• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

It gets kind of Dark.

ascanius

Inkling
I've read an re-read through the thread, thinking about the critiques and advice; sifting through the emotions and I've come to a conclusion.

First let me say that to anyone who felt that I was attacking them in any way rest assured that I wasn't trying to. Second; thanks for the responses, negative critique is better than no critique. Third; after reading through my posts I can see why many of the things portrayed are seen as unnecessarily vile and that is partially my fault, should have done a better job of displaying the scenes.

I have taken some of the advice given here and plan to implement them into the story. Many of the post here really stuck, Penpilots recent one being an example. In a sense I guess I got to see a test run of how certain things in the novel would be recieved if not done carefully and correctly. Thanks to all who participated.

I get that we havn't read the book and you might be a great writer and think you can make this work but........ Do a google search of 120 days of sodom, do you think a book like that would be enjoyable to read while relaxing even if it was written by your favorite author, even if it explored a deep theme or apect of humanity? From what I have read in this thread your right on the line. It's too much, and all those themes you want to explore can by explored without making the reader want to strangle you in disgust.

I'm not saying don't write about those things but I think you need to come at it from a different angle.

Last edited:

SeverinR

Vala
I think Game of Thrones is a mixture of dark and light and every hue in between. You have the elite royalty in the light, their perversions happen the dark slimy underground and you have the dirty scratching to survive moments in the story too.

I agree, the darkness should fit the story, not just something to spice it up, just to be adding something. If it doesn't mix well in the story, it doesn't help and might detract from the story.