• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Myth's Anime Thread

Mythopoet

Auror
Ah. So somewhat recently.

Yes. I started as a more mature viewer and didn't grow up with it the way many did. (I've never seen Dragonball Z or Sailor Moon.) Though I have watched many classics just because I wanted to.

And since then I've watched 158 anime (including movies), comprised of 4,187 episodes or 2 months 6 days 19 hours and 25 minutes of my life. I'm currently watching 14 anime on a regular basis. And there are 274 anime on my list that I want to watch. :)

Yeah I started watching back in the late 80's. I've lost interest over time, so I only watch something every once and awhile.

Mythopoet

Auror
I don't watch any tv other than anime (and very few movies). Haven't for a few years now. Nothing else really appeals to me. Whereas anime is this huge diverse world for me to explore.

Addison

Auror
I've recently started watching Rental Magica. So far I'm liking it. :)

My kid siblings are getting into it and they're asking me to ask questions on their behalf.

My sister heard of an anime coming to Netflix in a few weeks, "Glitter Force". She likes the sound of it (the actual story) but she's worried based on the title art she saw that it might be geared toward a Grade School audience. She's in eighth grade so if Glitter Force is younger-audience then what shows are there like Glitter Force just for a more mature audience?

My brother got into anime courtesy of his buddy. Buddy sends Brother pictures and stills of an episode and sees if it looks good then my brother checks it out. He likes the look of one show but there's no name attached and his friend has the flu. He gave me the pic and is looking for a name.

Okay I can't find where to put a picture from my computer file onto a post. I'll describe as best I can.

The picture has someone (I'm guessing preteen-teen) with blonde hair surrounded and being grabbed by people in big ugly masks. Or a fantasy race or alien that's big and hairy and scary. The masks are majorly long white hair or fur with with cartoony eyes set in red and brown masks.
When I figure out how to get the pic in a post I'll show you.
Thanks guys! Happy Writing.

Last edited:

Mythopoet

Auror
I've recently started watching Rental Magica. So far I'm liking it. :)

My kid siblings are getting into it and they're asking me to ask questions on their behalf.

My sister heard of an anime coming to Netflix in a few weeks, "Glitter Force". She likes the sound of it (the actual story) but she's worried based on the title art she saw that it might be geared toward a Grade School audience. She's in eighth grade so if Glitter Force is younger-audience then what shows are there like Glitter Force just for a more mature audience?

Is your sister a particularly mature 8th grader? I've got a daughter in 7th grade and I think that's the age group this franchise is mostly marketed toward. "Glitter Force" is apparently an English adaptation of Smile PreCure! which is an anime series from the Pretty Cure magical girl franchise, which covers 13 different series and a ton of movies. Of course like most anime, even when it's primarily marketed toward a young audience (preteens in this case, it seems, the characters are usually in 2nd year of Japanese middle school which I think would make them around 13-14) it has a lot of older fans too.

Is it the magical girl aspect or the use of fairy tales that attracts your sister? Of course, there are a lot of magical girl series out there. A more recent one that I really liked was "Yuki Yuna is a Hero", though that's still only in Japanese. A really unique show that is sort of magical girl and also uses a fairy tale aesthetic with characters who study ballet is Princess Tutu. It has a very good English version. It looks childish and silly, but actually it's a fantastic and beautiful series and very highly regarded.

My brother got into anime courtesy of his buddy. Buddy sends Brother pictures and stills of an episode and sees if it looks good then my brother checks it out. He likes the look of one show but there's no name attached and his friend has the flu. He gave me the pic and is looking for a name.

Okay I can't find where to put a picture from my computer file onto a post. I'll describe as best I can.

The picture has someone (I'm guessing preteen-teen) with blonde hair surrounded and being grabbed by people in big ugly masks. Or a fantasy race or alien that's big and hairy and scary. The masks are majorly long white hair or fur with with cartoony eyes set in red and brown masks.
When I figure out how to get the pic in a post I'll show you.
Thanks guys! Happy Writing.

Yeah, I'm afraid I can't tell from that description. Masked characters are incredibly common in anime.

themomodbot

Acolyte
Just gonna post some recommended Anime to watch. A lot of them are old (2008 below) because older Anime tend to have amazing quality in stories, not like Anime nowadays which are (most of them) just beautiful-animation-with-suck-storyline or some cute-girls-doing-cute-things. Sorry no offense, guys, just my opinion.
So here we go:
1. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (everyone knows this is amazing)
2. Death Note
3. Code Geass
4. Cowboy Bebop
5. Mushishi Series
6. Evangelion (Original and the remake)
7. Hunter X Hunter (original and the remake both amazing)
8. Hellsing Ultimate
9. Shin Sekai Yori
10. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan
11. Gintama (you gonna love this Anime)
12. Yu Yu Hakusho
13. Dragon Ball (of course)
14. Slam Dunk (not as good as the Manga, though)
15. All Ghibli movies
16. Hajime no Ippo
17. Clannad series (not include the movies because it suck)
18. Monster
19. Great Teacher Onizuka

Why no One Piece and Naruto? Because the Anime is suck, if you want to know why these titles are one of the best in the world, read the Manga!
That's all I remember now, I'll expand the list later.

