• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo 2015 Thread

Zadocfish

Troubadour
I started officially! The title (for now) is Pupa et Somnia, a story with a prologue about a bunch of scientists and a main story about a little doll-man driven from his home by moths and forced to travel the world of Dreams.

I've even made a little mini-cover for the "cover" field on the NaNoWriMo site!
thumb.png

I also managed to write 675 words tonight, so I have a start. Only 49,325 words to go! So glad to be a part of this! Enthusiasm is running high!

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Today was a 'blah' day in the real world, which is better than the hectic disasters of the last couple days.

I realized this morning a sort of filler chapter was required, one not in the outline. Worse, the amateur hour movie clips playing in my head for this chapter were especially stunted and substandard. No real idea how to order things. Made up a short bullet list of what I did know - 70 words total. Then I started writing with no enthusiasm whatsoever. Figured I might as well try to get at least a few hundred words in. Did one mini-scene, went back, chose a different starting point, and wrote three more mini scenes leading into that one, then kept right on going. Didn't finish the chapter, but I did do 1530 words, giving me 19150 words total.

Meeting the overall goal at a steady pace means 25000 words by the end of the 15th. I might not have that, but I should be close, within a couple thousand words at least, especially since Sunday is a day off.

Gryphos

Auror
So my word count today was pretty pitiful (for me, compared to how I started the month): only 375 words. Fun fact though, this is the exact same amount of words I managed to write yesterday, so that's pretty cool, I guess.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Another 1800 words. 20950 total.

Finished the 'filler chapter' I began yesterday. 2700 words plus. And here I figured it would be lucky to top 700. Started on chapter 14. I'd initially thought it maybe 1000-1200 words, but it looks like it'll blow right past that.

Ok, that's me. How about the rest of you?

Did Teacup finish his novella or collapse from exhaustion?

Has Chesterama finished any of her novellas/ghostwriting projects or is she attempting to figure out the intricacies of FO4?

How about Tom, Lunaaris, Nimue, and the rest? Come on guys, how goes the writing?

i only got 375 words today as well. It was more like finishing off a chapter and less like actually writing anything new down.

(fallout 4 has greatly reduced my ability to focus on writing.)

Last edited:

teacup

Auror
Did Teacup finish his novella or collapse from exhaustion?
I've written 0 words in 5 days :c
Some days I've been too tired to write and other days I've been busy. Also Fallout 4 happened at times.

I'm going to attempt to write more soon but I'm starting to feel tired again so I'm not sure if I'll be able to do much.
(Tiredness is due to a medical condition - too much iron in my blood. Nothing bad, it just makes me tired often until I get the blood out of me :p )

Tom

Istar
Hello everyone, I am not in fact dead. However, I might as well be, since I came down Friday with a crippling case of the flu. My productivity this weekend has been absolutely zero.

I dropped off anything resembling social media, stoically ignored my ever-mounting pile of end-of-semester schoolwork, potentially enraged my employer by calling in sick, and have spend the entire weekend curled up in a miserable sick ball in bed listening to Welcome to Night Vale and re-reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. So far I've had a violent coughing fit out of sheer rage every time Umbridge shows up. This is really not how I envisioned my weekend going.

Nimue

Auror
Wrote 1200 today, but unfortunately I took yesterday off as well as Friday (while getting a lot of chores and errands done, though!). So not quite the output I was hoping for this weekend. Still, I'm well ahead on pace for my 10-12k word goal right now, with 7,620 words for the month so far, and a neat 35,008 words in this draft as a whole! It feels good to be getting through these scenes, after thinking about them for so long.

Caught multiple typos after re-reading my writing today, though. If I don't have speed or accuracy, what have I got?!

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Today was a beast at work. Came home tired and grumpy. Didn't feel like writing, but sat and typed away anyhow. 900 words, each and every one of them a struggle. 24850 words total.

And tomorrow promises to be another beast of a day. Well, at least I should finish this chapter tomorrow...but its not a very long chapter.

Nimue

Auror
Ehehehhh... About that. *gently places forehead on desk* This scene is turning out...worse than the first draft? And I can't nick too much of the old draft because it's in a different setting with slightly different characters? I dunno if writing last minute before bed to meet a word count is the best way to get my head into it...

Tom

Istar
I wrote through a scene in longhand last night because I was so stuck I couldn't think. Now I have another scene I'm stuck on, and I'm pretty sure I'll have to do the same thing...:(

I hate writing longhand.

For an artist, I have very poor fine motor skill in my finger muscles (all or most of my movements when I'm drawing come from my wrist), and writing in anything other than block letters for an extended amount of time kills me.

Nimue

Auror
I actually love writing longhand, it's pretty and feels great. Writing is much easier for me when things are joined-up and loopy--even my print kind of flows together. On the other hand, I don't do it a lot and I feel you because of the extra time it takes to read and type up, and the fact that my writing is almost illegible at first glance. Whenever I write from my journal there ends up being a lot of squinting and tilting the page under my nose.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Istar
Lol, my class notes are basically illegible. And the story notes I scribble down in the middle of the night when inspiration strikes. I started writing in block letters because my print is scrawl, and don't even mention cursive! When I had to learn cursive in school I developed carpal tunnel (which I still have to this day) because of the way I had to hold the pen to make the movements.

Nimue

Auror
Oh no, your poor hands! Block letters are also the only reliably neat script that you can get out of me--but I've always thought that my handwriting is almost as good as a cipher in terms of concealing what I'm writing about from other people, so I continue writing all story-things in cursive.

The only C I ever got in a subject was in penmanship in second grade. Also the last time I was graded on penmanship, so draw your own conclusions. Thank god for the advent of the word processor.

Reactions: Tom

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Another bear of a day at work, though not as bad as yesterday. The writing was a bit of a slog as well. Did 1500 words, about half of that additions to earlier chapters, things that were bugging me. Did finish Chapter 15. 26350 words total.