recent stuff like Nirvana, Imagine Dragons, and just about any thing that sound cool enough for me to want to learn.

My current playlist includes:

Gangsters Paradise by a cover artist for the MC character.
Possession by Sarah McLaughlin for another.
No body is on No bodies side from Chess, for one Princess
No time to die by many cover artists, as a standby moody sad one.
The sound track to Prey for when the words bother me. My story is Jungle and native -ish.
Sound track to King Arthur (Keira Knightly one) when not in the jungle scenes
Lately Halsey's Castle, cause it fits the events around the MC, and the one of the side characters.

Usually, I pick one or two, and play them endlessly in a loop. Till I dont really hear the words any more.

When I am not writing, 70's rock is usually what I like most.

BearBear

Archmage
I like music from all over the map. I generally like one or two from an artist and nothing else from them. I loved dubstep back in the day, working out like a maniac and pumping to those sick beats, that was my music for sure. Then it became EDM and blah. I wouldn't say I even have one on my top 100 playlist now. There's no way to describe it in terms of genre or style since it's a little bit of everything. Each song reminds me strongly of the time I spent listening to it, so it's hard to listen to some songs that I liked when I was depressed or when I was top gun. Since I'm really not either anymore and that's fine with me, I default to the studying girl when I don't feel like remembering anything.

Well, Led Zeppelin are my all time favourite. They just always take me to another world, and what really gets me is that they never released a single. A band that sings about Valhalla and Mordor can’t really go too far wrong? But also, That’s the Way and Ramble On always get me. And Kate Bush is a genius. Cloud Busting is one of my faves of hers.