I was wrong when I said I hadn't tried Inuyasha yet. I started it this last week only to realize after a few episodes that I'd tried watching it before. And like before, I just couldn't get into it. The character of Inuyasha was interesting, but the rest wasn't so much. Ah well, I'm probably not going to watch any anime for awhile. I just received my copy of One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 for my PS4—got a great holiday deal from Amazon and couldn't resist, so I'll be playing that during my free time. (Also started reading something new last night and will probably end up reading the whole trilogy.)

Gryphos

Auror
I watched the first season of Black Butler recently. It was aight. I liked the relationship between Ciel and Sebastian, but a lot of things niggled at me. Things like inconsistencies in Sebastian's abilities (he could snatch a moving bullet when the gun was held to Ciel's head, but at no point in fights does he ever move that fast again, even when it would be super useful) and just a general lack of explaining things or rushing the explanations of things (I'm still not entirely sure what on earth Angela's plan was, or why she was working as a maid for that hound guy). Overall, I don't think I'll watch the other seasons.

Mythopoet

Auror
I watched the first season of Black Butler recently. It was aight. I liked the relationship between Ciel and Sebastian, but a lot of things niggled at me. Things like inconsistencies in Sebastian's abilities (he could snatch a moving bullet when the gun was held to Ciel's head, but at no point in fights does he ever move that fast again, even when it would be super useful) and just a general lack of explaining things or rushing the explanations of things (I'm still not entirely sure what on earth Angela's plan was, or why she was working as a maid for that hound guy). Overall, I don't think I'll watch the other seasons.

Well, you have to keep in mind that Sebastian is a demon and a totally selfish being. He obeys Ciel because of their contract which he fully expects to get something worth his while out of. But he seldom expends his full power at any point unless it is necessary to fulfill the contract (making sure Ciel doesn't die until his revenge is complete is part of that) or unless Ciel gives orders which require it. If Ciel's orders aren't specific enough, Sebastian often only obeys them to the letter and no further. That's part of his demonic nature.

The characters of Angela and Ashe were anime original characters, that is made up for the anime, as were the storylines they were part of. And yes, I think those parts of the anime were very confusing and unsatisfying. That's why I'm skipping season 2, which is all anime original. But I am going to pick up season 3 which goes back to the manga story and basically starts after the arc with Soma and Agni, which was the last really good part of the anime.

I was wrong when I said I hadn't tried Inuyasha yet. I started it this last week only to realize after a few episodes that I'd tried watching it before. And like before, I just couldn't get into it. The character of Inuyasha was interesting, but the rest wasn't so much. Ah well, I'm probably not going to watch any anime for awhile. I just received my copy of One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 for my PS4–got a great holiday deal from Amazon and couldn't resist, so I'll be playing that during my free time. (Also started reading something new last night and will probably end up reading the whole trilogy.)

Well, not everything is for everyone. :) I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Inuyasha as it was the first anime I watched and introduced me to the whole world of Japanese media. One of these days I'd like to read the manga, which has less filler and a slightly different art style.

teacup

Auror
Just finished Trigun. I liked the characters, it was cool, fun...and that's about it. I thought it would be much better than it was, so when it ended I was very disappointed.

Nothing was even resolved! Knives was left alive with nothing to stop him from continuing his evil plans and nothing about him had changed so we're given no reason to believe he won't continue as soon as he's recovered. Also Meryl's feelings for Vash never went anywhere, all we got was "tell him when he gets back/after the anime ends."
And what was the point of the twist with Wolfwood working for Knives the whole time? It was never revealed to anyone but the viewer and shortly after the reveal he dies anyway, so it had absolutely no impact. If that reveal was cut the show would still be the same. The twist was useless besides making me excited to see what would happen with it, only to find out that absolutely nothing happens with it.

I enjoyed the anime but it wasn't great. I think I'd give it a 5/10.

Gryphos

Auror
I finished Arslan Senki aka The Heroic Legend of Arslan and I liked it very much. The setting is great, drawing heavy influence from the middle east, Arslan himself is a great MC to root for, and some of the fights are great.

It's a shame the finale lacked any real sense of conclusion, because at the moment so many things are still unresolved like...

taking back Ecbatana, defeating Hermes, whatever the hell is going on with Queen Tahemanay (is she going to marry that fat Lusitanian king?). What about whatever the hell Gieve was sent to do.

