• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo 2015 Thread

Tom

Istar
Summary of today's NaNo research so far:

1. Baltic amber

2. Mother-of-pearl

3. Water horse or kelpie

4. Maggie Steifvater's Scorpio Races, because it's all about water horses

5. Sydney LaFaire, because apparently she's someone's fancast for Puck Connoly in Scorpio Races

6. Half an hour wasted being lazy tumblr trash

7. Celtic harp-->lute-->back to Celtic harp

8. Bone flute-->can you make a horse bone flute?-->hypothetically, of course

9. Searching for hippocamp concept art from Percy Jackson

10. Another half hour wasted by trying to find said concept art on a friend's tumblr, because I know she posted it a few months ago, only to find myself reverting to lazy tumblr trash behavior and browsing her art tag instead

Last edited:
C

Chessie

But what is this 'Fallout Four' everybody here seems to be yacking about?
It's a post-apocalyptic RPG and only one of the awesomest games ever. Totally in tie with TES (hey, made by the same people). :D

I won't be playing until tomorrow morning though. Took the weekend off, sitting down to write now, so hopefully I'll come back with a good chunk in the thousands to get me back on track.

teacup

Auror
31,219 now. I had planned to spend all day writing today and try to get 10k or more again but my cpu fan died so I had to replace it before writing. Had a late start, wrote around 4k today.

I'm 1st in my region for wordcount now but I have a problem. It doesn't look like this story will reach 50k. Maybe 40-45k at very most.
I might end up writing something else for whatever wordcount I have left.

But what is TES?

The elder scrolls . if you are interested in finding out more about the elder scrolls and Fallout 4, might I recomend the ever informative Shoddy cast Lore serise: Elder scrolls and Fallout

Both are excellent role playing games that have you live in a world different from our own.

Fallout is based in our own world in an alternate time line where the transistor is never invented and the world advances with a 50s aesthetic. Cold war threats continue into the 20th century which eventually delve into a world war that last for about 20 minutes because everyone in the word with nukes fires them, turning the world into a post apocalyptic night mare. You play a vault dweller through some circumstance you need to venture forth into the wasteland, to find something for your vault or to find something for yourself. None of the games are really connected other then the world. As in these kind of role playing games the world is the most important character.

The Elder scrolls features a fantasy world known as Nirn. You can be one of nine races? (its nine right I keep forgetting one or something). These games typically take place in one of the provinces of tamriel ( a continent on this world) and you are often a prisoner who is set free/ escapes at the beginning of the game only to have destiny trust some important task upon you. Like stop the evil daedra (a type of god) from destroying/ conquering/ eating the world, to stopping a necromancer from taking the ruby throne etc.

Both like that you the player decides how you play the game. For once you start the game there are thousands of different ways you can go through it. What you come across/ how you come across it may be different. Its your world and your story to tell.

-----------------------------------------

AS FOR MY WRITING. I wrote 2081 words today and I am still behind by 900. There is just no winning on this : (. Maybe this week end I'll be able to get rid of that 900 that I'm still having to make up for, because I didn't write for three days.

Nimue

Auror
I just checked and I've written 5,282 words on Wildwitch this month! I'm so excited--and man, it's so sad that that's exciting to me... The current draft is sitting at 32,657, and I'm hitting plot points that took me much, much longer to get to on my first draft, so that at least feels pretty respectable.

(Still don't want to think about how long this story will end up running. Really don't want to think about it.)

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
As anticipated, today was a bear in the real world. I expect more of the same tomorrow.

But: 1200 words, give or take (again). 13400 words total. Finished Chapter 10, got a good start on Chapter 11 (had to do a bit of research for that one, slowing things down a bit). Also went back and added a bit more to prior chapters, hence the uncertain word count. I seem to be doing a sort of 'half rewrite' of earlier chapters prior to tapping away at new sections.

The next couple of chapters will require some thought because the tale is deviating from the outline.

C

Chessie

Um...so far I've written 1000 words. Woopsie...Fallout 4 has me entranced. I'm not worried though. Once my husband comes home from work he'll be playing the game, and then I'll be writing so...it all evens out. XD

Nimue

Auror
It's never too late to wriiiiiiite!

My goal's 12-16k (because I'm a wimp). I bet you could hit higher than that in the remainder of the month. On the other hand, Teacup's three-quarters of the way there, so maybe you could do the whole thing. :p

(Had a meh session last night, but I did hit a minimum. Some places it's like...this is placeholder writing. I really need to put something better there eventually.)

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
As anticipated, yesterday was a bear. Maybe two bears.

Another book I'd ordered arrived; read some of that. (Anthology of Lovecraft style short stories - some of them reminded me of pieces I'd seen here.)

Plus, I wasn't able to access this site yesterday.

Did about 1100 words (had to rework part of the outline.)

And while I'm off today, there be plenty of real world tasks to see too.

Tom

Istar
I don't want to write today. But it's NaNoWriMo, so I should write today. All I want to do today is sleep.

C

Chessie

So I did meet my word count on Monday after all, but then yesterday I chose to play Fallout instead. Look here, I've waited years for this game and the timing is horrid this go around for NaNo.

However, I have good news! My dictation software came in last night and I'm about to install it. So...catching up will be possible now with less stress. One of my writing deadlines is in another week so I better bust some caps. :D

Nimue

Auror
I'm curious, do you find writing through dictation to be easier? Just quicker than typing? How much editing do you generally need to do after dictating something?

Tom

Istar
I'm curious, do you find writing through dictation to be easier? Just quicker than typing? How much editing do you generally need to do after dictating something?

See, I'd never want to use dictation, because I feel it would give me far too much free rein to ramble, backtrack, self-correct, and go off on tangents as I do in my regular speech. Plus I wouldn't want to edit that jumbled mess afterwards.

Seriously. I am the worst person to have a conversation with. Due to ADD, I always have multiple thought threads going at once, and they cross as I'm talking in...interesting ways.

C

Chessie

I'm behind again :( Fallout is stealing my life and I wanna draw a comic for one of the main quest line missions.
It's stealing my life as well. Fortunately I have two deadlines this week keeping my ass on track.

As far as dictation goes, it's an easier and more efficient way for me to work. Like any other habit though, it takes time and practice to incorporate it. The program doesn't let you ramble though. It works best if you speak clearly with whole phrases and sentences. Dragon also needs to be trained to your particular voice, and you can adjust a vocabulary for it to choose words from for editing. Instead of typing 1k an hour, I do 2k an hour. It also helps that I outline and use story beats as I talk into the microphone, so the story heads in the right direction. Dictation is the way to go for me and I'm working on moving over to it permanently because it's just so much faster. Plus I can walk around while I dictate and that helps stimulate my creativity somehow.

Nimue

Auror
Wow, I'm trying to imagine doing that and kind of failing. I absolutely couldn't talk about what I'm writing out loud--even if I'm the only one in my apartment, that'd be incredibly embarrassing. If I'm trying to get something across clearly, writing is far easier for me than speaking.

Wrote a little bit tonight, but didn't even hit my goal. Feeling increasingly negative about this whole endeavor. Nnnngh.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
2300 words today. Less than what I'd hoped. But at 16,800 words total, I am within a few hundred words of the NaNoWriMo target. According to their chart, at this rate, I hit 50,000 words December 3rd. But work is going to be a pain the next few days, so my daily WC will drop. Still...

Also, I'm on Chapter 12. Outline starts getting real patchy along about Chapter 18, and sort of craters along about Chapter 21. If I fold book 3 into this...that'll mean 30+ chapters.