• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What would you call this?

I'm trying to find a word for what my character wears. His clothing is made from animal hide like bear. The clothing is supposed to be primitive and the only thing that I can think of that looks similar to what i see in my mind would be Forsworn Armor (male) from Skyrim.

What would you call that kind "clothing?" Here's how my sentence is written right now...

He wore no armor, just (a) _________ made from bear hide.

And if anyone has any good links for more info on this kind of clothing let me know (random question I realize but i'm just trying to get more info on it since I know next to nothing about it. Just want to have a better idea of how it's made and stuff like that)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I'd probably just refer to it as a shirt made from bear hide, or a coat. Whichever is more accurate.

Saigonnus

Auror
A tunic is generally light, regular fabric like linen or wool depending on the climate and availability in the region. A doublet or Jerkin are heavier, more like a jacket than a shirt used generally in the cooler climates. Doublets were often decorated with embroidery, moreso in the upperclass society. A surcoat is long, likely knee or ankle length and was often worn over chain mail. A tabard is basically a cut sheet of cloth that hangs down the front and back (think of the three musketeers) and was typically only used as part of an official uniform.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
If you are looking for garment names, I would think jerkin would be best to describe the top. If you are looking at a top and matching skirt thing like the picture, I would probably call it an ensemble. You may have to go into details here like: He pulled on the lower jaw of his bearskin cowl, lifting it over his head, then brushed at the mud that splattered on his naked legs and his fur (kilt, skirt, sarong, the garment draped from his waist to his knees). His fur and leather jerkin, held closed at the front with laces of sinew...

Hope that gives you some stuff to start with. There's nothing wrong with having to describe a garment in detail, just make sure you are clear if it is important for you to get the point across to a reader. Otherwise, let him dress in bear furs and leather, and let them imagine how it looks. Best wishes!

If you are looking for garment names, I would think jerkin would be best to describe the top. If you are looking at a top and matching skirt thing like the picture, I would probably call it an ensemble. You may have to go into details here like: He pulled on the lower jaw of his bearskin cowl, lifting it over his head, then brushed at the mud that splattered on his naked legs and his fur (kilt, skirt, sarong, the garment draped from his waist to his knees). His fur and leather jerkin, held closed at the front with laces of sinew...

Hope that gives you some stuff to start with. There's nothing wrong with having to describe a garment in detail, just make sure you are clear if it is important for you to get the point across to a reader. Otherwise, let him dress in bear furs and leather, and let them imagine how it looks. Best wishes!

Thanks! This did help. It felt funny using a Skyrim reference but it was the only thing I could find that closely resembled what I imagined. I also might use kilt as you suggested. Thanks again and goodnight! :D

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
the picture is actually separate garments, a skirt and top. You can see the man's midsection if you look closely.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I'm not trying to sound anal, but I closely examine photos and portraits all the time to determine garment construction, and this is most definitely two pieces. That being said, however, you could change the ensemble to fit your personal needs, and if he would be wearing a massive cloak or a tunic or whatever, you could use whatever word is appropriate.

I think if the look you are going for is Stone Age (before surcoats, gowns, pelicons, existed) then I think describing the garment as it looks and with appropriately crude design features works best.

I'm not trying to sound anal, but I closely examine photos and portraits all the time to determine garment construction, and this is most definitely two pieces. That being said, however, you could change the ensemble to fit your personal needs, and if he would be wearing a massive cloak or a tunic or whatever, you could use whatever word is appropriate.

I think if the look you are going for is Stone Age (before surcoats, gowns, pelicons, existed) then I think describing the garment as it looks and with appropriately crude design features works best.

Hmmm, ok. I guess sort of like how you did in your example. you didn't just say, "he wore a ___" you had to go into detail to describe exactly what he was wearing because there isn't really a simple defined word for it.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Time period plays a role here. Not to pick on anyone's suggestions for garment names, but certain garments were only worn for certain periods, and also, the word and garment changed over time for several of them. For example, a bodice used to be a top of a dress, and was a separate piece, now it is a general term used for the part of a dress above the skirt, without regard to what shape it is or whatever.

It would be inconsistent if you said for example: "He pulled taught the leather thong tying closed his crude leather and fur doublet...

Because by its very nature, a doublet is a tailored garment. It was made by a tailor who probably only made doublets, and it was well-fitted on its first owner (in the case of it being passed on to a servant, it might not have fit so well). So I think if you choose the wrong word, you are doing yourself a disservice. I'd be put off by a crudely constructed garment of hides with fur left on being called any of the garment names we have listed so far. It just needs to be described. incidentally, how is it constructed? You could look up Stone Age clothing if you needed to. Actually the Germanic people from the Bronze Age were using linen (I think, don't quote me) and made some pretty sophisticated garments...

Lawfire

Sage
He wore no armor, just (a) _________ made from bear hide.

How important is it that the reader pictures the garment exactly like those you linked to? You could use a more generalized term and let the reader picture what he or she takes from it.

Using your sentence: "He wore no armor, just bear hides."

Hi,

How about just calling it a cloak. Or even better, he wore a bear hide. Leave it completely up to the reader to envision. By the way if you want to see some awesome hide armour, check out the frenzied berserkers from Neverwinter Nights two. Pretty damned cool.

Cheers, Greg.

Zophos

Minstrel
I'd call it a Hide Cuirass or Hauberk (maybe Aketon). Generally a Cuirass is an outer garment and this would be a very rudimentary one. The Hauberk or Aketon are more akin to armour padding, but I'd search the roots of those words for something that might be more fitting to describe what you're after.

The Skyrim version could've also been hide (outer layer of fur and hide) over cuir-bouilli (leather which has been boiled in oil and molded into the desired shape which hardens upon drying).