• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Rewilding sounds like an oxymoron. If its wild...shouldn't it kind of show up on its own? Rewild sounds like re-stocked some area.
Rewilding is about recreating specific conditions that were found in our past. And no amount of waiting would ever have reintroduced wild cattle and horses into the Netherlands, as there is no way they'd wander into our country. Same with lynxes in Scotland. You can wait for decades and not a single one will ever cross the Channel.

BearBear

Archmage
There will come a day when all non-human mammals larger than a dog will be extinct, it's theorized by some conservationists that it will happen by mid-late century. These are just estimates though, anything can happen. However, everything must serve the greater good of capitalism which believe it or not has done more to bring developed worlds out of poverty than any other system. Capitalism = plenty, for humans.

Don't even think for a minute that the production machines can ever end, and they have the most potency, historically driven by the gears of capitalism. This includes the machines of war. We'll see how China does in this the greatest of all wars we find ourselves on the brink of. Take a deep breath, enjoy the moment, smell the air free of fuel and munitions and the bitter toxic smoke of the war machines. Morality, environmental policy, equity are all peacetime endeavors, they are not the true nature of man, they are not how we got here in the last great golden age of the lands of plenty. The victors of the last great war will not do so on moral grounds. The winner will do so by any means necessary, sparing no expense, and with no mercy, because on the darkest hour, the true nature of man is revealed as it has been shown countless times in history.

But I will pass along this advice: don't hate the enemy, save all your vitriol and hatred for the war and use all that energy to help it end quickly by any means because nobody wins the war of attrition, those wounds never heal.

Solar eclipse this Saturday!

BearBear

Archmage
"American novelist, poet, essayist, environmental activist, cultural critic, and farmer."

Man I wanna do that. Instead I'm a scientist, inventor, non-fiction writer on the side, with a home business in the entertainment/private service industry. Not that I'm complaining, but I'm sick of city life in general. I like it and don't like it.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I know what it is....

The word means both itself and the opposite at the same time. Wild and not-Wild in one word.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Apparently everyone in Emperor Franz Joseph's court ate the same dinners as he ate, could live with their whole family in the Hofburg free of rent and were essentially guaranteed to keep their job forever no matter how much they slacked off. I vote for more Habsburgs!

That ought to wake this thread up.

Didn’t the Habsburgs basically breed themselves out of power?

I wouldn’t mind spending some time in a Vienna coffeehouse with some cake.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
No, they bred themselves into power. A dynasty built on clever marriages. Sure, occassionally one turned into a Charles II, but Maria Theresia is supposed to have been just as inbred and she turned out fine. The modern Habsburgs are still around and continue to thrive in the world of politics and diplomacy.

Kaiserschmarrn for all !

I started watching The Empress of Netflix a while back about Sisi, but her life was frought with sadness and difficulty I think I’d find it too hard to watch.

I’m guessing you speak German ban?

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
My spoken German is stilted, but I can read it and understand it when others speak it (provided the dialect isn't too thick). Sisi's life indeed was rough. Never accepted in the Austrian court due to her Bavarian sensibilities and assassinated at a young age. Would you recommend the series?

My spoken German is stilted, but I can read it and understand it when others speak it (provided the dialect isn't too thick). Sisi's life indeed was rough. Never accepted in the Austrian court due to her Bavarian sensibilities and assassinated at a young age. Would you recommend the series?
I was enjoying it until I read more about her life. If you already know a lot about her then maybe the drama could be a bit fanciful or far fetched compared to the real story. I watched it with English subtitles because it is in German, all German / Austrian actors.

It’s funny, my grandmother was born in Bavaria, but raised in Austria, but she was Austrian by nationality.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I was enjoying it until I read more about her life. If you already know a lot about her then maybe the drama could be a bit fanciful or far fetched compared to the real story. I watched it with English subtitles because it is in German, all German / Austrian actors.

It’s funny, my grandmother was born in Bavaria, but raised in Austria, but she was Austrian by nationality.
I'll check it out. Growing up the Sissi films from the 1950s were always shown on television around Christmas. Usually on the German channels, but sometimes the Dutch or Belgian. There's a certain grandeur to them. One of the reasons why I associate the German language with Christmas haha.

We have Christmas trees in the UK in part because of Prince Albert, who brought the tradition back from his native Germany. Of course there is the Celtic leftover of Yule, but that’s an separate entity. And I would agree that the Germans know how to do Christmas very well. We get some good German markets here in the cities around Christmas time.

Reactions: Ban

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Indeed, the Christmas markets are the other major reason for the association between German and Christmas I make. The one in Aachen is one I love to frequent, which by extension makes me associate Charlemagne with Christmas. Odd how the mind works. Yule is Nordic though, not Celtic.

Last edited:
I think people associate Yule with the Winter Solstice, and they have sort of become one and all. It has its place firmly on the Wheel of the Year, which in part derives from Celtic tradition.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Right but the Wheel itself is a modern concept. The name and festival called Yule is Nordic. Wiccans and adjacent neopagan traditions might integrate it into their Celtic-derived belief system (though I personally think that link is tenuous), but in itself it is not Celtic.

I do respect these reinterpretations, but in themselves they are distinct.