• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

BearBear

Archmage
Accoding to Machiavelli, if I could apply it to myself as a sovereign nation unto myself, then it would require an individual of supreme power and will who is not corrupted to force it and if they stopped forcing for whatever reason the corruption would return. I believe this to be true and I've achieved much along these lines but the corruption I have in me is slowly being chipped away, so there's hope for another answer, hopefully before it's too late.

The consequences are dire and irreversible otherwise save extremely good luck. Even if I felt it's inevitable, I still don't know if I have the will to stop it. Even given all I've done.

Machiavelli felt that laws do little good when a society was already corrupt and I'd definitely agree with that as a metaphor on individual life.

The notion of a supreme leader with unmatched power is common in Anime. To apply that to myself, I'd have to create a persona like that and give over all power to them.

BearBear

Archmage
Good question. Perhaps there are demons kept at bay by slight lawlessness. I am encouraged that the corruption is contained at least.

I know the source, it's comfort. Comfort, and seeking comfort, is a powerful driver. The ego wants what the ego wants and to completely tame the ego is to destroy it. I would become less than human (or Bear).

BearBear

Archmage
Tragic. Everything would be put asunder. Absolute failure. I don't ignore this, I feel its shadow on me. Do you? I would be more devistated if you were corrupted. Even if my consequences precluded ever being in your presence again.

Aleshe

Troubadour
"You know who" said it best: we'd continue as friends, but it would be a shadow of what is is now.

BearBear

Archmage
There's symmetry in that statement then. It seems appropriate. So my quality of life is slightly higher than it would be but at a high risk. Luckily it's not a monetary thing or I'd be trapped.

Aleshe

Troubadour
I'm not saying you're unique, many deal with traps of addiction, bad relationships, bad jobs, bad decisions, out of control hedonism and ego, and you've avoided many of those. So then who would you be if you were without corruption?

BearBear

Archmage
Oh man... I've been this way for so long, worse even of course and it was torture. I believe I could chip it away further but I don't want to I guess.

Who would I be? Do you think you would love me any differently if I was uncorrupted? (Heh heh, got ya)

I wouldn't be me though I suppose. There's a limit, a standard, a bar that must be set and I have to be comfortable with that without regrets. I feel no rush in getting away with anything anymore, so it comes down to what I want to be. What I'm willing to accept myself to be. If I was un-corrupted then what would I even be? An automaton? Would that drive new corruption? Would that release the hounds of hell but in a way we wouldn't expect? Whereas my righteous mind may judge all without mercy or understanding. We all have flaws and flaws are not all together bad.

In other words, I don't know.

Aleshe

Troubadour
Yes yes, we all love ya and I doubt that would change at all... It would be sad though. Just keep in mind the consequences run deep, so be careful.

BearBear

Archmage
And if you were corrupted... I'd probably lose my mind. Any of the group really. You're all perfect in my eyes.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Isn't this what PM's are for?

I dont know. All I know is the game is won. No reason to post anymore.

BearBear

Archmage
No, this is what this thread is for, and also for winning. PM's are uncomfortable and constraining. I avoid them.