• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Another Newb

Jezebel

Hi All,
Was doing some research on Medieval Feudal Systems when I happened upon the site. Learned more in a few minutes here than hours spent on many others.

A little about me...
I taught myself to read when I was 4 because I was tired of my mom skipping parts in the stories in order to get me off to bed earlier. I started writing when I was around 10 years old and used it only as a very private, personal joy to get me through tough times in adolescence up through young adulthood. My mom always encouraged me to consider writing for others, but I thought she was maternally bound to say that so I dismissed it year after year. Throughout high school and college, I wrote for a few classes and had teachers begin trying to nurture the writer in me as well.

So here I am, finally doing the most terrifying thing of all and investing the time in a couple of novels I've toyed around with for far too long, attempting to take my writing seriously. I think I'd actually rather slay a dragon...or at least ride one. It seems less scary.

By the looks of it, this site might just provide some insight, inspiration and who knows what else.
Thanks for listening!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Jezebel
I hope you find this a good and safe place to learn and share.
We are an eclectic bunch around here so leap on in when you have half a mind.
As for dragons... tickle one under the chin and two things could happen... you might have found a friend for life or you might find out that they really don't like it... there is no way to tell with out trying...:p

Noma Galway

Archmage
Hi, Jezebel! It's wonderful to meet you. I found Mythic Scribes in the same way (except I was looking for archery) and I love it. I hope you do too!

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Very welcome to Mythic Scribes Jezebel.

It's a bit daunting, the prospect of putting your work out there for others to read and see - bit of an adrenaline kick the first time you press the Submit button to post something you've written.
It gets easier with time though, partly because you get used to it, and partly because you learn to appreciate the feedback you'll get. Yes, some of it will be harsh, but it will be given with good intentions.
It was a bit of a let-down, the first time I posted something here. No one seemed to be as impressed with my writing as I was and then some people started discussing something completely unrelated. It wasn't really what I'd hoped for, but I decided not to let it put me down. I tried the suggestions I got, I learned a little and moved on to the next piece.

I'm still here, I'm still getting better and I'm having a great time. So, settle in, join in the discussions, share your experiences and theories. Have fun. :)

Again, very welcome.

JRFLynn

Sage
Hi Jezebel, nice to meet you! No worries, I also felt rather shy in the beginning, but everyone is nice and encouraging here.

buyjupiter

Maester
So here I am, finally doing the most terrifying thing of all and investing the time in a couple of novels I've toyed around with for far too long, attempting to take my writing seriously. I think I'd actually rather slay a dragon...or at least ride one. It seems less scary.

If you find that nest of dragons, I'll join you in slaying it. :)

You'll find lots of people here with good insights and willing to help brain storm solutions when you're stuck. And I can say from personal experience that just when I think I can't come up with another idea, I'll be chatting with the lovely folks here and getting ideas for whole new worlds.