• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Mythic Scribes Reading Group

GeekDavid

Auror
We all know that authors of all genres say reading a lot is important to being a good writer.

In order to encourage that, I'd like to suggest a Mythic Scribes Reading Group.

Each month the members of the group will read the same book and discuss it the following month. Simple, no?

I'm also thinking the books will be nominated and voted on by the group members, and each month will have a different theme (epic fantasy, superhero, urban fantasy, cyberpunk, etc).

What does everyone think?

JRFLynn

Sage
Sounds great, I really need to catch up on reading...that's something I've neglected for years. I like the idea of going into different themes as well. Count me in.

Sparkie

Auror
I seem to remember toying with this idea a couple of years ago with some members. One guy in particular was starting a thread pretty much every time he began reading a book and was posting thoughts and comments on his way through it. It was fun, so we considered creating an informal sort of 'book club.' Didn't pan out, though...

I like your idea, GeekDavid. I'm assuming these discussions would contain big-time spoilers, no? That could be cool, but we'd need to post alerts for that kind of thing.

GeekDavid

Auror
I seem to remember toying with this idea a couple of years ago with some members. One guy in particular was starting a thread pretty much every time he began reading a book and was posting thoughts and comments on his way through it. It was fun, so we considered creating an informal sort of 'book club.' Didn't pan out, though...

I like your idea, GeekDavid. I'm assuming these discussions would contain big-time spoilers, no? That could be cool, but we'd need to post alerts for that kind of thing.

I was thinking we'd beg The Powers That Be for a sub-forum of our own and post a spoiler warning in the description of the sub-forum.

Quillstine

Troubadour
I AM IN.....I really want to join a book club, but they all spend there days drinking wine and discussing the life changing qualities of titles such as Eat...Pray....Love!

So sign me up Geek......

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Only potential issue I've seen in the past is people not continuing with the chosen book if they don't like it, and the group participation starts to drop off. It is important to get people to commit to reading and finishing a book whether they like it or not.

GeekDavid

Auror
Only potential issue I've seen in the past is people not continuing with the chosen book if they don't like it, and the group participation starts to drop off. It is important to get people to commit to reading and finishing a book whether they like it or not.

That is a concern, as are people saying "I don't want to read that book" from the get-go.I'm pondering ways to balance not forcing people to read stuff they're really not interested in and keeping the group going.

I would honestly rather not have people commenting on something they didn't read or didn't finish reading, that sort of defeats the purpose.

Suggestions?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I don't know. Seems like the best thing to do is get people who are willing to commit. Maybe everyone votes on the book to be read, and every person in the group commits to reading it all the way through and participating in the discussion.

GeekDavid

Auror
I don't know. Seems like the best thing to do is get people who are willing to commit. Maybe everyone votes on the book to be read, and every person in the group commits to reading it all the way through and participating in the discussion.

There's also the fact that, to be honest about it, "life happens." Sometimes things happen that simply don't allow us time to finish a book within a given time frame. We need to make allowances for that, as well.

Quillstine

Troubadour
There surely is no real way to regulate who will and who will not read the titles. To my imagining, the only way to ensure a good amount of continued discussion would be incorporate enough interest into the thread to create a large following. When life gets in the way, or books come up that some are to abhorred by to continue....they can drop off and wait for the next title, leaving in their wake enough interested parties to carry on the discussion. I for one love something with words....so will read any 'ol thing the thread demands of me. Call me a book tramp, I will read all of them!

GeekDavid

Auror
There surely is no real way to regulate who will and who will not read the titles. To my imagining, the only way to ensure a good amount of continued discussion would be incorporate enough interest into the thread to create a large following. When life gets in the way, or books come up that some are to abhorred by to continue....they can drop off and wait for the next title, leaving in their wake enough interested parties to carry on the discussion. I for one love something with words....so will read any 'ol thing the thread demands of me. Call me a book tramp, I will read all of them!

That's kinda my thought too... we don't wanna appear over-regimented, and I don't wanna send Steerpike out with a whip to stand over a member's shoulder declaring "Read, or else!"

Last edited:

buyjupiter

Maester
I'd be interested in participating, but cost is going to be an issue. I can duck in for free on Amazon books, but otherwise I'd probably have to rely on the library, which has been getting more difficult for me lately.

Ophiucha

Auror
Suggestions?

Start with uncontroversial books, things most people around here would be willing to read or already have and can partake in the discussion. Once people are used to the pattern of reading books and chatting, they're more likely to stick with it as the books get more niche. Maybe a page limit? If you don't enjoy a book entirely, it's easier to finish a 500-pager than a 1,200-page book. It limits a few classics in the genre, obviously, but it might keep people reading. Perhaps, also, try to get a good balance of books that are new and books that are old enough to be cheap/free. I know I couldn't afford to buy a new, $20 hardcover every month, so alternating between that and something that's either public domain or readily available in $8 MMP-form will make it easier for everyone to partake every month.

GeekDavid

Auror
Believe me, I understand concerns about cost. I'm hoping that with the members nominating and voting on the books that they'll take cost and availability into consideration (hint, hint).

Ankari

Hero Breaker
I'm in.

A few points. Find out if all members have access to ebooks. I think 80% of the population should. If not an actual Nook or Kindle, then a smartphone with access to this apps (that is how I read my books). This will help with keeping the costs down. Most ebooks run about $8.

As for participation, maybe ask Black Dragon for custom titles our icons. Keep a member roster. Those you participate to the end earn a mark. Earn enough marks and earn the corresponding recognition.