I'm hoping it gets a season 2 so these plots can be resolved, and if so, I'm eagerly anticipating it.

Also, a side thing, but I find Farangis' design slightly cringe-worthy, it's as though she was drawn by a horny 14-year-old. I mean, I've seen worse, but still. As a character she's still alright.

Mythopoet

Auror
Just finished Trigun. I liked the characters, it was cool, fun...and that's about it. I thought it would be much better than it was, so when it ended I was very disappointed.

Nothing was even resolved! Knives was left alive with nothing to stop him from continuing his evil plans and nothing about him had changed so we're given no reason to believe he won't continue as soon as he's recovered. Also Meryl's feelings for Vash never went anywhere, all we got was "tell him when he gets back/after the anime ends."
And what was the point of the twist with Wolfwood working for Knives the whole time? It was never revealed to anyone but the viewer and shortly after the reveal he dies anyway, so it had absolutely no impact. If that reveal was cut the show would still be the same. The twist was useless besides making me excited to see what would happen with it, only to find out that absolutely nothing happens with it.

I enjoyed the anime but it wasn't great. I think I'd give it a 5/10.

I admit to having a soft spot in my heart for Trigun. It's so stylish and has great worldbuilding and, above all, Vash is one of my favorite characters of all time and all media. But I do agree that the anime storyline leaves something to be desired by it's ending. It was actually made while the manga it's based on was on hiatus due to the magazine it was published in going out of business. (So they basically did a quick anime only story wrap up.) After the anime production, the manga got picked up again and went on to have a much longer, more detailed story and resolution. I'm actually reading it now and it's very good. But it might never have been able to continue without the anime, so I'm grateful for the anime!

If you liked the style and characters of Trigun though I really strongly recommend last year's anime adaptation of the manga author's current series: Blood Blockade Battlefront. I believe it's available to watch on Funimation's website. I'm currently reading that manga too and it's just awesome.

I finished Arslan Senki aka The Heroic Legend of Arslan and I liked it very much. The setting is great, drawing heavy influence from the middle east, Arslan himself is a great MC to root for, and some of the fights are great.

It's a shame the finale lacked any real sense of conclusion, because at the moment so many things are still unresolved like...

taking back Ecbatana, defeating Hermes, whatever the hell is going on with Queen Tahemanay (is she going to marry that fat Lusitanian king?). What about whatever the hell Gieve was sent to do.

I'm hoping it gets a season 2 so these plots can be resolved, and if so, I'm eagerly anticipating it.

Also, a side thing, but I find Farangis' design slightly cringe-worthy, it's as though she was drawn by a horny 14-year-old. I mean, I've seen worse, but still. As a character she's still alright.

Season 2 has already been announced for this year, probably beginning in spring or summer season.

FYI, the anime is based on the ongoing manga of the same name which is based on a novel series that has been going since the 80s. The manga adaptation is drawn by award winning artist Hiromu Arawkawa of Fullmetal Alchemist fame. The anime designs are based on her designs. She is, in fact, a middle aged woman. ;)

I've been obsessed with Pokemon and classic Yu-Gi-Oh since they came out, long before I knew what anime was, then went through a huge anime phase from 9-13 along with all my other friends. Got really into Inuyasha and Yu Yu Hakusho, kinda into Full Metal Alchemist, Tokyo Mew Mew, and Naruto, but I have a short attention span and only really stuck with my childhood faves, IY, and YYH. I'd also like to rewatch FMA, but my former friends drove Naruto and most others into the ground for me. They're all into cosplaying, making out in public dressed as their favorite ships, obsessing over every new anime that hits Netflix like it's their religion, using random Japanese to sound cool like when we were all 11, etc. Not knocking them for it or anything, they've made way worse choices, but I'd rather just watch a show in peace and quiet snuggled up with my mate. And find an active YYH forum to discuss Makai physics, 90s Japan teen culture, and character psychology in depth.

Mythopoet

Auror
Well, I don't know about YYH (haven't seen much of that around) but there's still a very active InuYasha fandom on tumblr. InuYasha was my first anime so I'm a huge fan of it myself and stalk the fandom a bit even though I don't have much to contribute. There are a lot of manga/anime fandoms on tumblr, in fact. And I'm part of a few that dig deep into the stories and character psychology.

If you rewatch FMA, make sure it's FMA: Brotherhood. The first anime series has an anime original ending because it was made before the manga was completed and it's great for as long as it follows the manga, and then goes way downhill as soon as it starts the original material. FMA: Brotherhood on the other hand was made after the manga was completed and follows the manga material to the end. It is significantly superior to the first anime, and easily, in my opinion, one of the the greatest fantasy stories of any medium ever.

