• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Plot Holes

When first going about outlining, brainstorming, and plotting your novel, you end up with several holes? I constantly ask myself the following questions:

-Would he/she really do that?
-Why would he/she care?
-Would they really do x instead of y?

And with that, my plot and entire story seems to stem from the different paths taken. Is it the same for you? Curiosity has struck me.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I don't end up with plot holes, but I end up with things missing that I constantly have to go back and put in.

When I brainstorm, I tend to start wherever. Usually something fun and fantastical that I want to do. And then I jump to the climax to figure out where things are going. Then I figure out what's necessary to get there.

Repeat for each chapter.

Rikilamaro

Inkling
I don't end up with plot holes, but I end up with things missing that I constantly have to go back and put in.

When I brainstorm, I tend to start wherever. Usually something fun and fantastical that I want to do. And then I jump to the climax to figure out where things are going. Then I figure out what's necessary to get there.

Repeat for each chapter.

This sounds exactly like what I do. I usually start with a fun scene and figure out who the characters are and then go back and figure out what led them to that moment. I can't do outlines. They make my head hurt.

bbeams32

Scribe
I don't formally outline usually. I come up with a general flow of the book in my head, usually when out jogging when I have no distractions. However, this method does tend to lead to plot holes. I embrace the challenge of filling those holes while still keeping things logical and reasonable, typically by asking the same types of questions you mentioned in your post.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I begin with a character I like, then I think of about five scenes I really want them to be involved in, jot those down, then I think about how to connect those dots, and the end is usually a mystery until I have written it. So yes, sometimes my beginning can be vague and slow, and my plot holes can be gaping by the time I get to the end... but that's what editing is for :) good luck, as long as your system works for you, you're alright, as long as you get there in the end.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Those questions are pretty similar to what I ask myself. But there's one question I answer before asking those. What does the character want, short and long term? Knowing the answer to this question guides me through the answers to the questions above. I find it helps me avoid the huge plot holes where you end up banging your head and erasing half the book. :p