• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

Mytherea

Minstrel
Just finished The Custodian of Marvels by Rod Duncan. It's good, but I forgot so much since I read the first and second books, like, two years ago, so I think it probably works best as a binge-read trilogy (which I might reread someday). Now I'm reading Borderline by Mishell Baker and, so far, I'm enjoying it and Millie's voice. True, I'm only ten pages in, but it's been a good ten pages.

C

Chessie

Right now I'm reading The Pendant: A Novel Of Murder, Vengeance, and Secret Treasure In Medieval Italy. It's a historical adventure romance/Wuthering Heights gothic read and it's got me in a trance. Next in line is Queen Mab, a historical fantasy based on the faerie queen from Romeo & Juliet. There's certainly a theme here.

Mythopoet

Auror
I've been reading The High House by James Stoddard and absolutely LOVING it. I don't know how to explain it without spoiling it. But just... it's awesome.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Just finished Gardens of the Moon. It wasn't bad but it was super jumpy. Next up is Black Prism.

I have not read that, but the title reminded me of a little-known SF story, A Garden on the Moon by Pierre Boulle. It's an elegant little tale about three moon shots that all land about the same time--USA, USSR, and Japan.

Boulle, some of you may know, is the same French spy who wrote Bridge on the River Kwai and Planet of the Apes.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I'm currently reading A Winter Book, which is a collection of short stories by Tove Jansson. I've read and loved all of her children's books, but this is the first time I'm reading anything by her intended for an adult audience.
It's fascinating to recognise things from her children's books in these stories, only just slightly different. I know those children's stories really well and it's fun to see where the inspiration for the characters and situations come from. I also find it very encouraging that her "voice" is almost the same in the short stories as they are in the children's books. :)

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
War of the World: The Anglo-Martian War of 1895
It is not bad. Though it takes a few gentle liberties with the HG Wells story, there nothing that really jars.
Some of the background information [like why there were so few soldiers in SE England] was interesting and detailed enough to be convincing. As as with the character involved...
I'd have liked some [Victorian era] maps of what happened and where but their absence is not a huge loss.

Last edited:

Geo

Troubadour
Just finished "The Southern Reach Trilogy" by Jeff VanderMeer. The books are not only intriguing and hauntingly weird, there are also masterly written. I think that the first one, Annihilation is my favorite, but the third one, Acceptance is brilliant from the very surprising second person narration to the story, just great.

Just finished "The Southern Reach Trilogy" by Jeff VanderMeer. The books are not only intriguing and hauntingly weird, there are also masterly written. I think that the first one, Annihilation is my favorite, but the third one, Acceptance is brilliant from the very surprising second person narration to the story, just great.

I've been thinking of looking into those...What are they like? Are they overly disturbing or anything? I want to read Weird Fiction cuz that's kinda what I'm turning into. :p

I have his book on writing, WonderBook, and I really appreciate the weirdness. :D

I'm reading Ratha's Creature, as a result of my quest to find mature talking animal books. (Because I seek to write one.) It's the story of a prehistoric society of intelligent panther-type cats who herd animals and the main character (Ratha) discovers fire and how to tame and control it, and as a result gets exiled...It's an old book, first published in the 80's I think, and went out of print but was revived.

Anyway. The writing is choppy (sentences too short and not in rhythm) which takes a little getting used to, but I like the story. Also, there are "mating" scenes...like, sex scenes but cats humping each other...and...it's a bit weird.

I read a lot last night, I went to bed early because I was having an anxiety attack of some kind. I do like the book.

Geo

Troubadour
I've been thinking of looking into those...What are they like? Are they overly disturbing or anything? I want to read Weird Fiction cuz that's kinda what I'm turning into. :p

I have his book on writing, WonderBook, and I really appreciate the weirdness. :D

Hi there DragonOfTheAerie,
Weird, yes. Awesome, also. The atmosphere VanderMeer creates is just fantastic. I literally could not put the first book down until I finished it (my students had a very sleep deprived teacher for 3 days) . The second book took me by surprise because the theme continues but is at the same time totally different and the third book is just written with mastery, hard to find other words. It's been long since an author surprises me , and these books have weird and great surprises in every turn of the page. Honestly, if you want to read good fiction speculative that happens to be eerie and weird, this is it.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I can't get into Gardens of the Moon at all, and I've tried several times now. I've made it further in Name of the Wind than Gardens of the Moon, and that's saying something... because I'm not fond of the writing there either.

Both of these are on my list of "force myself to read" books to see if I can figure out why people like them, heh heh. I read the first Mistborn book recently and it was... okay, I get the attraction, but I won't read the rest of the series. I might read Way of Kings to see how Sanderson matured in his writing.

Mythopoet

Auror
I can't get into Gardens of the Moon at all, and I've tried several times now. I've made it further in Name of the Wind than Gardens of the Moon, and that's saying something... because I'm not fond of the writing there either.

Both of these are on my list of "force myself to read" books to see if I can figure out why people like them, heh heh. I read the first Mistborn book recently and it was... okay, I get the attraction, but I won't read the rest of the series. I might read Way of Kings to see how Sanderson matured in his writing.

I managed to finish Gardens of the Moon, but the second book, Deadhouse Gates, totally defeated me. I just could not stand it.

As for Sanderson, I read Elantris, and it was ok. Tried to read The Way of Kings and gave up again in despair. Just not at all a compelling book to me. It's strange because I like a lot of what Sanderson says about writing on the Writing Excuses podcast. But his actual books fail to engage me.

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus

It's a great series, IMO. But you're looking at ten books, some of which push 1200 pages. If you don't like Erikson's writing, may as well read something you like. The series is complicated and doesn't become easier to read.