Gryphos

Auror
So I recently completed Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and damn, that was f*ckin sweet. People have been screaming at me to watch it and now I see why. It's just so good. The premise is intriguing, the characters are such fun (Izumi is the best!), and the story has so many great twists and turns and even some really thought-provoking themes. Easily one of the best anime I've seen.

teacup

Auror
Watched an anime movie "Tekkonkinkreet"
It was weird. Really great animation and it was interesting, and there's a big part near the end of the movie which I absolutely loved. I've rewatched that part about 3 times now just because of how weird, creepy, and awesome it is, and because of the animation.

So I recently completed Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and damn, that was f*ckin sweet. People have been screaming at me to watch it and now I see why. It's just so good. The premise is intriguing, the characters are such fun (Izumi is the best!), and the story has so many great twists and turns and even some really thought-provoking themes. Easily one of the best anime I've seen.

Same here. I'd been meaning to watch it for the longest and I finally got around to it. Glad I did. I absolutely loved it. Sadly, Funimation is going to stop licensing it in March which means I have to by it if I want to keep watching it. It'll be at least $40 if I buy it off Ebay, but I think it's worth it.

I read they were having a season 2 this year.

Gryphos

Auror
So, having heard all over the place that it's one of the greatest anime series ever made, I recently decided to watch Cowboy Bebop. And I ended up being a little disappointed.

Disclaimer: I do not think that CB is a bad show; there's a lot to like, from the fantastic soundtrack to the well-written, frequently funny characters (I love Edward). However, the show fails to live up to the immense praise, IMO.

I think my problems generally boil down to the disappointing story. Now, while I understand that it is clearly an episodic series not intending to have a grand over-arching narrative, I can't help but feel this had a detrimental effect on its storytelling at an episode level. Plots were rushed, characters weren't given enough time to develop, and at the end of it, nothing seemed to be gained for the main group. And when the show tried to have a main plot, it was lacklustre. Spike's mysterious past is about as generic as it gets, and his romance with Julia is so forced, with Julia herself being unbelievably bland. And then there's the incredibly subtly named Vicious, who is totally boring with nothing interesting about him other than the fact that he had a cool outfit and a cool-looking bird. The show builds him up as Spike's ultimate rival who he ends up having a final confrontation with, but he gets like 15 minutes of screen time in the entire series, so there's nowhere near enough emotional investment when that final confrontation happens. It just ends up being anticlimactic.

And then there's just little plot inconsistencies that bug me. For instance, the Bebop crew are all super badass in their own way, and yet we're supposed to believe that they suck at their jobs enough that they're constantly poor. Like, mate, you've got a dude who can take out like a whole building of gangsters and a kid who must be one of the best hackers in the galaxy. How are you struggling to catch bounties?

To me, where the show shines is in its small-scale character interactions. The banter between the Bebop crew had me laughing regularly, and when there were heartfelt conversations, it worked. It's those moments that make this show good, but the plot flaws that stop it being amazing.

Gryphos

Auror
After being slightly disappointed by Cowboy Bebop, I ended up watching an anime I very much enjoyed: Baccano. The best way to sum this show up is if Quentin Tarentino or Guy Ritchie directed an anime. Fun fact: the title 'Baccano' is apparently an Italian word meaning 'ruckus' or 'din' or 'racket', etc. And this is perfect for the show.

The show basically has three main plot lines, set in 1930, 1931 and 1932, and the show will flit between them multiple times within single episode. Thankfully, though, the show manages to clue the viewer as to which plot line they're going into quite well, so rarely was I confused. Except for the first episode. When I recommend this show to a friend, I basically told them to not expect to understand anything that's going on by the end of episode one. You won't, you'll be scratching your head going wtf. But that just makes the first episode so satisfying to going back to after you've finished the series, because now you get, for example, what's up with the guy on the roof of the train.

Some standout things:

Isaac & Miria. These two were comedy f*cking gold. Easily one of the best duos I've ever seen in a show.

Claire Stanfield. This dude is no joke. He's straight up the most savage guy in this show, and also the most fascinating when it comes to his philosophy, being a solipsist who sees himself as the centre of the universe and thus genuinely believes himself incapable of dying, since he cannot comprehend a world in which he does not exist. He's also the most brutal character; the way he takes people out ... ouch.

Ladd Russo. While being a horrible psychopath, this dude was hella entertaining, especially in the dub version of the show, which I watched. Whoever his English voice actor was, he did a damn good job.

The jazzy soundtrack was also on point, especially the main theme and the opening.

In all, this was an extremely satisfying watch and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone, so long as they're not too put off by extreme violence and gore (since there was actually a lot more of that than I expected).