• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Some interesting thoughts on the Horror Protagonist

Forgive this being a day late, but this applies to many things we writers work with. While I know the series is about video games, I often find their discussions can touch on many things writers deal with. Heck, video games don't write themselves.

So, without further ado: The Horror Protagonist.

Do you have an opinion on this? Are they right about the three levels? Can you see this incorporated in your WIP?

Sparkie

Auror
Hmm...

Thought most of what I saw was smart and intuitive. I do have an issue with one point, but I'd better not post it. All that will do is draw the naysayers out to post replies of how stupid I am to think about things the way I do.

Thanks for the share, Leif. Good stuff.

Thanks Sparkie! Trust me, I think I know where you are going with it. However, I will say this is a video game commentary from a video game point of view. You can take what you need out of it and apply it to writing as best you can.

This is good advice for survival horror, but as much as I love the genre's aesthetics, I've always found its mindset limiting. I've waxed poetic (and essayic) about the cleverness of Silent Hill 2 and Amnesia: the Dark Descent, but my favorite horror game of all time is The Suffering, an "action horror" piece whose protagonist is a hardened criminal. I also love Splatterhouse (especially the remake), which relies more on fear of being unable to save one's loved ones than on fear of being able to save oneself, and I've made the case that, despite its military shooter veneer, Spec Ops: The Line is a better horror game than most actual horror games.

(Now that I think about it, almost every horror game I like has a protagonist with serious psychological issues . . .)

Last edited:
I wish captions were always available on videos -_-

I'll try to check out the video at a later date. Thanks for the post!