• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hail and well met!

Fnord

Troubadour
Okay, so the stereotypical fantasy salutation is out of the way. :eek:

Anyway, hello. I'm not a fantasy writer in a professional sense, but I've always fantasized about being a fantasy writer, and took a few swings in my time nonetheless.

About two years ago, I got married and had a little reception here in Omaha and invited some friends from back in PA out for it (I actually graduated with Nathan Lauffer, who showed me this site) and one of my friends brought back an interesting time capsule from middle school; a sketchbook containing some ahem *interesting* comic books I drew and a battered and taped-together three-ring binder that was a fantasy book I hand-wrote in 8th grade. I thumbed through it one evening and looked at all the pictures I drew and the stuff I had written and had that feeling you get when you look at an old yearbook; wistful but a little embarrassing too.

I had taken a lot of cracks at writing before that and since, but this nondescript binder was the only one I ever completed from beginning to end. It was your typical fantasy quest story; a group of bored youths in a small pastoral village who decide to take up with a whimsical traveling merchant type in need of company who get reluctantly embroiled in the twisted plots of an ambitious sorcerer who is trying to call through demonic lords while unwittingly serving as their mortal puppet. Along the way they meet some exotic characters (including befriending a stone golem who through an accident of magic was given sentience and free-will), eventually journey to the cavern fortress of the wizard and (somewhat) foil his plans. It didn't end happily in the typical sense (probably an extension of my view of the world at the time) but it was a lot of fun to write nonetheless.

Since 6th grade, with only a few breaks since, I've been an avid Dungeons & Dragons player, mostly in the Dungeon Master role (I seem to remember once on the school bus while reading the Forgotten Realms Adventures book, Mr. Lauffer enunciating the title of the book in a very distinctive and drawn-out Olde English accent "Fo'go'en reelms" in a way I took as him mocking my habit but have since always pronounced it that way in my head every time I've seen the logo since) and have always enjoyed world-building.

So now, rekindled by reading "Game of Thrones" and needing a creative outlet since being a musician has been largely put on the backburner for more scholarly pursuits, I've decided to seriously ponder taking a crack at writing again, if only for my own pleasure.

And as a good friend of mine says, if you are going to take up a new interest, the best way to go about is to surround yourself with people smarter than you. So here I am.

*waves*

Welcome to the forum, Fnord.:) I tend to lose track of who's new and who isn't, which has led to me ignoring Introductions for a while. Blame the fact that I'm old and easily distracted. Anyway, I've decided to take more interest in my fellow members, starting with you.*

*Those last three words aren't meant to be sinister in any way, though they certainly sound it.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Welcome Fnord!

Nathan and I go back to our high school years as well, albeit in different towns. I graduated from Indiana area around the same time that you guys graduated. We were both heavily involved in the dial up BBS scene. Were you ever a part of that?

In any case it's great having you among us. Have you ever given thought to taking that story which you wrote so long ago, and reworking it? Sure it may be cliche in some ways, but you can always fix that. You never know.

Fnord

Troubadour
Thanks for the welcome!

Black Dragon: I was not involved in anything computer like until I got my first computer in 2002 or so. I'm a johnny-come-lately in that regard. I did go to IUP right out of high school though, so you never know if unwittingly we crossed paths!

I've thought about reworking it, but it's terribly immature writing and storytelling and would probably be a completely different book by the time I did so. I've been thinking about something more in the Robert E. Howard vein--"ancient fantasy" that is nasty and brutish. I have a homebrew D&D world of that sort I've been using for a long time that I'd like to "clean up" and use as the setting for a book. I'm still mulling over exactly what such a plot would entail, though.

Prior to recently my stories were largely just "character backstories" and short stories about those characters that I played on RP servers of MMO games like Neverwinter Nights. There were some interesting characters in there so I might "resurrect" them for the book I would like to write. On top of that, I might try the "plot" out as a solo tabletop game with a player to try out some elements. It might be a fun experiment.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I'm a huge fan of D&D myself. Actually, I've been using characters that I developed for the game in my most recent novel. They already feel alive to me, so it's easy to make them lifelike on the page.

Fnord

Troubadour
I'm a huge fan of D&D myself. Actually, I've been using characters that I developed for the game in my most recent novel. They already feel alive to me, so it's easy to make them lifelike on the page.

Definitely. The whole "feeling alive thing" is spot-on because you've already *lived* through these characters in a way.